Lloyd vinyl mats stink! - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012 Thread Starter
Lloyd vinyl mats stink!

Has anyone had a positive experience dealing with odd smell of Lloyd floor mats?
I put a set in about a month ago and they are still stinking the Stang up. I'll admit that after a few minutes inside the car the smell is not so noticeable but when you first open the door to get in.........whew!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
Made Member
S197 Member
Set them out in the sun for an afternoon. Maybe that'll help. Try wet-vacuuming them. Try spraying fabreeze. Probably just the smell of the glues and whatnot, it ought to go away.

I have no experience with this particular product. Those are just a few things I'd try.

2007 GT500 - White, Blue stripes, 2010 clutch, JLT123, SLP Loudmouth, VMP tune, AFCO heat exchanger, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks. #360 of all GT500 coupes. 13,000 miles.
RWHP - ?? ~500
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6spd - Daily Driver
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member
You are smelling the plasticizer that is coming out of the mats. It is what is added to make the plastic bendable. This is why your plastic shower curtains get brittle with age. Take your mats and immerse them in hot water, then rinse them in cold water. This will remove most of the smell. Time will remove the rest.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
You will find this problem with a wide variety of cheaply made plastic and rubber products, especially those made in China. I don't buy anything plastic or rubber anymore without giving it the sniff test in the store. If it stinks at the store, it's going to stink up your house or car. The smell won't magically ever go away if it's coming from what the material is made from or painted with.

For example I had to buy and return 3 coffee makers that reeked of toxic fumes so badly it changed the taste of the brew, all made in China, Krups, GE, and one off-brand I forgot the name of already. Finally I checked out the Cuisinart Coffee Makers (also made in China) at Kohl's which were made of a sturdier and less porous plastic that has no ambient smell at all.

I don't know where the Ford pony mats are made but mine had very little to no smell, all I could smell is the new car/leather smell, which is what I still smell today a year and a half later, just not as strong.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page