Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2011-2014 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011-2014 Mustang Talk Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 08-15-2012   #16 (permalink)
TommyV is offline PONY Member

TommyV's Country Flag
San Diego   California
TommyV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim2013 View Post
For anyone that requires clarification regarding what an "Event Data Recorder" is (hint...it's a black box):

Event data recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2012   #17 (permalink)
RodgerJerney is offline PONY Member

RodgerJerney's Country Flag
Southern   Indiana
RodgerJerney is on a distinguished road

I'll bet the real purpose of the black box is to keep Ford from being sued, in the event of injury or death resulting from a crash.
`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 91H, CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Paid Cash.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 08-15-2012   #18 (permalink)
shogun94 is offline Apprentice

shogun94's Country Flag
NY   New York
shogun94 is on a distinguished road

Can our insurance ever be denied if the black box indicates the car was speeding at the time of an accident? I guess if our cars have a black box I would like to know the legal ramifications of having it and or disabling it. If there is a GPS in the car, it could be used to log speed and position and result in a ticket. I don’t think this has happened yet because I have never heard of it happening and it if did, I sure we would all hear about it.
Unread 08-15-2012   #19 (permalink)
Grim2013 is offline PONY Member

Grim2013's Country Flag
Mostly   Massachusetts
Grim2013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun94 View Post
Can our insurance ever be denied if the black box indicates the car was speeding at the time of an accident? I guess if our cars have a black box I would like to know the legal ramifications of having it and or disabling it. If there is a GPS in the car, it could be used to log speed and position and result in a ticket. I don’t think this has happened yet because I have never heard of it happening and it if did, I sure we would all hear about it.
I think that's why there's the section in the manual about how law enforcement would need to work with Ford in order to be able to read the data from the EDR (unless that branch of law enforcement already owns the means to read EDR data). It DOES say, however, that they will give law enforcement that ability if served with a court order. I would imagine that insurance could deny a claim if EDR data was used as part of the police report.

Luckily Ford claims they won't use GPS location to track your speed unless it resulted in a crash/near-crash situation...but just like many safety measures, feels a little like big brother watching. It doesn't mean they WILL use it to screw people, but they can.
Unread 08-15-2012   #20 (permalink)
Grimace427

Quote:
Are you sure about that? From the sounds of the Owner's Manual, activation of any portion of the Supplemental Restraint System, be it the airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, rollover detectors, traction control, or Advancetrac, causes the Event Data Recorder (what I will refer to as the black box) to record the near-crash or actual crash circumstances.
Absolutely. Everything you have found is describing the SRS control unit which has been doing all of the event recording for about 15 years. This is nothing new. Crash data has been recorded and used for dozens of things from the Toyota 'unintended acceleration' to SUV rollover cases.

Note this is only for crash data, there is nothing to get worked up over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKing-713 View Post
... and how many times you change lanes without signaling.
If I ruled the world your car would explode immediately upon detecting this behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun94 View Post
I guess if our cars have a black box I would like to know the legal ramifications of having it and or disabling it. If there is a GPS in the car, it could be used to log speed and position and result in a ticket.
If you disable it you will lose your airbags and ETR(emergency tensioning retractors) seatbelts. The vehicle speed is measured through the wheelspeed sensors given from the traction control system and does not require GPS.

Quote:
Luckily Ford claims they won't use GPS location to track your speed unless it resulted in a crash/near-crash situation...but just like many safety measures, feels a little like big brother watching. It doesn't mean they WILL use it to screw people, but they can.
Again, GPS is not required to measure wheelspeed as the onboard wheelspeed sensors do that already.

Unread 08-15-2012   #21 (permalink)
Grim2013 is offline PONY Member

Grim2013's Country Flag
Mostly   Massachusetts
Grim2013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Again, GPS is not required to measure wheelspeed as the onboard wheelspeed sensors do that already.
Oh, I know. From time to time I find myself looking at the speedometer
Unread 08-15-2012   #22 (permalink)
Mustang No.7 is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Mustang No.7's Country Flag
Pineywoods   Texas
Mustang No.7 is on a distinguished road

There have already been cases of prosecution based on data retrieved from "black boxes". One in particular involved the death of a passenger in a vehicle which was involved in an accident on icy roads. On face value, anyone could have had an accident on icy roads, but data retrieved from the box indicated that the driver was exceeding the posted speed limit, on icy roads. IIRC, the charge was for vehicular manslaughter. Rest assured, this info will be used for legal purposes in the event of accidents where there appears to be extenuating circumstances.
Unread 08-15-2012   #23 (permalink)
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang No.6 View Post
There have already been cases of prosecution based on data retrieved from "black boxes". One in particular involved the death of a passenger in a vehicle which was involved in an accident on icy roads. On face value, anyone could have had an accident on icy roads, but data retrieved from the box indicated that the driver was exceeding the posted speed limit, on icy roads. IIRC, the charge was for vehicular manslaughter. Rest assured, this info will be used for legal purposes in the event of accidents where there appears to be extenuating circumstances.

100% correct.

So what we have learned here, unless you are in an accident with questionable causes there is nothing recorded in the vehicle that should give you any reason to worry. It can't be read by dealer technicians(I can't read anything related to this on the Mercedes I work on) and has no affect on warranty service or repair.

Unread 08-15-2012   #24 (permalink)
Freelancer is offline Made Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Freelancer's Country Flag  View Freelancer's 20 photos
Tulsa   Oklahoma
Freelancer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just cover your roof with aluminum foil, it blocks their signal...
LOL -- nice! I might have to do that once, just to be funny (and take a photo)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymonkey View Post
I just purchased a black box recorder to record video events in 1080p.It records your GPS position and speed along with video you see out your front/rear windows. Too many people intentionally backing up into cars around here and then blackmailing for money.
Link please? I was just about ready to mount my 1080P, 30 frames/second, GoPro in my car -- but I'm not happy about starting and stopping the camera all the time... If there is a better option on the market, I'd love to have it -- ESPECIALLY if it has two cameras (one in the front, and one in the back).
2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
Unread 08-15-2012   #25 (permalink)
Grimace427

Quote:
Do our Mustangs have a black box?-tinfoil-hat.jpgDo our Mustangs have a black box?-tinfoilhatarea.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
Link please? I was just about ready to mount my 1080P, 30 frames/second, GoPro in my car -- but I'm not happy about starting and stopping the camera all the time... If there is a better option on the market, I'd love to have it -- ESPECIALLY if it has two cameras (one in the front, and one in the back).
Doing 1080P @ 30 fps will fill your memory card damn quick, thankfully the GoPro has a time-lapse feature that can be effective for long term use.

Unread 08-15-2012   #26 (permalink)
Seadog is offline Banned

Seadog's Country Flag  View Seadog's 33 photos
Stillwater   Oklahoma
Seadog is on a distinguished road

In most cases, law enforcement will not be too interested in black box data unless absolutely necessary. The process to obtain a warrant, and then decode the data, place the data into context, and then take that information into a trial is not as practical as several witnesses saying the driver was driving stupid and caused the crash. The black box is mainly useful in accidents where there are no other reliable witnesses, or doubt about specifics.
Unread 08-15-2012   #27 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Tulsa   Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Doing 1080P @ 30 fps will fill your memory card damn quick, thankfully the GoPro has a time-lapse feature that can be effective for long term use.
4 hours and 21 minutes to fill the SD memory card.

And the GoPro camera has an option to LOOP when the memory gets full (just like the cockpit voice recorders on the airlines). So, in effect, the memory will never run out, and I will always have 4 hours to stop the camera and retrieve the video before it gets overwritten...
2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
Unread 08-16-2012   #28 (permalink)
Mustang No.7 is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Mustang No.7's Country Flag
Pineywoods   Texas
Mustang No.7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
LOL -- nice! I might have to do that once, just to be funny (and take a photo)...
If you do it, be sure to use the heavy weight stuff, the regular grade will allow some signal bleed thru...
Unread 08-16-2012   #29 (permalink)
412horses is offline GT Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

412horses's Country Flag  View 412horses's 5 photos
Columbus   Ohio
412horses is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's ridiculous... the foil has to cover the black box, not the roof.

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
Unread 08-17-2012   #30 (permalink)

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Tulsa   Oklahoma

You guys really got me thinking, and so I did some internet research for high definition dash cams. I found this one, and think it's the best choice on the market so far:

THE VIDEO DASH CAM STORE - Buy VC-127HD Now

It is 1080p High Definition, GPS (shows speed, direction, and Google Maps location), shock sensor (in 3-axis), etcetera -- and the price isn't bad either.

If I could only find their source for these -- they're obviously made in China (based on the "English as a second language" used in their operating manual). We could probably buy these in groups of 10 and get them much less expensively.

I've checked out Alibaba, but I can't find this exact one. Can anyone else help locate the source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164