Ford Mustang Forum banner

In your opinion which of the below would you recommend I get?

• 2013-2014 Mustang GT Prem with track/performance pack

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • 2013 Boss 302

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • 2007-2009 GT500

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • 2015 Mustang GT Prem with track/performance pack

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other? Comment what below! Also comment any and all opinions below!

Votes: 2 2.5%

What to get? 2013+ GT or 2013 Boss 302 or 07-09 GT500 or 2015 Mustang GT

15K views 79 replies 32 participants last post by  Quan Cheese 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I am not really sure where to post this as 2 of the cars are 2011-2014 and two of them are not so either way it had to go somewhere and this area had 2 of the 4 where the other places would have only had 1 of the 4...

Anyway question is asking for opinions on which car I should be looking at/considering and why in your opinion as I am really torn on what direction to go at this point.

Basics:
I would like a car for 36K or preferably below.
I am pretty sure all but maybe the 07-09 GT500 will be relatively similar in reliability and maintenance cost.
What is the best route to go to have the most performance options for the best value/bang for buck add ons?
Really anything you want to comment on I would love to read and take into consideration.

1. 2013 GT Premium with Track/Performance Pack
2. 2013 Boss 302 (Only 2013 as I would like updated console, but would also consider 2012 for the right price.)
3. 2007-2009 GT500. (Would like newer, but really trying to stay below 35K)
4. 2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track/Performance pack.

See less See more
#3 ·
That sounds pretty much the same as a deal I am sitting on currently for a 2015. You must have got one with track/performance pack or if not then 401A and a couple other things.

Either way yeah the 2015's have been a big contender and I almost pulled the trigger a few times in the past week, but I just haven't been able to. I guess what is holding me back is because I have seen a couple used 2015's pop up already for around 30-33K depending on options so I can't justify the instant loss. I am still considering on to be honest, but am hoping to hear a bunch of opinions to help me in the decision.

The 0% interest is really a big + as that can save well over 2K over the 72 months. What all does it take to qualify? I know sometimes it can be next to impossible. Although I have been told by a couple Ford dealers that it isn't that hard to qualify.

#4 ·
If I am you and sitting in that position:

2013 Boss low miles or a 2015.

#5 ·
A Shelby person recommending a Boss? Interesting.

On a side about the Boss for anybody that knows. Do all bosses come with the red track key stock? Also if a Boss that I start looking at has the track key how do you know if the track key has ever been acitved and driven with? I have heard, but I don't know for a fact that if the track key is driven with it drops the 5yr/60K warranty down to a 3yr/35K warranty. If that is the case is there a way to find out to know what warranty applies to the car?

While I plan to mod the car and use the track key I like to have some sort of warranty for at least the first 3 months and say 5,000 miles just to make sure things are good as I can find almost any problem in that small amount of time.

#7 ·
Different uses for different cars. They are all Mustangs but different.
Boss 302s are a bit rare and hence collectible IMO. Plus, you do not have to much to it, it performs well and is N/A.

You gave us choices, so I tried to be objective.

If you wish to do a 2015, why not consider the GT350 model.

So many choices, so many paths.

#8 ·
Indeed all is true there are so many different types of Mustangs. I started out with my first on as a V6 for my first car and I have always owned GT's recently. Never owned a specialty Mustang and that is why I am serially including them in the mix at this point. If I go the specialty route a big + is the value shouldn't drop as fast as a GT.

As for the 2015 GT350 with the GT350 starting at 47K and the GT350R starting at 61K it is just more than I want tied up on a car right now. I would like to spend 36K at the most. Which is just barely includes the 2015 GT Premium with track/performance pack.

#10 ·
I understand the money angle for sure. Get what you can afford.
Cars, pretty much, are not a good "investment" if we drive them.
Yes, we can make choices and limit how much value we lose over time, but in general, we do "lose".

I still think if I am you, a low miles Boss 302 would be good. You would save money leaving it stock, have something of a warranty while at the same time have good performance. Plus the depreciation may be less because of it's relative rarity.

But hey, I'm just a rocket surgeon, what do I know.

To break this down again:

2013 low miles Boss 302:

a little more for the purchase price of a typical used Mustang
may depreciate a little less than other factory Mustangs because of the build numbers
very good overall performance all stock with track key
may have a year or two under warranty

That is how I read the tea leaves here.
The only problem with this scenario is finding the right Boss 302. It may not be easy and may require waiting for the right one, which is a tall order because the other choices can all happen right away.

Reactions: MustangLife
#11 ·
Hard to be objective about such a subjective topic . . . but if it was my money . . . I voted "other"

I'd look for a 2012 with the brembos and track pack, and have a whole bunch of cash left over for mods. If you want a track car, you could build a better one for a lot less than it would cost you for a Boss.

I didn't vote for 2013/14 simply because I don't care for the new hood and front end, there's that subjective thing. If you like it then those would be my next choice.

If I had the full $36K as "play money" and therefore did not care about the depreciation or being able to be more value for less money, I'd go for the 2015 because I could configure it exactly the way I want it.

Reactions: kdaly1
#12 ·
I'm really excited for you man, but please don't get a 2015 over a 2013 Boss 302....I don't want to live in a world where someone chooses a 2015 over what might be THE most awesome Mustang since 1973.

It's not that I have anything against the 2015's, but they're going to be updated soon and then likely become the style that gets looked down upon by the later years of the S550 generation.

In my opinion, Mustang generations get perfected through the years and the latest cars of each generation are always the nicest, i.e. 03-04, 13-14(controversial), 1969, etc.

The Boss along with the rest of the S197 nostalgic mustangs are a modern take on the first generation mustang and for that reason will be a timeless style

#13 ·
You can get a 2015 "base" GT with Performance pack for about $36K MSRP. I say "base" because it comes pretty well equipped in base trim. Considering the updated Coyote and IRS, getting a 2015 would be the best choice.

#17 ·
Yeah I was wondering what the letters meant and after a quick google search I assumed it was a mistype/post. haha

Yeah it looks like right now the boss is slightly ahead with all the others tied for second. This isn't helping my decision to much. haha

#19 · (Edited)
That is a fantastic question actually. It will be a second car to me for sure and is replacing my current second car that is for sale.

I am actually thinking about keeping my current DD which is my 2006 GT as my DD and not selling it.

The Boss will be more a great weather weekend car that sees track days (By track days I mean a little of everything form drag strip to autocross to VIR type track days.) All types of car friends that like different things and we all do different types of car events together with many different cars.

Looking forward to your answer and response Strange Mud. I am sure you will/can provide a great opinion and insight to help on my decision.

What type of Mustang best suites my needs/description in your opinion?

#20 ·
Depends what you want to do with it:

Big power straight line- Boss 302/GT500
Drag race at a track- automatic S197 coyote GT
Go to car shows- Boss 302/GT500
Daily drive- S550
Autocross, stock class- S550
Expensive track car- S550
Cheap(er) track car- S197 coyote GT

Reactions: kdaly1
#22 ·
2014 GT/CS Premium. Has better looks and has a ton of stock power. Not sure what would happen if it was modified! California Specials are hard to come by with low miles but they are out there and I love mine!

#24 ·
If you are not going to molest it the Boss is nice, as a collector car that financially if you keep it nice w/o adding too many miles should do great. If you are going to seriously race it I would buy an older GT and turn that into a real race car. I do question why folks pay as much as they do for Bosses but even I want one. It seems the price is not justified by the performance increase and rarity isn't always good (example: my base model v6 :) )

I like the new ones and would consider that as a DD and turn your current into a race car.
Not a fan of superchargers unless you want a drag car.

outside the box and your screen name did register. Why two Mustangs and not something different?

ps Csamsh does have good points/breakdown which I agree with.

#25 ·
"outside the box and your screen name did register. Why two Mustangs and not something different?" What does the bolded mean? haha

As far as why two Mustangs. Yeah that is a valid point, but I know this may sound crazy, but I am honestly just not as happy driving anything, but a Mustang. I have tried many times and always come right back to a Mustang. I have also tried the have two cars one Mustang and one miscellaneous car to try to balance it which I am doing currently and I just don't enjoy my second car as much even though it is a sporty car as well. haha Never tried the have two different Mustangs and two different level of Mustangs before. We will see. haha

Yeah the Boss if I get one would be a garage/weekend/pleasure car that I would hope to keep in perfect condition for collector resale.

OR

The Boss would be built and be a heck of a track car like some owners have chosen to do.

Which one of those I will be I have no idea. Only me deciding on getting one and then only time will tell.

Yeah the price is the hard part to Justify.

#30 ·
I don't want to start a flame war but I just want honest opinions. Why do people have such a fascination of the boss 302, I think it's a bad deal for the price difference between a Mustang GT and a Boss because a Boss is just a GT with some engine work, its an easy way for the company to profit from the people by making something that doesn't cost them much and making it low production to get more money out of nostalgic customers. I would rather get a GT and do some bolt ons. Another thing I hate about the Boss 302 is that it revs too damn high, an American Muscle car should not sound raspy like a German M3

#36 ·
I agree with the not understanding the fascination/price about the Boss but even I really (even more than a GT500) want one (yet another addiction I wish I could quit) but to complain it revs too high?!?!?!?!?

if only there was a way to prevent it from going so fast, maybe Ford could come up with a system that varied engine rpm. It would be nice if it was controlled by your feet as you need your hands for the radio/steering/windows/phone.

we're on the downhill slide of this thread.

#38 ·
For the money - give me my 2014 GT Premium. But I am not into racing except on backroads by myself with no police around >:) Sure having a collector car has it's fascination - but I want a car I can drive and not worry about putting too many miles on it. Like I said though I am not into racing on tracks etc.

Reactions: Cem Sengul
#40 ·
I couldn't agree more. I went over to BMW for a couple years and it just didn't have that "soul" I felt when I drove a mustang. I had a 335i with a Chip putting down around 400WHP and all i could think about is when are the turbos going to take a crap on me and it only had 50k miles when I sold it. Too many horror stories about those cars breaking down early. I had to make a change.

Anyways to answer your question: I went from the 335i to the 2015 GT Premium non-PP after doing a TON of thinking and research. The main reason I went 2015 is because of the outstanding refinement that went into the car. The interior is what you see and feel most of the time and I absolutely loved the interior design in the '15. Not that the others are terrible, but the old doesn't compare to the new. That combined with all the extra features and additions make the 2015 the clear winner IMO. I picked mine up for $34,950 with 3.55's, nav, and 20's. (obviously I'm bias) :)
Thanks for bringing this thread back on track. I read it about an hour ago and was like this took a wrong turn somewhere...

#42 ·
I really don't understand where all the hate has suddenly come from for the Boss on this thread. It is out of nowhere. The Boss really isn't a "ripoff" it has a good amount of added features. Upgraded adjustable suspension, forged internals, boss intake system, short throw shifter, and a upgraded stronger rear end just to name a few things. All of which would cost you more to add these to a same model GT.

I don't own a Boss, but I will say it is in consideration for the above stated reasons.

Also currently 37+% of people agree the Boss is a good consideration.

Just my opinion and to each their own...

Reactions: crjackson
#47 ·
Sounds like a Boss is in your near future.

#48 ·
Every car polled is excellent, and all have their positives and negatives when it comes to subjective opinion. At the end of the day it all comes down to how you feel when you write that monthly check. Even though everyone has their favorites for one reason or another, I know I would be happy to have any of them in my garage, and I believe most everyone here would agree. When you find the one you want and the deal is right, don't hesitate. And please post pics so we can all see your new baby!:bigthumbsup

#49 ·
another thing I don't like about the Boss is that it is a track oriented car that does not come with an IRS, the Camaro 1le smokes it, you can read about it on the internet

#50 ·
I am now assuming you are just looking to start a argument... You realize your Mustang doesn't have IRS either right? So if that Camaro 1le can smoke the Boss 302 it has your V6 beat by a long shot.... Just saying...

Anyway find another thread to argue on... Thanks and have a great evening.

#52 ·
You're best value in a NEW Mustang might be a 2014 left over on the lot ......there are still a few around.

The 2015, if styling isn't an issue for you.......is an easy pick if you want the car with IRS.

The 2012 or 2013 BOSS is an easy pick if you want a car that stands out as something special in a big herd of other-wise pretty commonly seen cars.

The only cars you've listed I wouldn't bother with are those older GT500s. Today they are too weak in comparison to the newer benchmark set in the 2013 and 2014 models....... it'd be the super charged equivalent of buying a 3 valve GT instead of paying that little bit more for a 2011 or newer Coyote powered car.

For me? If in your shoes...... it'd be the BOSS for sure and without any reservations........but then I can be counted among those who really don't like the styling of the 2015 at all......and that's a tough pill to swallow because I do think the IRS is well worth the price of the ride vs. older cars..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.