build date for 2012 steering shudder fix? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thereaper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

build date for 2012 steering shudder fix?

Can someone tell me the build date in the 2012 model year, when they fixed the EPAS (electronic power assist steering) system to eliminate the shuddering / shaking problem? I'm pretty sure the problem was mostly caused when changing the bushings out to something firmer, but it could happen with the stock bushings also. Part way through the 2012 model year, the EPAS (rack?) was changed to correct this issue.

I'm pretty sure the date is in a thread or two on here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them yet.

The reason I'm asking is, I am thinking about buying a 2012 car, and I want to make sure that I get one that was built after the fix.

Thanks in advance!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

Last edited by JBert; 07-15-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have a Jan 2012 build date and I do not have that issue. But I don't know when they incorporated it in production.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

^ thanks, that narrows it down a bit!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019
BOSS Member

Garage
My 2011 never had that issue.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well, it turns out that one of the 2012's I am looking at, was built in December, 2011 . . . so I do need to nail down the date.

Reaper, did you install hard poly bushings in your front lower control arms? I will want to do that, and I have read that makes the steering rack go crazy on the 2011's and early 2012's, before the issue was fixed/updated.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019
BOSS Member

Garage
My 2011 suspension was stock.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
My 2011 suspension was stock.
same here no issues. Now i have yellow Konis and Eibach springs and nothing either.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discohouse View Post
same here no issues. Now i have yellow Konis and Eibach springs and nothing either.
Thanks for the reply . . . you also have the stock bushings in the front a-arms, correct? The struts and springs do not cause the issue to show itself, it happens when you replace the soft factory bushings with hard "poly" aftermarket bushings. This is one of the things that the road track guys do, to firm up the steering and maintain camber under hard (really hard) cornering.

There is a 23-page thread on another forum that discusses the issue, but they never quite narrowed down the build date when the fix was implemented in the 2012 production. The do-it-yourself fix is to install a Boss 302 steering rack, or a rack from a later year.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019
Apprentice

Garage
I also have a 2012 gt. I don't have this issue either. I believe it is an early build but I am not sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 Lava Red GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hey Dalton -- did you replace the bushings in your front lower control arms (a-arms) with Energy Suspension or Prothane bushings? If yes, that would confirm that your car has the updated steering rack, and it would be great if you could check your build date; it is on the sticker in the driver's door jam. Thanks!n

EDIT/UPDATE: I got your PM but for some strange reason, the system would not let me reply . . . will try again in a minute . . . thanks for offering to help, but the build date doesn't really mean much if we do not know if your car has the issue or not, and we can't tell if it has the issue if you have not installed hard bushings.

Last edited by JBert; 07-19-2019 at 02:44 PM.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Thanks for the reply . . . you also have the stock bushings in the front a-arms, correct? The struts and springs do not cause the issue to show itself, it happens when you replace the soft factory bushings with hard "poly" aftermarket bushings. This is one of the things that the road track guys do, to firm up the steering and maintain camber under hard (really hard) cornering.

There is a 23-page thread on another forum that discusses the issue, but they never quite narrowed down the build date when the fix was implemented in the 2012 production. The do-it-yourself fix is to install a Boss 302 steering rack, or a rack from a later year.
correct. Stock bushings and my build date was summer 2010 (i think).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page