Under Hood seam Corrosion - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Under Hood seam Corrosion

Hi,
A number of members of my Mustang Clug were discussing corrosion or, what to me sounds like electrolysis along hood seams, covered in Ford Technical Bulletins since 2000.
The concensus was it continues in all aluminum hood Mustangs, yet my allfordmustangs search did not bring any recent problems out.
Should this be a concern in a 2012?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

I've seen it on 2005-2009 Mustangs, but not on 2010-2012's yet...

2012 Ingot Silver Mustang - 3.7L V6, Performance Package (traded)
2012 HP White Mustang GT - 5.0L, Premium, 3.73 rear end
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Not to be a Mr. Correction, but I think you mean "galvanic corrosion" or "galvanic action" not electrolysis.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Search for |hood | aluminum | bubbling | rust | contaminated | oxidizing

Read about this last week IIRC on a 2010+ here on AFM.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
Not to be a Mr. Correction, but I think you mean "galvanic corrosion" or "galvanic action" not electrolysis.
Li, K, Na, Mg, and Be all pose a Galvanic threat to Pure Au. All the other elements below Au on this list pose a risk for galvanic action, but for that metal instead of the Au. I've seen this enough that I can tell you with 100% certainty that the metal that is oxidizing is the Au. If it truly is galvanic action, this could be stopped by using some kind of non-conductive insulation for the Hood Hinges and latches, effectively removing the hood from the common ground.

On a side note, it's important to note that this process is accelerated by changes in environmental pH, which can be controlled by the owner.

Electrode Potential at 77 F (25 C)
Anodic end (this is where the corrosion occurs)
Element
Standard Electrode Potential (Volts)
Lithium

Potassium
Sodium
Magnesium
Beryllium
Aluminum
Manganese
Zinc
Chromium
Iron; Mild Steel
Cadmium
Yellow Brass
50-50 Tin-Lead Solder
Cobalt
Nickel
Tin
Lead
Hydrogen reference electrode
Titanium
+0.055
Copper
+0.340
Mercury
+0.789
Silver
+0.799
Carbon
+0.810
Platinum
+1.200
Gold
+1.420
Graphite
+2.250
Cathodic end, passive - (no corrosion here)

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Apprentice

My hood is corroding, ill have to get it repainted or replace it soon

2011 GT/CS Race Red auto

Interior: 5.0 floor mats
Exterior: 302 C.I. decals on hood, window tint 5% on back 15% on front, DG custom quarter window louvers
Performance: Roush Axelback, Bama tune, k&n drop in filter

Next Mod: 18 inch matte black bullitt rims w/ staggered 9/10 set up and nitto tires.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legioxvance View Post
Do you ever go through an automatic carwash? Did you ever Wipe down or wax the front underhood seam? Anything else you can let us know about that may have contributed to the oxidation/corrosion? Once it starts, you can't stop it by repainting it(I know this from experience, even if they sand down and remove all of the Oxidized Au it will return very quickly), you will either need a new factory Au Hood, or go with an aftermarket CF Hood.

Aaron S.

Gone but not forgotten

GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Li, K, Na, Mg, and Be all pose a Galvanic threat to Pure Au. All the other elements below Au on this list pose a risk for galvanic action, but for that metal instead of the Au. I've seen this enough that I can tell you with 100% certainty that the metal that is oxidizing is the Au.
  1. Au = GOLD not Al (Aluminum) As you already know gold is a noble metal, resistant to oxidation; and our hoods aren't made of Au.
  2. Sheet metal is not just Fe (Iron), but also Zn (Zinc) from galvanizing.
  3. The process as quoted by OP is NOT electrolysis
  4. The e-coating on the metal parts is supposed to form a barrier to galvanic action by sealing the metal.
  5. ANY time there is electrical potential and current flow caused by dissimilar metals there will be galvanic action/corrosion.
5 minutes work, an orange, a strip of galvanized metal (Zn and Fe), a piece of aluminum wire and a multimeter ...

No contact:

In an electrolytic solution:

In order for electron flow to occur, one metal component is oxidizing (corroding) and the other reducing (ie. redox reaction). This is galvanic action (Galvanic cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and the result is galvanic corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no-volt.jpg
Views:	2879
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	148754   Click image for larger version

Name:	yes-volt.jpg
Views:	3253
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	148755  

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Isn't the corrosion that occurs under these hoods due to "crevice corrosion" not "galvanic"? I mean, from my understanding, from the hoods I have seen (2005-2009 MY), and talking to owners, the corrosion starts under/at the hood seam. It is due to water and chemicals not being wiped out from the crevice...

"Crevice Corrosion" is what occurs in the under-side of doors. It occurs due to dissimilar polarities between the same material in stress (bent) and being bathed in an electrolyte (salt-water or water-chemical mix).

2012 Ingot Silver Mustang - 3.7L V6, Performance Package (traded)
2012 HP White Mustang GT - 5.0L, Premium, 3.73 rear end
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Isn't the corrosion that occurs under these hoods due to "crevice corrosion" not "galvanic"? I mean, from my understanding, from the hoods I have seen (2005-2009 MY), and talking to owners, the corrosion starts under/at the hood seam. It is due to water and chemicals not being wiped out from the crevice...

"Crevice Corrosion" is what occurs in the under-side of doors. It occurs due to dissimilar polarities between the same material in stress (bent) and being bathed in an electrolyte (salt-water or water-chemical mix).
If the paint is broken and exposed to an electrolyte (saltwater or even normal water) then yes; direct oxidation can occur; but it's still a redox or galvanic action. Aluminum tends to form a "skin" that will inhibit further corrosion (one of the desireable traits of using aluminum) unless spurred on by some sort of galvanic action. Don't forget that anywhere that the aluminum and sheetmetal touch that it will "charge" the metals and moisture (actual or airborne) completes the circuit.

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legioxvance View Post
Hey Legioxvance,

Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, mileage, contact info and dealer so I can look into this for you.

Deysha
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Austin Healeys were bad about this with aluminum fenders to steel panels. I thought the hoods on these cars were all aluminum, so why would there be corrosion?
Apprentice

Does anyone have a pic of this corrosion?
PONY Member

I don't have this problem but is there a way to prevent this from occurring? I've seen pics lately of paint bubbling along the edge of the hood, drying some area particularly, applying wax?

thanks

2011 V6 Premium ,Grabber Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto/2.73, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package.

Mods, Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels/245-45-19 P-Zeros, Wheel Locks, Ford Accessory Alarm, Ford All-Weather Mats, window tint, spare tire/jack, cam cap mod.
on deck... Polk Audio db571 X 4 speakers & baffles
MACH I Member
S197 Member

OAC, I was talking about my "Grille", Haha, TY for the correction and the experiment...BTW, the Al was redoxing in this experiment and not corroding, I wonder what redox reaction does to Al?

Toddo, I'll look and see if I have one on the lot.

Diver, I have not experienced this with my cars, But I wipeout/wax the underside of the hood every now and then, and do not go through automatic carwashes.

Aaron S.

Gone but not forgotten

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page