Ford Mustang Forum banner

The age old question... H or X pipe

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bigshow14 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get my exhaust done in the near future and I'd like to hear y'all's imput. I'm planning on taking it to a shop to have either an x-pipe or an h-pipe fabricated (keeping the cats and resonators), then run them through some Flowmaster Super 44s. The ultimate goal is sound quality... I'm not super worried about performance gains, as nice as they are. Also, I want it to be loud enough people can tell it's not stock, but not so loud that I cant carry a conversation inside, and that's where my uncertainty is... I'm afraid the x-pipe will be too loud (and might sound like a Honda) or the h-pipe will be too quiet. Thoughts? Thanks ahead of time guys!

#2 ·
I love the way my 3.7 V6 exhaust sounds. Not obnoxiously loud but definitely sounds modified, especially at full throttle. Drone and Rasp is at a minimum. I don't run headers and have the stock cats.

Exhaust mods so far:

Resonators Deleted $50
Ford Racing X Pipe $179
Trident Axle Back $329 (with Saleen PJ Edition Tips $55)

The X Pipe did not make my car loud. Did not add rasp or drone. However it did clean up the exhaust tone and gave it a little bit more "pull" as the revs increased. I like it much better as compared to the stock hybrid h-pipe. I've always preferred x-pipes to h-pipes and glad I installed one on my 2012.

What would I change, if I was to do it all over again? Besides buying a 5.0? Well removing the resonators did not add much "loudness". However, doing so probably increased some of the "unwanted" sounds like drone and rasp. Should have just kept them on and spent the money elsewhere.

Later...Dave

#4 ·
X-pipe is for power. H-pipe is for smoother sound.

To be truthful, I can't tell any difference in the sound between H-pipes and X-pipes on youtube videos :( . Even with headphones on :(

#6 ·
Leaving the cats and resonators on as stated above I'd say 7-8 only because your looking at the 44's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.