Ford Mustang Forum banner

I think my engine might be aging

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  mustang-lover05 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am a little worried about my engine and thought I should share my issue with you guys. My car is a performance pack Mustang V6 that came with Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar summer tires. With its original tires my car would accelerate to 60 in 5.8 seconds in completely stock condition. I got a Bama tune and Airaid CAI at 5600 miles and my 0-60 fell to 5.2 seconds which I loved. When I needed new tires my dealership stupidly switched my summer tires to Goodyear all season tires so my 0-60 time with tune fell back to 5.8, my stock time. so I figured this was just grip difference and waited till the tires needed changing again

Here is my concern, I just got new Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires installed from Costco and I thought I could get back my consistent 5.2 second 0-60 time. I was shocked, my car still hits 60 in 5.8 seconds with new summer tires and a Bama tune. I am worried if my engine has started to lose some power, I recently reached 20,000 miles on the odometer. I used to have a consistent 0-60 time from 5600 miles till 19,000 miles.

Out of fright I reflashed my tune thinking maybe this will wake it up and it made no difference. So bottom line is have you other 3.7 owners noticed your acceleration get slower as you put on miles?

Any help would be appreciated :(

See less See more
#2 ·
The lag time between our minds and our right foot increases with mileage. LOL!
I figure the tires won't make a whole lot of difference. The wheels maybe. Have you thought about 3.73 gears?
Some will likely tell you to reset the PCM or ECU or whatever the correct term is.
One of these days I'll have to check the 0-60 time on this 2011 with 57k miles on it via GPS. Is that how you're checking your 0-60 times....or with a stopwatch?

#4 ·
Saying that 2014 motor with only 20,000 miles has aged seems like a far fetched statement that has left me scratching my head...

Anyway back to the main topic to answer your question. I would contact BAMA at AM and I am sure they will help you get straightened out if it is a tune issue. There is a possibility both your car and tuner "forgot" the tune over time. I would contact them and they will have you share some data and they can go from there on how to get you back to your 5.2. Also as stated people swear by reseting you cars computer. Speaking of computer it could just be a glitch. Depending on what tuner you have you may be able to see 0-60 time on it to cross check.

Do you have an auto or manual?

#5 ·
To be honest, so many things have the potential to affect a car's performance, and the difference between 5.2 and 5.8 seconds is so small (in the real world), that any random variation in a bunch of different variables could change the outcome.

Ambient temperature, ambient humidity, fuel quality, fuel level, heat soak, tire pressure, road surface, etc.

Reactions: JonR2006
#6 ·
Your engine is fine...probably has something to do with other factors as Matthew and the others have pointed out.

This just makes me laugh...my 2V has 167k miles and runs better than ever lol.

#10 ·
well I reflashed my latest bama tune which was the one that Paul Meister made for our 3.7's and it did not help. Maybe I had all season tires for too long and it messed with the computer, I am sure it might straighten itself out though, these supersport tires have amazing grip. Maybe they will release the V2 tunes for cyclone Mustangs soon and then I will see some benefits

#11 ·
Maybe I had all season tires for too long and it messed with the computer,
C'mon man........REALLY? I expect to read something like this on a Honda forum.
Btw....where is Sugarland?(looking at that question, I'm sorry I asked)
Anyway, I'm sure it's summertime there too. With heat and humidity your times will drop. I'm sure you'll hit your ideal 60s when it cools a little.
Your 2014 car is not worn out.

Reactions: MyNameRob
#12 ·
cartman2.gif

#13 ·
The Salesman that sold my '11 Ram Hemi to me, said that today's engines aren't fully broken in until 30,000 miles. And today's engines should go 300,000 miles. So your car isn't ready for the bone yard just yet. By a long shot.

Just got new tires? Check the air pressure. Drop them down to, I'd don't know, 25ish. Go out just before dusk, and try again.

I do the "Gas Petal Reset" quite often now days. You might try that.

#14 ·
I am not good at launching my car. Actually, I stink at it. There. I said it.

I hadn't even tried since last summer. On my home from Sugarpuss's, I managed a 5.5. Which is still pretty stinky, but, it's a personal best. I'm down from 5.8. I haven't decided if the 40 pounds of stuff I had in the trunk hurt or helped. I am still running the OEM Pirelli Performance Pac tires. Still getting some wheel spin. I'd air down a bit, but I probably won't even try again anytime soon.

Last summer, I put the big ol Ram Hemi in AWD, and power braked it a bit. It supposidly did 0-60 in 5.0. Nephew's phone app. Emphasis on "supposidly". It has a Hemi Fever tune, 4.10 final gears, automatic tranny (which is like cheating).

#15 ·
A car will perform different almost everyday. Temp, humidity, DA, Etc. All those things change. For example my 2009 GT ran 13.8 one day at the track stock then other days ran 13.4 13.5. I doubt your engine is aging or has any issues along as its been maintained. If it really worries you then you could get a compression check

#18 ·
well I thank you all for your replies, I guess maybe its just weather effects, I was only nervous because I used to be able to repeat 5.2 seconds every time I launched by holding the brake and gas pedal.

#19 ·
Running it hard, on a low mile engine make me think its a PEBTWATDS error (problem exists between the wheel and the drivers seat). I'm no expert, but I remember growing up that people would say that an engine is hardly "broken in" before it hits 30,000 miles in normal driving. Not to say you are doing anything wrong, it's you car, but running it hard from new is going to age the engine, brakes, tires ext.

#20 ·
Red, I really like your sig line. Fits me, also. The more you learn the more you realize how little you know. If someone is bragging how good they can drive, they're usually 20 something.

Cem, let the temps drop, air down a bit. You'll be beck to tearing it up. BTW, 5.2 is very respectable.

#24 ·
Well I used to always rev to 2000 rpm and let go of the brake because summer tires with my 3.31 gear hooked perfectly but I can't imagine that is good for the transmission. On a related note, I think there might be an issue with either my transmission or transmission fluid because I have got this weird side effect that happens sometimes when I am on the highway. Has this ever happened to other 3.7 automatic mustang owners here:

I am going 60 mph on a highway and it's clear in front of me so I floor the gas pedal while rolling at 60 and my tachometer quickly hits 7000 rpm but the car is not accelerating, it just goes buzz buzz buzz, so I let go of the gas pedal and coast for a second and the rpm goes back down and that energy had no effect. I am on bama's latest race tune by Paul Meister. weird thing is my hybrid tune never experiences rev hang, last week I reflashed my old hybrid and tested flooring the gas pedal on my commutes and it had no issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.