Door panel insert falling off - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Door panel insert falling off

So i have a 2011 GT base model and about a month ago i remade my trunk floor liner because the particle board (or whatever they use0 literally fell off the carpet when i removed it to vacuum it. Now the door panel inserts are coming apart. Has anyone replaced them or experienced this? Also I've searched and believe they are basically taped on? How should i go about taking them off and then putting them back on?

Also I'm guessing I remake them with thin wood and wrap it with whatever material i want and attach that with spray adhesive 77 and staples. I'm lost after that.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2167.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	611161  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

earth magnets work well for this as well!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
They had this problem with the first generation S197's. They still can't figure out how to permanently glue something together? That and the hood corrosion that is still plaguing current models, prompted me to get rid of my 2006 Mustang. FORD get your act together.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheN00B View Post
So i have a 2011 GT base model and about a month ago i remade my trunk floor liner because the particle board (or whatever they use0 literally fell off the carpet when i removed it to vacuum it. Now the door panel inserts are coming apart. Has anyone replaced them or experienced this? Also I've searched and believe they are basically taped on? How should i go about taking them off and then putting them back on?

Also I'm guessing I remake them with thin wood and wrap it with whatever material i want and attach that with spray adhesive 77 and staples. I'm lost after that.

I've had this very issue with my '06, '08, and now my '11 GT. A couple of weeks ago I re-glued the drivers side panel back on and it seems to be doing okay for now except for a small area but it isn't a big deal yet. I had a auto shop quote me $150 just to do one side so I decided to try it myself.

Here's what I did:
  1. Removed the vinyl from the door and cleaned the old foam backing off the door using a wire brush. Make sure you get everything off the door panel area. Then, do the same on the vinyl insert. Wipe both down with a cloth then vacuum to remove any stray foam particles. Both have to be as clean as you can get them.
  2. Use either blue painter's tape or green automotive tape to mask the exposed door panel around the area you want to spray. Try to get as close to the edge of the work area as you can. Tape off the arm rest completely.
  3. I sprayed headliner adhesive on the door panel area and the back of the vinyl insert. The instructions on the can say to wait around 5 minutes or until tacky then place the vinyl on. I have to warn you that you won't have much, if any, wiggle room to readjust the piece after you start pressing it back on so try to line it up best you can.
  4. I used a plastic tool much like a screwdriver to tuck the excess into the space around the panel.

2011 GT (Mustang No. 7)
Candy Red

No mods...yet
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice
S197 Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howelldaddy View Post
They had this problem with the first generation S197's. They still can't figure out how to permanently glue something together? That and the hood corrosion that is still plaguing current models, prompted me to get rid of my 2006 Mustang. FORD get your act together.

I simply cannot understand why Ford hasn't corrected this issue yet. I've read that if you live in a hot and humid area the foam backing on the vinyl rots away much faster than if you lived in a more moderate climate. I live in Alabama and let me tell you it's hot and humid if it's anything. Ford should just leave the foam out of the equation since it's going to fail or at least give us one free trip to the dealer for them to fix.

2011 GT (Mustang No. 7)
Candy Red

No mods...yet
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeveman View Post
I've had this very issue with my '06, '08, and now my '11 GT. A couple of weeks ago I re-glued the drivers side panel back on and it seems to be doing okay for now except for a small area but it isn't a big deal yet. I had a auto shop quote me $150 just to do one side so I decided to try it myself.

Here's what I did:
  1. Removed the vinyl from the door and cleaned the old foam backing off the door using a wire brush. Make sure you get everything off the door panel area. Then, do the same on the vinyl insert. Wipe both down with a cloth then vacuum to remove any stray foam particles. Both have to be as clean as you can get them.
  2. Use either blue painter's tape or green automotive tape to mask the exposed door panel around the area you want to spray. Try to get as close to the edge of the work area as you can. Tape off the arm rest completely.
  3. I sprayed headliner adhesive on the door panel area and the back of the vinyl insert. The instructions on the can say to wait around 5 minutes or until tacky then place the vinyl on. I have to warn you that you won't have much, if any, wiggle room to readjust the piece after you start pressing it back on so try to line it up best you can.
  4. I used a plastic tool much like a screwdriver to tuck the excess into the space around the panel.
define wire brush. Like one you put on a cordless drill? but my plan was to take off the panel (which is made of particle board, no?) and rewrap it in in new material if the current vinyl isn't salvageable. and then 3m tape it back on. i don't know how comfortable I'd be with spraying the door. But i was going to use adhesive 77 spray on the new material to put on the door insert.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeveman View Post
I simply cannot understand why Ford hasn't corrected this issue yet. I've read that if you live in a hot and humid area the foam backing on the vinyl rots away much faster than if you lived in a more moderate climate. I live in Alabama and let me tell you it's hot and humid if it's anything. Ford should just leave the foam out of the equation since it's going to fail or at least give us one free trip to the dealer for them to fix.
Ya I'm in Columbia, SC (armpit of the south) and this summer has gotten my car GOOD. my rear window tint has started to bubble, my trunk liner board literally fell off the carpet when i pulled it out of the trunk to vacuum (redid that with wood) and now the door inserts are coming undone.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yep, door panel inserts peeling away happens with the S197 with more frequency than we want but before slapping Ford, a lot of brands have door panel problems. BMW has fabric inserts in some of their models that peel away. Dodge door panels tend to peel where they door panel tucks along the side windows.

You can spend a little money and time and repair the insert or buy a new door panel. Or rip the fabric insert off and clean off the remaining foam and glue from the door panel and spray paint the area. My V6 Limer had solid door panels and that avoided the problem altogether. But my GT has the insert and I have had to repaired it.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
There is a thread on this forum titled"Dang Door Vinyl Inserts!!!", from July 11, 2019. It also addresses this issue.
TheN00B likes this.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
There is a thread on this forum titled"Dang Door Vinyl Inserts!!!", from July 11, 2019. It also addresses this issue.
Thanks!
huberoy123 likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

I have a '08 GT. I read about this issue all the time and I guess I don't get what the big deal is. My passenger side was a little worse than the driver side.
Fearful of all the chatter about it I was cautious to try anything. I took some Elmer's glue and applied a little into the groove where the material had separated,
pushed the flapping piece back in, wiped away any excess glue with a damp sponge and put some painter's tape on it to hold. Elmer's dries clear.
Next day all was fine and has been fine since. About 1 year now.

I looked at the price for the replacement door inserts and they were ridiculous. Are people saying I should expect this to separate again?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettzen View Post
I have a '08 GT. I read about this issue all the time and I guess I don't get what the big deal is.
People live in diff climates, I've put gorilla glue and it stills peels out eventually
huberoy123 likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettzen View Post
. . . . . .

I looked at the price for the replacement door inserts and they were ridiculous. Are people saying I should expect this to separate again?
It most likely will peel again.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
It most likely will peel again.
I wonder if a custom upholstery shop could provide a permanent fix.
Jeremy Weigel likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I never thought of that. Good idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page