Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2011-2014 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011-2014 Mustang Talk Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 09-05-2013   #1 (permalink)
Dr.H is offline Rookie

Dr.H's Country Flag
Humble   Texas
Dr.H is on a distinguished road
Default (New Member) Automatic Transmission Problems, 2013 GT premium 5.0 Convertible

Purchased 2013 GT (demo) Premium convertible 5.0 with AT about 1 month ago...car has about 5000 miles. The car has been in the shop for about 10 days. The problems are:
1. When taking off from a rolling stop in non-select shift mode, the transmission hesitates before finding 1st gear. Also, at lower RPM in non-select shift and going 30-40 mph, then attempting to moderately speed up to merge with traffic, the transmission hesitates in finding the next lower gear. I have to tromp on it for it not to hesitate.
2. While in Select shift mode and coming to a stop while manually down shifting sequentially to 1st gear, the car will lurch forward at about 3 mph just before I come to a complete stop.
3. Engine Tick when first starting the engine. This lasts for about 15-20 seconds
4. The right front suspension creeks horribly while slowly going over speed bumps.
5. Passenger Head Rest (right post) rattles when the car hits a bump.
Has anyone had any of the above problems, espec. the AT???

Last edited by Dr.H; 09-05-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: additional clarification
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2013   #2 (permalink)
Sean Reilly is offline SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Mustang II Member
2.3L Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sean Reilly's Country Flag
Stamford   Connecticut
Sean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORS

Robert, Let me place this in the 2011+GT Tech. section for you

Sea.
2013 Mustang GT Premium RED CANDY TRI-COAT (RZ) MT-82, Premium Trim, (Black-Cashmere),TRACK-PACK,, Electronics-Navigation, Comfort, Rev. Sensing / Rear Camera. Only Mods.>> 2014 DUAL-PATH GAUGE CLUSTER, FORD RACING (2014 GT TRACK-KEY Tune Loaded, Set To "N" 93 Octane),, JLT Oil Separator+BORLA Cat/Back-W/H-Pipe, With S-Type Axle Backs and BOSS Laguna Seca 26MM Rear Anti-Sway Bar.

AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-05-2013   #3 (permalink)

Mustang II Member
2.3L Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Stamford   Connecticut
Sean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORSSean Reilly AFM SITE ADMINISTRATORS

Robert, I would NOT worry about the Engine Tick, as Many Owners experience this with the Coyote engine.(you can read the "Sticky" Thread at the Top of the Page regarding this issue....And You can Contact Deysha our Absolutely Wonderful Ford Service Rep. that frequents this very Forum.
About your Front end "Creak" Well there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) regarding this, as there is a New Lower Control Arm (LCA) with a Heat-shield modification thats seems to work (There is a Sticky at the top of the Page) But at any rate, Im sure that "Deysha" will be Posting a Reply in this thread soon:yelpleased:

Sean
2013 Mustang GT Premium RED CANDY TRI-COAT (RZ) MT-82, Premium Trim, (Black-Cashmere),TRACK-PACK,, Electronics-Navigation, Comfort, Rev. Sensing / Rear Camera. Only Mods.>> 2014 DUAL-PATH GAUGE CLUSTER, FORD RACING (2014 GT TRACK-KEY Tune Loaded, Set To "N" 93 Octane),, JLT Oil Separator+BORLA Cat/Back-W/H-Pipe, With S-Type Axle Backs and BOSS Laguna Seca 26MM Rear Anti-Sway Bar.

AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Unread 09-05-2013   #4 (permalink)
rmrper99 is offline Rookie

rmrper99's Country Flag
DFW   Texas
rmrper99 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to suggest your issue #1 is pretty normal. My 11GT Auto does this too sometimes. I think it is really due to the tune. For what it's worth, my previous car (04 G35 Couple AT) would do this all the time. In fact, a couple times I managed to confuse it by adjusting throttle input at just the right time that it would get stuck between gears. I'd have to let off the gas for a split second for it to pick a gear. I notice this behavior in many cars, espeically with their conservative, fuel economy friendly shifting patterns.
Unread 09-05-2013   #5 (permalink)
Dr.H is offline Rookie

Dr.H's Country Flag
Humble   Texas

Thanks for the information on the creeky suspension. Relieves me a bit. I really pray there is a solution to the transmission hesitation and lurching issue. Yesterday I was about to trade the car, especially when I heard the ticking/lifter noise (really...lifter noise??). Robert
Unread 09-05-2013   #6 (permalink)

Mustang II Member
2.3L Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Stamford   Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.H View Post
Thanks for the information on the creeky suspension. Relieves me a bit. I really pray there is a solution to the transmission hesitation and lurching issue. Yesterday I was about to trade the car, especially when I heard the ticking/lifter noise (really...lifter noise??). Robert
No its not a "Lifter" as these 32 Valve DOHC engines do not have lifters.....But you have to realize, these Engines are VERY Complex, as they have 4 Cams (And these Cams are Constantly Adjusting, hence the name Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing or TiVCT) and with 32 Valves and 32 roller finger followers all in motion, well this makes for an Engine that is far from Quiet.....Again, some are a bit louder than others, this is something that you can read about in the Sticky thread, but, I myself would not worry too much about it, especially if it quiets down upon the engine reaching operating temp.

Robert, these are GREAT Cars and PHENOMENAL Engines! Don't let these issues make you Trade it in........See how things Transpire....But I must say that 10 Days is a bit long for the Dealer to have the car ......Like I said, our resident "Goddess" named Deysha should be chiming in soon .....

Sean.

AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Unread 09-05-2013   #7 (permalink)
Dr.H is offline Rookie

Dr.H's Country Flag
Humble   Texas

Thanks for the encouragement and Ill be a little more patient. Just all these issues and Ive only had the car a month. Robert.
Unread 09-05-2013   #8 (permalink)
5.0 Coyote is offline GT Member

5.0 Coyote's Country Flag
San Carlos Park   Florida
5.0 Coyote is on a distinguished road

DEYSHA ROCKS !!! Let her help you.stargate1.gif
Unread 09-06-2013   #9 (permalink)
discohouse is offline Apprentice

discohouse's Country Flag
SE   Tennessee
discohouse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
a good tune should fix the transmission issue. The stock tune is garbage as I've said many times.
Unread 09-06-2013   #10 (permalink)
Radioguy is online now GT Member

Radioguy's Country Flag  View Radioguy's 14 photos
Saint Louis   Missouri
Radioguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by discohouse View Post
a good tune should fix the transmission issue. The stock tune is garbage as I've said many times.
^^^^^^^^^+1

The stock Ford tune has a lot of "throttle delay" in the program. That is designed to......well, I don't know what it is designed to do..... But it really causes the automatic transmission to take a along time to shift, both up and down. I now run the FRPP tune and almost all of that issue disappears with that tune. The only slight delay I see now, is if I am approaching a light, and the transmission is downshifting, and the light changes and I press on the throttle while the transmission is downshifting. Otherwise, the transmission up-shifting and downshifting is very responsive!
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Unread 09-06-2013   #11 (permalink)
choate is offline GT Member

choate's Country Flag  View choate's 16 photos
St Charles   Missouri
choate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Purchased 2013 GT (demo) Premium convertible 5.0 with AT about 1 month ago...car has about 5000 miles. The car has been in the shop for about 10 days. The problems are:
1. When taking off from a rolling stop in non-select shift mode, the transmission hesitates before finding 1st gear.

Normal. Mine does this now and before tune. Just wait for it to hit the gear then go. It's literally a 1 millisecond delay. It's basically the <acronym title="transmission">tranny</acronym> rev matching to find the correct gear since you are not stopped.

Also, at lower RPM in non-select shift and going 30-40 mph, then attempting to moderately speed up to merge with traffic, the transmission hesitates in finding the next lower gear. I have to tromp on it for it not to hesitate.

Normal. The auto's are meant to stay in a higher gear for gas mileage. You can either use your select shift, or just give it more gas. Mine is the exact same way as yours w/ a tune.

2. While in Select shift mode and coming to a stop while manually down shifting sequentially to 1st gear, the car will lurch forward at about 3 mph just before I come to a complete stop.

May need dealer to look into this to solve. If you are shifting into first earlier than 3mph tho - same reason as your car "hunts" for first gear b/c 1st is very tall in these auto's. It may be "lurching" b/c the gear is very low geared in first.

3. Engine Tick when first starting the engine. This lasts for about 15-20 seconds.

Could be an issue but I doubt it. Would have to hear it to be sure. Probably just like everyone elses tick. IF it's real bad, I'd take it to have it checked out but almost everyone on here has a ticking 5.0.

4. The right front suspension creeks horribly while slowly going over speed bumps.

LCA needs replacing per TSB mentioned here. Lot's of them do this and Ford now has created a heat shield to keep the hydro bushing from making this awful noise.

5. Passenger Head Rest (right post) rattles when the car hits a bump.

Lower the head rest? If mine is way up it will rattle too but I keep it now about 1/2 way or all the way down. No rattle

Has anyone had any of the above problems, espec. the AT???
Good luck fifteen characters
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93R tune - Airade CAI
Unread 09-06-2013   #12 (permalink)
5.0_stang is offline Apprentice

5.0_stang's Country Flag
bmore   Maryland
5.0_stang is on a distinguished road

You guys are mentioning the FRPP tune. I am weary of suggesting that to anyone because of the documented pinging issues on many threads... seemingly only after the tune has been installed for a few weeks.
Unread 09-06-2013   #13 (permalink)

Mustang II Member
2.3L Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Stamford   Connecticut

I have 5 Guys with GT Stangs varying from '11-'14 in our little group 3 MT-82's, 2 with 6R80's Autos...And we are ALL Running the newer FRPP Tune (2-'13), and not a One of us has had ANY Hint of a Ping......We ALL run at Least 93 Octane (I Run VP MS-109) 105 Octane in the summer heat though, But we are constantly driving the Snot out of our Rigs.....Without any Pinging to date. But heck if any Engine were to Ping with 105 Race Fuel in it, well there is something dreadfully wrong with more than just the Tune......But Im NOT Going down this road again with regards to the FRPP Tune....There is nothing wrong the Newer Tune that FRRP Has out.....Its just not anywhere near as aggressive as any of the other Tunes out there....But then again it also carries a 3 Year/36,000 Mile (FULL Power-train) warranty with it....As long as a Ford Tech. installs it.....

Sean.

AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Unread 09-08-2013   #14 (permalink)
Dr.H is offline Rookie

Dr.H's Country Flag
Humble   Texas

It just doesn't seem right to have to purchase a tune to correct the hesitation of the transmission. This should be something Ford should do to correct this very common irritating issue. I was initially excited about my purchase, but now see this as a money making scheme by ford, and yes, I regret my purchase. (I would love to be able to get my money back) Ford needs to correct the stock tune. If the performance tune does not void the factory warrantee, this adds more merit to the allegation that Ford uses this to make money. I have had the car for 1 month now, and its been in the shop for 2 weeks with the above issues. Not happy.
Unread 09-08-2013   #15 (permalink)

Mustang II Member
2.3L Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Stamford   Connecticut

Tell them enough is enough!....You want your Coin back.....And you want it Now!!

Sean.

AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
automatic transmission

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172