2012 Mustang automatic transmission problem when cold - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2012 Mustang automatic transmission problem when cold

I have a 2012 mustang V6 auto with under 1000 miles. I've noticed that when my car is cold the transmission seems to R up a bit almost as if it's a stall converter. Also it seems to take a bit longer to shift while cold. I've only noticed this from take off and as soon as it's warmed up it no longer happens. Is this normal or should I consider taking the car back in? I was just about to purchase a tune and this has me concerned enough to put that on hold. Thank you to anyone who can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

"R up a bit", exactly what does that mean?

You mean that when it is cold and you first put it in drive that it seems to take more rpm's to get moving?

Possibly low on fluid, noticed any leaks? There have been a few who have had one leaking.

I would take it back to the dealer and get it checked out no matter what so that there is documentation of possible problem so that if the transmission goes out later on you will have already made them aware of the issue.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
"R up a bit", exactly what does that mean?

You mean that when it is cold and you first put it in drive that it seems to take more rpm's to get moving?

Possibly low on fluid, noticed any leaks? There have been a few who have had one leaking.

I would take it back to the dealer and get it checked out no matter what so that there is documentation of possible problem so that if the transmission goes out later on you will have already made them aware of the issue.
Yes, that's basically what I mean. Though the car is accelerating while this is going on which is why it reminded me of a stall converter. Almost as if it needed to hit 2000 rpm's before torque converter would lock. Granted I could be wrong in my description but that's the best I can do. And if I accelerate harder the shift seems more delayed than usual at higher rpm's.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011
Made Member

I think I know what you are talking about. When I start up in the morning If I try to just go right away the car will tend to hesitate as I accelerate. However imediately following that initial take off its fine. I have not had any issues with my car except for that one. I have talked to a few mechanics and it seems that although the thought process is that cars do not need to be "warmed up" anymore you still should not try a hard acceleration until you drive for a few minutes if it is your first crank up in the morning or whatever.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonicmustang View Post
I think I know what you are talking about. When I start up in the morning If I try to just go right away the car will tend to hesitate as I accelerate. However imediately following that initial take off its fine. I have not had any issues with my car except for that one. I have talked to a few mechanics and it seems that although the thought process is that cars do not need to be "warmed up" anymore you still should not try a hard acceleration until you drive for a few minutes if it is your first crank up in the morning or whatever.
Yes, that's probably the best explanation I've heard. It definitely hesitates and feels as if it's revving a little differen't when cold when you're first taking off. I notice this not as much in the morning as I must drive slower but when I leave work I'm trying to get out of there, lol. And that's when I feel it right through the gas pedal and I start watching the tach. It definitely does seem to have that hesitation you mention though. Thanks for helping to clarify that!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011
Made Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Ideally, with any automatice transmission you should not start the vehicle up in the morning and just put it in gear. Sometimes it takes time for the hydraulic circuits to fill and purge all the air out of the system.

I would suggest that you give the car 5 or 10 seconds or so before putting the car into gear. This is also good for your engine as most engine wear occurs at cold start up when there is the lowest amount of lubrication. If you give the car a few seconds before putting into gear, you let the oil fully circulate and allow there to be a better protective film before the engine gets loaded (put into gear).

Just saying..

2012 Ingot Silver Mustang - 3.7L V6, Performance Package (traded)
2012 HP White Mustang GT - 5.0L, Premium, 3.73 rear end
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011
OFFICIAL FORD REP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbelt67 View Post
I have a 2012 mustang V6 auto with under 1000 miles. I've noticed that when my car is cold the transmission seems to R up a bit almost as if it's a stall converter.
Hey jackbelt67,

I feel you should still bring it in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis to be on the safe side. Please make an appointment with them and private message me with your VIN, dealer, and contact info so I can forward this info to the Customer Service Manager in your area for further assistance.

Deysha

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member

Hi Deysha, I also have the same issue. It seems even in warm mornings as this past summer, when the car is started up and i immediately put it into gear ie reverse or drive the car simply doesn't react and waits anywhere from 10-20 seconds until finally kicking into gear with a noticeable bump. What do you recommend?

2011 3.7 premium, Kona Blue. Mustang Club of america package. Borla Atak Just ordered for my Bday from American Muscle! Coming in 3 days! (but not soon enough!)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankefan987 View Post
Hi Deysha, I also have the same issue. It seems even in warm mornings as this past summer, when the car is started up and i immediately put it into gear ie reverse or drive the car simply doesn't react and waits anywhere from 10-20 seconds until finally kicking into gear with a noticeable bump. What do you recommend?
My transmission isn't doing that at ll. There's no issues when putting it into gear. It's more of a slight hesitation when first accelerating especially under harder acceleration. Not talking about wot. Last night I experienced this and the car was fairly warmed up. At least been running for about 3 or 4 minutes before I left the neighborhood and had to merge on to the freeway. I was going very slow and pushed the accelerator about half throttle and the nose actually dropped down as if the car was going to cut off and then came shooting back all at once. Very jerky..

Thank you for the support Deysha. As soon as I can I'll call the dealership and send you the requested information.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just had another thought about the transmission. Sometimes when I'm just pulling off and moving slow getting ready to veer into traffic and then push the accelerator down 2/3 or 3/4 of the way could I be in that in between where the transmission downshifts a gear too far and hesitates just before the downshift and then kinda jerks you around when the shift is complete and the R's jump way up? This is the first automatic I've driven in over 15 years so I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal which wouldn't surprise me.
OFFICIAL FORD REP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankefan987 View Post
Hi Deysha, I also have the same issue. What do you recommend?
Hi yankefan987,

I recommend you contact your Ford dealer as soon as possible and make an appointment for diagnosis as well. Id also like to escalate this to the Customer Service Manager in your area for you. Please, PM me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can do so.

Quote:
Thank you for the support Deysha. As soon as I can I'll call the dealership and send you the requested information.
Thank you for the PM, jackbelt67! I will get back to you in a little while with more info.:smilie

Deysha

FORD SERVICE

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Hi yankefan987,

I recommend you contact your Ford dealer as soon as possible and make an appointment for diagnosis as well. Id also like to escalate this to the Customer Service Manager in your area for you. Please, PM me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can do so.

Thank you for the PM, jackbelt67! I will get back to you in a little while with more info.:smilie

Deysha

Thank you Deysha!
OFFICIAL FORD REP.

Quote:
Thank you Deysha!
No problem!! Please check your inbox.:smilie

Deysha

FORD SERVICE

PONY Member

Hey Jack,
The symptoms you are describing are actually competely normal and are built into the shift parameters. If you search through this forum and go back about 6-12 months, you will encounter multiple threads describing this perfectly. Sadly, the only way to get rid of this hesitation is to get a tune (Which I would highly recommend BAMA).

As for Yankefan, that is NOT normal. Take it to the dealer immediately and get it fixed.

2011 3.7 V6 Premium, Black on Black Pony Package, Comfort Package, Security Package, Airaid CAI, BAMA 93H, 2.73 gears, SVT Strut Tower Brace, Llumar Window tint
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7280 View Post
Hey Jack,
The symptoms you are describing are actually competely normal and are built into the shift parameters. If you search through this forum and go back about 6-12 months, you will encounter multiple threads describing this perfectly. Sadly, the only way to get rid of this hesitation is to get a tune (Which I would highly recommend BAMA).

As for Yankefan, that is NOT normal. Take it to the dealer immediately and get it fixed.
Hey Joe,
Thank you. I googled every way I could think of to try and find something out about if this was normal or not, lol.
Anyhow, I think you're correct. I went to my dealership today and rode with and talked to the service manager. He seemed to know what I was talking about from the get go. He claimed what I experienced was a dead spot. I hadn't realized it initially but all my experiences where this happened were when my car was already moving. Like this morning when I pulled out of my parking lot going maybe 10 mph and had to slow down to make an immediate left turn. I slowed down without stopping and then started to accelerate again and the nose sort of took a dive and there was a slight rev during the hesitation and then it finally grabbed. He told me the car upshifts quickly (which I knew) and when I would slow down only to accelerate again within seconds the computer was actually figuring out what to do. I suppose I created the perfect storm, lol. He claims in time it will learn and this will stop. I guess I'll find out, lol.

And a BIG thanks to Deysha for expediting this issue with my dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page