Ford Mustang Forum banner

Newest lower control arm version failed

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  theboz 
#1 ·
I bought this 2012 v6 used with 27000 on it about a year ago. It has 41000 now. The thump was noticeable when i bought it but has progressively gotten worse. It is my daughter's car so I only drive it when she comes home from school. I thought for sure it would have the old LCA installed. I crawled under there and it has the new "D" control arms with shields installed. Has anyone had the newer versions fail? This thing thumps like crazy going over bumps. Could it be something else? Everything feels solid.

#2 ·
Check out the sway bar bushings and also the sway bar end links. The bushings (two of them connect the sway bar to the frame) were totally worn on my daughters 2010 GT causing this type of noise.

G
#4 ·
Hello theboz,

I recommend you bring it in to your Ford Dealer and get it checked out. Make sure you speak with your service manager if needed. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha

#7 ·
Meh I don't know how good the revised ones are they are all the same for me @ 2000 miles I had to change both and they installed the revised ones. @ 11k miles I have gone thru 3 new sets and they still keep giving problems after about 2 to 3 k miles. I live in the Caribbean and its always hot here and the car does not move a lot so i don't know if that is a factor that is affecting them but im getting tiered of going to the dealer every 3k miles to change them. Even now they are starting to get noisee il give them about 1 more month before they go bad again.

#8 ·
I had my regular mechanic check the car out. Took him a while but he was able to find the noise with the chassis ears. It's in the steering gear. When you turn the wheel it puts a load on the gear inside and doesn't make as much noise. Of course it's not a serviceable part. He said Ford has to reprogram the new one once installed. Of course Ford told me to keep my receipts when I called because they were going to do nothing for me. Three year old car and the steering gear is shot. $1400 part and 3+ hours of labor. Ford is recalling the Fusion for the exact same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.