How to remove water spots on gloss vinyl hood stripes - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
How to remove water spots on gloss vinyl hood stripes

How to remove water spots on gloss vinyl hood stripes....?

Folks, I've noticed that since I parked a couple times at work late at night when the sprinklers come on that I have some subtle water spots on my car and the gloss black stripes. They come off the car paint with car wax but subtle outlines still remain on the black gloss vinyl. Not very noticable but I can still see them..... Car wax does not seem to do the trick on the stripes. Anybody have experience with this....? The car is only 6 weeks old and the stripes were put on new 6 weeks ago. Thanks

Grabber Blue 2012 GT Mustang, 6 spd manual, basic model 300A, no options, charcoal black interior. On order 04/21/11. VIN received 05/26/11. Build date 06/08/11, delivered to dealer 06/21/11. Picked up 6/29 after black stripes installed by dealer. Roush axle backs installed.... Added OEM strut tower brace..... On the road......!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
Try a detailing product called Ice, works great on paint, glass, plastic and vinyl stripes.

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011
Try a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. It should break down those water spots, just don't leave it on very long. After you get the spots off, make sure you wash and wax to help prevent it from happening again.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011
5.0L Member
S197 Member
+1 Ice Detailer... I use it on all my Vehicles... great for after washing and drying...removing water spots...

Really any detailer will work...

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member
Toyota makes a product called Sealant Cleaner. Use just like liquid wax. Absolutely the best product I've ever used to remove water or acid rain spots on paint, plastic, or glass. I always keep a bottle on hand.

2011 GT Preminum, Red Candy Metallic, 4.10, Electronics, Rear View, Comfort, Security, Borla, 20" Saleen, FRPP springs, CS front valance w/fogs, Roush billet grille, Roush TVS 625hp, Kooks LT's and Catted H Pipe, Tremec Magumn XL, McLeod RXT, AutoMeter Gauges, Dynotech DS, Steeda adjustable UCA, Steeda adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCA's, Steeda A/O Separator, Tokico D-Specs, Raptor Shift Light, engine by Shrader Performance, Tune by ProDyno, 643rwhp, 548lb/ft tq
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page