How to: Factory muffler baffle bypass. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

How to: Factory muffler baffle bypass.

To get a deeper tone out of your factory mufflers without resorting to aftermarket cans try this! You'll need (2) 3/4in. copper street elbows and about 6inch long piece of 7/8 OD copper repair coupling. A 3/4 in hole saw comes in handy or drill and enlarge with a tree burr on a die grinder. On back side of muffler drill into the last chamber on center. Size hole to the female diameter of elbow. You will do the same hole on the side of the inlet pipe of muffler. The elbows are slipped into the correct length of repair pipe and their openings are soldered facing 180 degrees opposite after a test fitting. The inlet pipe elbow faces upstream to capture about 15% of the flow and exits directly down the outlet. You can seal the copper to the muffler with silicone cauking or 5 minute expoxy shown here. You can increase flow by using larger diameter fittings and pipe for a deeper tonal difference with this method.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011
Banned

Absolutely ***ing brilliant. I love this kind of weird, swim-upstream stuff.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

This was good for a chuckle at least.

:nogrinner:nogrinner:nogrinner

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011
PONY Member

do you have a sound-clip / video? before and after would be awesome.

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011
PONY Member

yeah a sound clip would be great!

2011 3.7 Mustang (Airiad CAI | Borla headers | Borla x-pipe | X-Force Varex Exhuast |3.73 gears |DSS driveshaft| 93R Tune )( GT Bumper-Black Retro grille | GT500 Spoiler | CDC deck lid panel | SR Lowering springs) SOLD

Camaro SS 2001 (D1SC dual intercooled|H/C/I| & other mods|)
530rwhp at 8psi SOLD

2013 5.0 Mustang Manual (stock)
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011
PONY Member

Thats awsome man! I'm all for tinkering!! Post an vid on utube and drop us a link. And i think most of us here know what stock sounds like so dont bother takeing that apart if its all done already
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Im sorry, but when I look at the pictures with the copper pipe coming out of the muffler, makes me think of the old TV series Sanford and son. Better yet the Beverly Hillbillies. Or how about a backwoods still operation making moonshine upstream from where the Deliverence movie was filmed. :kooky:

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Im sorry, but when I look at the pictures with the copper pipe coming out of the muffler, makes me think of the old TV series Sanford and son. Better yet the Beverly Hillbillies. Or how about a backwoods still operation making moonshine upstream from where the Deliverence movie was filmed. :kooky:
I'm thinkin more along the lines of Red Green. All it needs is some duct tape.

"I'm pullin for ya. We're all in this together."
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare37 View Post
do you have a sound-clip / video? before and after would be awesome.
Sounds like a plan....here it is! YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang Exhaust mod..wmv‬‏ Now you can compare with aftermarket cans on Youtube. Remember this is a 3/4in. tube mod. A 1in. tube will divert about 27% flow.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
....Ah....thats OK. I didn't realize they had TV in those days in Canada
Apprentice

im all about people getting macgyver on their cars.

what made you think of this?

are u well experienced in fluid dynamics/acoustics or just thought it'd be cool to try?

2011 Mustang V6 Premium 6MT. Kona Blue w/ White Lemans Stripes. JLT CAI, BBK long tubes, O/R X-pipe, Cat-Back Borla ATAK, MPT 93 Performance Tune, SR Performance springs, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, J&M LCA, UPR Adj UCA, One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Yep still got tv too. Colour now ! :kooky:Are those factory tips ? I thought the factory ones were only rolled on the GT.

PS Exhaust doesnt sount too bad

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittermiller View Post
im all about people getting macgyver on their cars.

what made you think of this?

are u well experienced in fluid dynamics/acoustics or just thought it'd be cool to try?
This is rather more unknown than unusual. Directing raw exhaust around the mufflers. ( look up "exhaust cutouts".) I heard of it on Corvette Forums for the '97 -'04 C5 Vettes with their transverse mufflers and did it to my '98 Vette at the time. It done the job and I didn't buy $900 of aftermarket cans for that car. Since the tone is controled basicly by the size of the pipe used, one can start with larger pipe and install a ball valve ($$) in the pipe to control the amount of diversion. ........This mod is totally reversable and you do not ruin the muffler as there is no internal hacking. However if you are considering the purchase of any aftermarket cans and factory muffs have nil value........don't you deserve trying $15 in materials and about 3 hrs total time to get simular results?
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Yep still got tv too. Colour now ! :kooky:Are those factory tips ? I thought the factory ones were only rolled on the GT.

PS Exhaust doesnt sount too bad
Thanks randeez11, These are 5.0 mufflers on my V6.:hihi: Larger capacity and first mod to my car.
Apprentice

i might be totally stupid about this but i dont understand how having that second tube going into the mufler makes the exhaust louder. does it act like a resenance chamber?

2011 V6 Black/Black MCA edition with performance package and tints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page