Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2011-2014 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011-2014 Mustang Talk Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

View Poll Results: Which tint?
Huper Optik Ceramic 1 10.00%
3M Crystalline 2 20.00%
Llumar Formula One Pinnacle Series 5 50.00%
Other 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-07-2013   #1 (permalink)
5.0_SD is offline Apprentice

5.0_SD's Country Flag
Central, FL via San Diego
5.0_SD is on a distinguished road
Default Help me pick a window tint to combat Florida heat

I think I've narrowed it down to three...

1. Huper Optik Ceramic
2. 3M Crystalline
3. Llumar Formula One Pinnacle Series

My goals are to have the most..,
1. Heat rejection
2. Solar Energy rejection
3. UV Protection

I think in Florida I can also get a clear tint on the windshield as well.
This will be going on a 2014 Sterling Gray Metallic GT so I would like the color of the tint to compliment the color of the car (although the goals listed above take precedence).

Any help is appreciated and thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2013   #2 (permalink)
Dawg5.0 is offline PONY Member

Dawg5.0's Country Flag
Stuart   Florida
Dawg5.0 is on a distinguished road

Check out the Suntek CXP film. It is rated just as high as the ones you listed and is significantly cheaper. I did my Mustang and the wife's cross-over for under $350. I put 45% all around on my car because I did not want to go too dark on this car since my last car was too hard to see out of at night. I can tell a huge difference in heat input when the sun is strong. If I drive with my arm on top of the steering wheel, I can feel the intense heat coming through the windshield onto my arm, but can barely even notice it through the side windows.

As for the windshield tint you mentioned, it technically is not legal in Florida unless you have found a 100% clear film. When I was researching, they all filtered 10%-20% still so technically it is illegal. It is so light though I doubt any cop would notice it. It may be an issue if you cause an accident though and someone lawyers up on you. Small chance, but a chance non the less. Also beware that some have posted that the windshield film can cause a haze in some instances. I have never been in a car with this type of film so I am only passing on rumors.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-07-2013   #3 (permalink)
dusman59 is online now PONY Member

dusman59's Country Flag  View dusman59's 9 photos
Mesa   Arizona
dusman59 is on a distinguished road

Llumar Formula One Pinnacle Series works very well in AZ. I also had my glass roof tinted with the clear as an exra layer of heat protection and have no heat issue.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/ES shift bushing/whiteline kdt928/Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop
Unread 05-07-2013   #4 (permalink)
winkawak is online now PONY Member

winkawak's Country Flag
PSL   Florida
winkawak is on a distinguished road

What's a good tint that allows my black mustang to blacked out look while being visible driving at night? I'm in Florida and a frist time window tinting.
Unread 05-07-2013   #5 (permalink)

Dawg5.0's Country Flag
Stuart   Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
What's a good tint that allows my black mustang to blacked out look while being visible driving at night? I'm in Florida and a frist time window tinting.
In terms of visibility in versus visibility out there won't be much difference between brands as long as you go with the metallized or ceramic films from the reputable brands. Metallized films will range from slightly more reflective to highly reflective depending on what you pick where as the ceramic ones will get you closer to a true black. The biggest affect on what you are looking for is mostly dependent on what tint level you get.
Unread 05-07-2013   #6 (permalink)

5.0_SD's Country Flag

I'm only going with ceramic...I believe the ones I listed are ceramic.
Unread 05-07-2013   #7 (permalink)

winkawak's Country Flag
PSL   Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg5.0 View Post
In terms of visibility in versus visibility out there won't be much difference between brands as long as you go with the metallized or ceramic films from the reputable brands. Metallized films will range from slightly more reflective to highly reflective depending on what you pick where as the ceramic ones will get you closer to a true black. The biggest affect on what you are looking for is mostly dependent on what tint level you get.
I'm thinking about going 40 or 45% all around. It won't be too dark and it gives my window a nice black tint to it. Watcha you think? Btw about how much should that cost me at a custom shop? Which one are more prone to haze, metabolized or ceramic?
Unread 05-07-2013   #8 (permalink)

Dawg5.0's Country Flag
Stuart   Florida

45% really is not all that dark. That is what I have on my car and it definitely does not have that blacked out look to it, but that was not my priority. I was more concerned with heat rejection and UV protection while minimizing loss of visibility. The best I have seen without going crazy with 5% is 20% all around or 20% on the back with 35% on the fronts. My last car had dark tint on it and I hated it (it was on the car when I bought it). I had to drive around like Ace Ventura at night if I wanted to see anything outside.

I would not worry about haze or any other such problems when choosing between metallized or ceramic. If you get a good brand and shop, neither will give you issues and the film will be warrantied for life. Some people complain about electronic signal issues with metallized films. I don't believe it though as long as you don't get the stuff that looks like a mirror. I have had metallized tints before and never had an issue. The only real benefit of ceramic is improved heat rejection for a given tint level and a slightly less reflective look with a deeper color tone closer to black. It comes down to your preference and budget.

Price varies greatly by brand and which tint you get. I got the 3M Crystalline quoted for my car for around $500 if I remember correctly. Huper Optic is typically even more. I just got my car done with Suntec CXP at East Coast Tint in Stuart and I am very pleased with it. I think it is $209 for a Mustang. I did two cars at the same time so I got a bit of a discount off regular price.
Unread 05-07-2013   #9 (permalink)
acadiaman is offline Apprentice

acadiaman's Country Flag
chandler   Arizona
acadiaman is on a distinguished road

I live in Chandler - where did you get it done?
Security Package
HID
Brembo Brake Package
6 sp MT
Unread 05-07-2013   #10 (permalink)
IA Shelby is offline Apprentice

IA Shelby's Country Flag
Ankeny   Iowa
IA Shelby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
45% really is not all that dark. That is what I have on my car and it definitely does not have that blacked out look to it, but that was not my priority. I was more concerned with heat rejection and UV protection while minimizing loss of visibility. The best I have seen without going crazy with 5% is 20% all around or 20% on the back with 35% on the fronts. My last car had dark tint on it and I hated it (it was on the car when I bought it). I had to drive around like Ace Ventura at night if I wanted to see anything outside.

I would not worry about haze or any other such problems when choosing between metallized or ceramic. If you get a good brand and shop, neither will give you issues and the film will be warrantied for life. Some people complain about electronic signal issues with metallized films. I don't believe it though as long as you don't get the stuff that looks like a mirror. I have had metallized tints before and never had an issue. The only real benefit of ceramic is improved heat rejection for a given tint level and a slightly less reflective look with a deeper color tone closer to black. It comes down to your preference and budget.

Price varies greatly by brand and which tint you get. I got the 3M Crystalline quoted for my car for around $500 if I remember correctly. Huper Optic is typically even more. I just got my car done with Suntec CXP at East Coast Tint in Stuart and I am very pleased with it. I think it is $209 for a Mustang. I did two cars at the same time so I got a bit of a discount off regular price.

Great information. After reading your post I would change my vote and choice from 3m crystalline.
Unread 05-07-2013   #11 (permalink)

winkawak's Country Flag
PSL   Florida

Quote:

Thanks, Stuart is only 30 minutes away from my house. I might check that place out, btw will 35% give me that black out look? Is it too dark at night?
Unread 05-07-2013   #12 (permalink)

5.0_SD's Country Flag

I got quoted $400 and change for Huper Optik at Ultimate Window Tint in Orlando...I live in Wildwood so it is a bit of a drive, but they were the closest Huper Optik installer/dealer...great reputation for quality jobs. I'm still undecided which I will go with.
Unread 05-07-2013   #13 (permalink)

Dawg5.0's Country Flag
Stuart   Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadiaman View Post
I live in Chandler - where did you get it done?
I got mine done at East Coast Tint in Stuart which is Southeast Florida. That would be quite the drive for you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA Shelby View Post
Great information. After reading your post I would change my vote and choice from 3m crystalline.
Thanks. 3M crystalline is a great product, but I have yet to see any reasonable evidence that it is worth the extra money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
Thanks, Stuart is only 30 minutes away from my house. I might check that place out, btw will 35% give me that black out look? Is it too dark at night?
Too dark is relative to everyone's opinion. I will try to post some pics this weekend from my car at night so that you can maybe see how mine is. 35% will look great unless you are in bright sunlight. In direct light you can still see in, but it is very dark. Most states, except for the really strict ones, choose this as the legal limit because it allows cops to still see you when they pull you over. The limit in Florida is 35%, but the factory windows are already slightly tinted so you will still be illegal. I have never met a person in Florida who got a ticket for tint though, except for someone who really pissed off the cop so he got him for everything he could think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_SD View Post
I got quoted $400 and change for Huper Optik at Ultimate Window Tint in Orlando...I live in Wildwood so it is a bit of a drive, but they were the closest Huper Optik installer/dealer...great reputation for quality jobs. I'm still undecided which I will go with.
That's a good price for Huper Optik. Check out the Suntek before you decide though as you may like it just as much and save half the cost.
Unread 05-08-2013   #14 (permalink)

Dawg5.0's Country Flag
Stuart   Florida

OK, so I tried my best to take some pics to show how the car looks with 45%. My camera and photography skills really stink so these are not the best shots. Keep in mind that all shots of the Mustang were taken indoors with all white walls surrounding it. The white walls mean that objects show up much better than dark objects would and there is a good bit more light than there would be in a typical night time situation. I tried to take some from outside at night, but I could not figure out how to set up the camera properly. The pictures just came out completely black.

I through in some pictures of my old G for demonstration purposes. As mentioned before, I could not see squat out of that car at night unless it was brightly lit. I included the one shot that shows the window from the outside to demonstrate that even though you can see out easily in the day, at night it is completely different.

In slide 1 I included a shot from in the car through the back window and a shot of the same view from outside of the car in an attempt to show a comparative difference. Slides 2 and 3 were thrown in just to show how lighting, camera settings, view angle and background can greatly vary the image so be careful when choosing tint based on pictures. The only good way to know for sure if you are going to like it is to sit in a car that is tinted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tint.pdf (205.0 KB, 101 views)
Unread 05-08-2013   #15 (permalink)

Dawg5.0's Country Flag
Stuart   Florida

I thought I would throw in some helpful links too.

Here is where I got my car done.
Welcome, Custom Designs, Tinting, Vehicles, East Coast Tinting And Design, Stuart, FL

Here is the website for Suntek Films
SunTek Automotive Window Film and Window Tint: Professionally Installed Automotive Window Film, CXP Window Tint, Carbon Window Tint, InfinityOP Window Tint, HP Window Tint, High Performance Window Film, Standard Window Film, New Leader in Automotive

The spec sheet for the CXP film is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suntek CXP.pdf (26.6 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171