Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005-2014 Mustangs > 2011-2014 Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011-2014 Mustang Talk Forum

2011-2014 Talk | 2011-2014 GT | 2011-2014 V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-21-2014   #1 (permalink)
Californicajun is offline MODERATOR

S197 Member

Californicajun's Country Flag  View Californicajun's 24 photos
Cape Coral   Florida
Californicajun is just really niceCalifornicajun is just really niceCalifornicajun is just really niceCalifornicajun is just really niceCalifornicajun is just really nice
Default 3.73 gear purchase for my 2013 GT A6

Just wanted to know what's the big deal with everyone being afraid of installing these gears. I called 2 shops and they are saying....it's gonna take like 6 hours to install them, those are a pain to put in with all of the adjustments and shims needed and fine tuning to get it right.

I have no idea how to do it and would never try to do it myself, but I'm just wondering. They say that the gear kit will fit all 1985-2014 models, yet it seems like they are not wanting to do it.
I have a new friend who is a good mechanic, so he seems and says that it shouldn't be a big deal at all, but.....well.....you understand the apprehension.
Any input would be appreciated from someone who has already done it personally or comments from their installer who DID actually install them, thanks in advance.

I don't have any performance shops near me, except for one and he is ALWAYS SOOO busy and never answers his phone and has cars parked all around that you have to wade through 12 people just to get to him etc. Sometimes I feel as if he's just too busy in his one man shop. Nice guy though.

Favorite Quote:

"If you think you can or if you think you can't......you're right!!" Henry Ford

AFM MODERATOR
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2014   #2 (permalink)
Lynwood is offline PONY Member

Lynwood's Country Flag
roanoke rapids   North Carolina
Lynwood is on a distinguished road

They are probably afraid of it whining after they do the install and having to do it over again at their expense. So some shops that dont do gear jobs often will shy away from the job because they really dont exactly know what they are doing. You might get a decent job or it might come out whiny loud and annoying. I wouldnt let them do it if they talk about how hard the job is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 02-21-2014   #3 (permalink)
csmhowitzer is offline PONY Member

csmhowitzer's Country Flag
South Eastern   Michigan
csmhowitzer is on a distinguished road

Now I'm still young and naive, but why not see if FRPP sells the gear and have a ford dealer install it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-21-2014   #4 (permalink)
2014MustangGT is offline Apprentice

2014MustangGT's Country Flag
Katy   Texas
2014MustangGT is on a distinguished road

They do, and they will.
MODS: American Racing LTH / FRPP Boss 302 Intake / AEM CAI / FRPP GT500 Axle Back / Dyno Tuned / FRPP Short throw shifter with bracket / FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack / BMR LCA with relocation brackets / BMR UCA with mount / Forgestar Piano Black CF5V 19x9, 19x10 / MT 305/35R19 ET Radial & MT 255/40R19 Street Comp Tires
Unread 02-21-2014   #5 (permalink)
mikev6stang is offline Apprentice

mikev6stang's Country Flag
San Marcos   Texas
mikev6stang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californicajun View Post
Just wanted to know what's the big deal with everyone being afraid of installing these gears. I called 2 shops and they are saying....it's gonna take like 6 hours to install them, those are a pain to put in with all of the adjustments and shims needed and fine tuning to get it right.

I have no idea how to do it and would never try to do it myself, but I'm just wondering. They say that the gear kit will fit all 1985-2014 models, yet it seems like they are not wanting to do it.
I have a new friend who is a good mechanic, so he seems and says that it shouldn't be a big deal at all, but.....well.....you understand the apprehension.
Any input would be appreciated from someone who has already done it personally or comments from their installer who DID actually install them, thanks in advance.

I don't have any performance shops near me, except for one and he is ALWAYS SOOO busy and never answers his phone and has cars parked all around that you have to wade through 12 people just to get to him etc. Sometimes I feel as if he's just too busy in his one man shop. Nice guy though.
i had mine done at a shop. Took them 9 hours to get the new gears in, yes they whined bad after. took them back again another 9 hours.. still whined but was a little better.. I got tired of that and went to a mustang performance shop. I told them the story and they said thats ridiculous, gear swaps are easy as cake and most of the time you can get away with the stock shims. So i had them fix mine thinking it would take 4-5 hours or so. I stood there and watched at how simple they made it seem. With answering their phones, working on my car and drinking coffee it took them three hours or so to redo my gears, put new axle bearings, and test drive it. They pretty must assured me it wouldn't whine and they were right.

moral of the story. take it to a mustang performance shop. Even though Ford has its name on the gears doesn't mean a Ford tech will do it right the first time, yes it may have a warranty but trust me, you don't wanna have to keep going back to get it fixed , reshimmed or whatever. i paid $350 including oil too.

this is BLACKPENGUIN69 by the way..
2008 vista blue base model v6: BBK CAI, BBK shorty headers, Pypes dual exhaust conversion, Bama 93 octane race tune, American Muscle Saleen style rims staggered 18x9/10 w/ 255/275 tires, Eibach sport line springs, strut brace, J&M adj panhard bar and LCAs,1 12 inch sub, Tokiko shocks and struts, strut tower brace
Unread 02-21-2014   #6 (permalink)
PMDmustang13 is offline PONY Member

PMDmustang13's Country Flag
Omaha   Nebraska
PMDmustang13 is on a distinguished road

Regardless to who you have install the gears for you.

Are you absolutely sure that .373 gears for an automatic is going to help you? I have read a lot of posts in this forum discussing .373 gears in an automatic being way to aggressive due to the gear ratios in the automatics.

Please make sure you do a search on this topic in the forum before you spend your money on something that possibly will slow you down in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times etc.

In fact there is a lot of information in this forum indicating there are stock and tuned automatics are keeping up with and actually outperforming the manual cars with .373 gears in the 1/4 mile.

And I truly believe that .373 is the most aggressive ratio with the manual MT82 transmissions to use before the time slips suffer. I sometimes wish I only had .355's.
2013 Mustang GT, Deep Impact Blue, Track Package, Recaros, GT500 Axle backs, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Short Throw Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers with catted H, DSS Al Shaft with BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Pro-forged extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, and Whiteline Transmisson Mount Bushing
Unread 02-21-2014   #7 (permalink)
slorydn1 is offline GLOBAL MODERATOR

5.0L Member
S197 Member

slorydn1's Country Flag  View slorydn1's 9 photos
New Bern   North Carolina
slorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud of

^What they said^

Cali, get it done right, even if it costs a few bucks more. Take it to the dealer or a shop that specializes in Mustangs. I know a number of people in my neck of the woods that have had gear swaps done on both GT's and V6's and almost everybody who went to a regular shop has complained about the whine afterwards!

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
Unread 02-21-2014   #8 (permalink)
slorydn1 is offline GLOBAL MODERATOR

5.0L Member
S197 Member

slorydn1's Country Flag  View slorydn1's 9 photos
New Bern   North Carolina
slorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud of
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
Regardless to who you have install the gears for you.

Are you absolutely sure that .373 gears for an automatic is going to help you? I have read a lot of posts in this forum discussing .373 gears in an automatic being way to aggressive due to the gear ratios in the automatics.

Please make sure you do a search on this topic in the forum before you spend your money on something that possibly will slow you down in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times etc.

In fact there is a lot of information in this forum indicating there are stock and tuned automatics are keeping up with and actually outperforming the manual cars with .373 gears in the 1/4 mile.

And I truly believe that .373 is the most aggressive ratio with the manual MT82 transmissions to use before the time slips suffer. I sometimes wish I only had .355's.
Radr Luv has 3.73's in his 2011 auto and it is the absolute schiznit, his car launches like the space shuttle outta Kennedy, and he is very happy with them.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
Unread 02-21-2014   #9 (permalink)
matthewr87 is offline GT Member

matthewr87's Country Flag
London   Ontario
matthewr87 is on a distinguished road

Plenty of factory installed 3.73 gears whine. For whatever reason they are just prone to it. Like was stated before, most shops probably don't want to keep having to do it over and over.
Present: 2012 Mustang GT - California Special Package - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket (red bushing) - Durashield paint protection - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Unread 02-21-2014   #10 (permalink)
randeez11 is offline BOSS Member

S197 Member

randeez11's Country Flag
Windsor   Ontario
randeez11 is on a distinguished road

As was said 3:73 gears with the low automatic ratios will give you lots of wheelspin in first gear especially. If you have stock tires, just be ready for that. 3:73 gears will give you better acceleration over all though. And shouldn't hurt around town gas mileage.They will only affect fuel consumption at highway speeds when you are remaining in one gear.
As for installation, any mechanic worth his salt can install them successfully. It all depends on competency, and patience. Gears installed correctly should never whine.
My 3:73 gears from the factory have a slight whine because Im sure that they just didn't spend the time to set them up right.
If gears are installed correctly with consideration given to keeping backlash within acceptable limits, they should be quiet. Backlash is simply the space between the mating gears. They cannot be fit too closely together, nor too far apart. There has to be a certain amount of "play" or clearance between the gear teeth. They would seize up and wear or break, otherwise.
6 hours of labor for install isn't out of the question. it all depends on how close the mechanic wants to get the tolerances and how fussy he is.
Installing everything clean, and burr free, with attention to detail is the key.
If / when you do decide to get gears installed, make sure you go to someone you know, or has a good reputation. And its worth it to replace everything, bearings, gears etc when doing it.
Ive done a few gear changes myself over the years and it isn't difficult, but as
Ive said, it does require a fussy approach. It isn't hit and miss. If done right, gears don't make any noise.Ever.

Im a machinist by the way, with 40 plus years of experience.

Just remember , you will have to get your ECU recalibrated to get the speedometer to work correctly.
2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Unread 02-21-2014   #11 (permalink)

S197 Member

Cape Coral   Florida
Californicajun is just really niceCalifornicajun is just really niceCalifornicajun is just really niceCalifornicajun is just really niceCalifornicajun is just really nice

To everyone,
This is the kind of feedback I was looking to get. I will keep at this guy at the performance shop cause I trust him and his work. He is a Mustang guru of all years it seems. J&J Performance in Cape Coral.

I had wheel spin at first with my stock Pirelli 19's and then had my best run, but bought a new set of MT ET's 275 60 15 and new Race Stars for the rear. Gripped ok, except for the wet track and 100% humidity.

I am tying to get my dd to the high 11's and then that's it. My 60ft times are too high at 1.95.

I already ordered the Ford Racing 3.73's and the install kit. I will pay whatever it takes to have them done correctly. I also tried racing on a 100 mile deserted stretch with a buddy from a 60mph rolling start in his 3.31 geared 2012 GT manual and he smoked me every time. At least he got ahead about 5 car lengths before I caught up with him and passed him, (must be the BOSS Intake kicking in).

Favorite Quote:

AFM MODERATOR
Unread 02-21-2014   #12 (permalink)

S197 Member

Cape Coral   Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Radr Luv has 3.73's in his 2011 auto and it is the absolute schiznit, his car launches like the space shuttle outta Kennedy, and he is very happy with them.

That's where I'm looking to get.

Favorite Quote:

AFM MODERATOR
Unread 02-21-2014   #13 (permalink)
airborne007nyc is offline Apprentice

airborne007nyc's Country Flag  View airborne007nyc's 6 photos
Rocky Mount   North Carolina
airborne007nyc is on a distinguished road

I had my 3.73's put in by my local Ford dealership for $620. They gave me a one year warranty on labor and a two year warranty on the parts. Also, it took them right at 8 hours to give me my car back because they had to do double the work. The first time the tech said he was unhappy with the loudness of the gear whine so he took it back apart and rebuilt it before being satisfied and calling me to let me know my car was ready. I at least appreciated them keeping my car until they did it right.
2013 Mustang GT - Performance - Brembo brakes, FRPP shocks and struts, FRPP-P springs, Steeda LCA's, White Line LCA relocation brackets, FRPP GT500 axle backs, Fastlane Motorsports Custom 93 Tune, JLT CAI, 3.73 gears, BBK ceramic LT's w/ catted x-pipe.
Appearance - GT500 spoiler, Ford Racing SVT wheels, Roush upper / lower grille, Roush fogs, Roush front / side / rear splitters.
(416 rwhp / 388 tq)
Unread 02-22-2014   #14 (permalink)
5.0ben is offline GT Member

5.0ben's Country Flag
Towson
5.0ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californicajun View Post

I also tried racing on a 100 mile deserted stretch with a buddy from a 60mph rolling start in his 3.31 geared 2012 GT manual and he smoked me every time. At least he got ahead about 5 car lengths before I caught up with him and passed him.
No way you are losing by 5 cars against your buddies 3.31 manual because of gearing. I've beat my brother's 13' stang by about 5-6 cars from a roll with my tuned, catless 3.73 manual and his is a tuned full exhaust V6 automatic lol!

I doubt 3.73's are going to help you much. What mods do you and he have?
For a better 60 ft I'd be looking into a converter.

BTW I've had gears done at a Ford dealer and reputable shop. Both made noise. Getting gears done may be opening a can of worms and not worth it.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Unread 02-23-2014   #15 (permalink)

S197 Member

Cape Coral   Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
No way you are losing by 5 cars against your buddies 3.31 manual because of gearing. I've beat my brother's 13' stang by about 5-6 cars from a roll with my tuned, catless 3.73 manual and his is a tuned full exhaust V6 automatic lol!

I doubt 3.73's are going to help you much. What mods do you and he have?
For a better 60 ft I'd be looking into a converter.

BTW I've had gears done at a Ford dealer and reputable shop. Both made noise. Getting gears done may be opening a can of worms and not worth it.
He has 2012 6m, 3.31, UPR suspension and tune, cai, lowered. I think that's it.
I have 2013 6A, 3.15, BOSS IM, CAI, UPR suspension, bama 93R.
We were at 60mph, honked 3 times and I floored it and he took off like a bat outta hell and gradually I caught up. I am wanting the 3.73 for better 60ft times and have already ordered them.
I have to save up for the circle D 3c converter. Maybe March 15th paycheck I'll get it.
If I ever get into the well known tuner here in my area, then I'll have it dyno tuned, but he specializes in Diablo tunes and I have an SCT tuner.
Kinda stuck, but trying to add what I can.

Favorite Quote:

AFM MODERATOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164