Ford Mustang Forum banner

Steering Wheel Surface Damage

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  black_07stang 
#1 ·
I am trying to figure out how my steering wheel surface became damaged. It may have happened along time before I started noticing it. The damage is about from 8 oclock to noon.

I don't wear rings on any of my hands. I am wondering if this could have been damaged from somebody working on my vehicle with a ring or rings on their left hand? Most of the time I am with service technicians when working on my vehicle with the exception of a few times such as. When I had headers installed, when I had the alignment done and axle tubes welded, and when I had it towed to the dealer when the mass air flow sensor fell out of my airaid cold air intake tube.

I have a couple scrapes on the plastic grey piece also which makes me lean toward damage is from some type of scrape or scraping.

Could it be damage from the sun?

Anyone else have this type of damage?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It looks like it was rubbed/scraped by something. Mechanic`s ring/watch band?

#4 ·
Pocket knives or items in right pocket tend to hit the steering wheel when you are climbing out of the vehicle thats what this looks like.

#5 ·
after witnessing that on the wife's Jeep, I did 3M Crystaline on the Mustang and always use a windshield sun shade when I park.

RWSRWS

#6 ·
Honestly, it really doesn't matter what caused the damage. The good thing is that OEM replacement steering wheels are relative cheap and easy to install. And for a bit more, you could get an Alcantra covered BOSS steering wheel.

Nice cup of 7/11 coffee, by the way.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think 80KM2E may have led me to the answer. I have been putting a pocket knife in my pocket the last 4 months or so. I just tried getting in my car without the knife and I believe it could be the clip on my knife causing this because my pants contacted the steering wheel where my knife is typically clipped. I will need to be more careful.

Not sure how easy it is to change a steering wheel. Especially with the airbag in there. I would be very scare of an airbag deployment.

#8 ·
There are a few videos on the net that clearly walk you through steering wheel replacement. I found them months ago while I was investigating changing my steering wheel. It really is very easy.

The most important thing to do, is to disconnect the battery for quite some time before starting the job.

#9 ·
PMDmustang13:

I have a like new/mint condition steering wheel from my 2014 Mustang GT Premium California Special that I'm going to be listing next week. The steering wheels are very easy to install, and usually takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to complete the job. If you're interested, PM me.

JediDave

#10 ·
Probably a retarded question but will the 14 Mustang steering wheel fit on my 07 Mustang? I know there totally different but I figured I'd ask thanks

#11 ·
black 07stang:

Hello! Yes, it will fit, but you may have to do some wiring to get the radio/cruise buttons to function properly.

JediDave

#12 ·
Thanks for your reply. so you can wire in the steering wheel buttons on a stock 07 radio? if so does any one have a wiring diagram. im so glad it will fit as my steering wheel is covered in scratches from my pocket knife! and I think steering wheel covers are tacky on our cars in my opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.