3.7 w/ nitrous = pure awesome - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
S197 Member

I would love to see this in person... I've been contemplating this for some time now.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hey! That price is fantastic!

For the sake of being excessive, does anyone know if our engines will hold up under regular use of a 150 shot, or is that too much of a shock to the components when compared to an SC or turbo?

I know the Procharger claims somewhere around 175 to the crank out of the box, with maybe 400-425 (?) to the rear wheels on 8-9 psi pf boost. But is a 150 shot of nitrous likely to be harder on the car than 175 coming from typical FI?

I've said several times that I have no plans of ever using nitrous (it still scares me), but I am not so close-minded that I cannot be persuaded! :p I'd love to have power on tap, and as I've analyzed my driving habits over the past two and a half years, I've never needed any boost in any challenge I've had, and I truly do not rip around anywhere near as often as one might think. I would love to have something on tap though. Pretty sure I could make a bottle last a while.

Until then, I thirst for knowledge. Beginning with the car and driver safety, focusing on the fail-safes of these systems.

I look for the meat on that N2O bone as well!
PONY Member

Nitrous is a lot of fun, I enjoyed it on my 2006 but even a 75 shot was pretty hard when it hit. The good thing is the car is already rolling out pretty good when it comes on if you set up the window switch to hold the signal until you cross 2,300 RPM.

Nitrous is definitely not as linear as a supercharger or turbo though. It comes on all at once with a lot of torque right away. I never went more than a 75 shot on the 4.0, and was thinking a 100 shot on the 3.7.

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Nitrous is a lot of fun, I enjoyed it on my 2006 but even a 75 shot was pretty hard when it hit. The good thing is the car is already rolling out pretty good when it comes on if you set up the window switch to hold the signal until you cross 2,300 RPM.

Nitrous is definitely not as linear as a supercharger or turbo though. It comes on all at once with a lot of torque right away. I never went more than a 75 shot on the 4.0, and was thinking a 100 shot on the 3.7.
Yeah, I think Solobusa once mentioned something about not recommending more than a 100 shot, but it may have been someone else.

What about boost in stages? Is there a way to set it up so that it gradually kicks in, say a 50 shot, then 100 on top of that, then the full 150?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADSIXXER View Post

Still a bit messy just finished it am wire looming and hiding things ATM

Why did you drill into the intake that far down? Just curious. From what I saw, the "Six Pack Attack" stang had it placed higher up.. "the perfect spot." I'm thinking about a kit soon too.
Rookie

Does the Stock Drive Shaft and Transmission Hold up to the 100 hp shot of nitrous ???

Jay tnt
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay tanti View Post
Does the Stock Drive Shaft and Transmission Hold up to the 100 hp shot of nitrous ???
tranny yes
driveshaft hell no xD

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
notaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
tranny yes
driveshaft hell no xD
lol even if you look at the driveshaft wrong it snaps in half and amputates your leg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaV8 View Post
lol even if you look at the driveshaft wrong it snaps in half and amputates your leg
Yeah all... 3 or so...

Not arguing against it being the weak link, but it's not like everyone's breaks. Pretty sure mine is solid as is V6 Cannonballer's.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire003 View Post
Yeah all... 3 or so...

Not arguing against it being the weak link, but it's not like everyone's breaks. Pretty sure mine is solid as is V6 Cannonballer's.
Yea because not to many people take it to thkse speeds after seeing the carnage
I sure wont be screwing srkund 100+ mph with out a new ds

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire003 View Post
Yeah all... 3 or so...

I'd put a 100 shot on it. It's not so much about exceeding 100 MPH as getting to 70 a little quicker than the next guy!
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would get this kit when my warranty is up. Could this be combined in conjunction with a supercharger. That'd be insane. And do you guys think the internals could handle it okay? How is the nitrous behave I presume it only comes on when you go full throttle? And when it hits how is it do the rpms flare up faster? Does it last through only one gear or multiple? Haha I have no clue about nitrous at all but I'd be down to do this as a power adder before supercharging. Does it require a dyno tune?

Is it bolt on/off

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA 13.5@105.69 MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected 13.3@107 MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
GT Member

You would not need to ever work it with a supercharger unless you had a built motor. Nitrous by it's self is dangerous, boost by its self can be dangerous. Add the two together and you'll have a nice view inside your block.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- 12.5@113mph - Car has 11's in it!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu12 View Post
You would not need to ever work it with a supercharger unless you had a built motor. Nitrous by it's self is dangerous, boost by its self can be dangerous. Add the two together and you'll have a nice view inside your block.
there is plenty of cars out there with forced induction and nitrous.. i wouldnt say nitrous is dangerous. maybe if its half assed but that goes for forced induction as well. and with the forged bottom end thats available now the posibilities and potential for this motor our endless.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
I would get this kit when my warranty is up. Could this be combined in conjunction with a supercharger. That'd be insane. And do you guys think the internals could handle it okay? How is the nitrous behave I presume it only comes on when you go full throttle? And when it hits how is it do the rpms flare up faster? Does it last through only one gear or multiple? Haha I have no clue about nitrous at all but I'd be down to do this as a power adder before supercharging. Does it require a dyno tune?

Is it bolt on/off

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  • Nitrous Oxide is an accelerant. It produces horsepower through accelerating the combustion process and allows more fuel to be efficiently burned in the cylinders during its introduction. To better explain how this works is through example. If a ring of lighter fluid was poured onto the ground and lit, it would burn with a cool flame of about 450 degrees. Imagine taking a bottle of liquid oxygen, which in itself is not flammable, and sprayed the flame with this oxygen. The flame would explode in a flame with temperatures approaching 1800 degrees Fahrenheit as long as the fuel lasts.
    Another example is an oxygen acetylene torch. When the gas is turned on and the torch is lit, the flame is much the same as a kerosene lamp. Once the oxygen is turned on and introduced to the flame it turns violent. The kerosene lamp just turned into a steel melting 2200-degree flame.

What Does Nitrous Do?
  • Nitrous oxide is the most popular method of increasing horsepower because of the instant boost in power and its low cost versus expensive engine modifications to gain the same result. As long as the installer and operator are fully counseled on the use of nitrous oxide it can be used until the cows come home without any effect on the engine.
    The improper use of nitrous however can melt pistons, at the very least, faster than a blink of an eye where they turn to liquid and go right out the exhaust valve. It can also send the engine into orbit when the desire to increase the nitrous to higher levels exceeds the structural integrity of the engine. A taste of nitrous power unfortunately becomes an obsession for those handicapped by lack of mechanical aptitude.

About Nitrous
  • Nitrous comes in increment from 25 horsepower to 800 plus. This is professional advice learned through the school of hard knocks from a pro mod racer for 45 years. If the longevity of the car is a primary concern where it would be desirable to use nitrous with no adverse effect at all on the engine, this is the way its done and the only way. A 75 horsepower shot of nitrous is safe for any car from a Volkswagen to an Audi.
    When higher shots of nitrous are preferred, the engine must have forged aluminum pistons to handle the increase in temperatures and pressures. As the power level increases the pressure increases dramatically in the cylinders. A pro mod race car running 300 plus horsepower of nitrous has 5 to 7,000 dollars in stronger parts to withstand these pressures and these parts do nothing to increase horsepower without the nitrous.

Fundamentals of Nitrous Oxide
  • The secret to getting 200,000 miles plus out of a nitrous-fed engine is to understand the fundamentals. First, an understanding of a proper fuel mixture and the results of the wrong mixture is important. In a normal car, a rich mixture is one that has too much fuel and not enough air. This typically causes no real harm to the engine. It will cause a lack of power, fouling of the plugs by turning them black and causing a misfire if left to long, and bad fuel economy. A lean mixture however, is a different situation. A lean mixture is too much air and not enough fuel. This can destroy an engine very quickly, depending on how lean the mixture is. A lean mixture does not burn well. It explodes and creates very high temperatures within the cylinders, can melt pistons, valves, bend connecting rods and the list goes on. With a too-lean mixture, the cylinder head get so hot that the fuel will explode as it enters the cylinder through the intake valve without the use of the spark plug. This is called detonation. So this means that we have learned the most important lesson; a lean mixture is the one that most be avoided at all costs.
    Nitrous can never be introduced into the engine dry without additional fuel because it will automatically produce a super lean condition. Most nitrous systems come with a plate or other apparatus that introduces fuel into the system at the same time. It mixes the nitrous and fuel to deliver a good mixture approaching 14.5 parts air to 1 part fuel. Stay with 75 horsepower unless the dealer is called and it is confirmed that the engine does indeed have forged aluminum pistons. If it does, 125 horsepower is the highest safe horsepower shot without engine modification. Seventy-five horsepower is a major increase of a car with 200 horsepower. It would feel like hitting the afterburner when the button is pushed.

i will just leave this here...

Read more: How Does Nitrous Oxide Work in Car Engines? | eHow.com How Does Nitrous Oxide Work in Car Engines? | eHow.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
nitrous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page