Ford Mustang Forum banner

Air release noise from engine? stock 2011 v6

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Renownedd 
#1 ·
If anyone else has a 2011 v6 auto that can test to see if it happens on theirs to that would help. It only happens when you turn the engine off. See video

#2 ·
This sounds like the EVAP purge valve releasing vacuum when the engine shuts down.
Its job is to draw in fumes from the gas tank to be combusted in the engine to reduce ozone damaging emissions. The valve opens when the engine shuts down because there is no longer a vacuum source to keep the valve closed.

In short there's nothing wrong with the car.

#3 ·
I sure hope you are right! I have determined it is being released back down the intake tube. If you take it apart you can feel the air being pushed out of the intake tube. I took it apart at the clamp right after the MAF and there is for sure air being forced back down the intake.

I posted it on this other forum Air release noise from engine? stock 2011 v6 - Forums at Modded Mustangs and someone with the same year and model said his does not do this... we both have 2011 v6 automatics

#4 ·
That would be me :). I'm on 9 Mustang Forums :). Just checked on the sound and 'mine does it too'. Never have noticed it before because it happen so soon after the motor is turned off. I have to say "its normal" :).

Reactions: Renownedd
#5 ·
at first, you said it does NOT now you say it DOES.. lol which one is it? You can not hear it if you turn the car off while you are in the car with the doors closed and windows up. You have to be outside of the car to hear it even better with the hood open. If you could know for sure it would help possibly save me a diagnostic fee lol thanks for all the input tho!:grin:

#7 ·
I started my Mustang at daybreak with the hood up "just for you", to listen for the sound. My "neighbors" were not happy :). I "always" have my Shaker 500 at no less than 50% volume. The sound happens the second the key is turned off. The radio doesn't turn off until the door is opened. This is why I haven't noticed the sound :)

The sound is normal :)

Reactions: Renownedd
#8 ·
I haven't noticed that sound from mine, but much like David Young, my stereo is always on (and loud) until I open the door. That being said, my previous car DID make that sound (2011 Mazda 6). It wasn't immediate: after about 3 to 5 seconds, a very subtle "woosh" sound could be heard from beneath the hood. The guys on the Mazda forum said it was normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.