Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A/C problems 2014 mustang

17K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  White3-7 
#1 ·
It's a nice hot day here in Virginia and I tried to turn on the A/C and all I got was hot air any suggestions? I plan on buying some refrigerant from Advance auto to see if it helps any...

#5 · (Edited)
For no more miles than you have and as new as it is, you should not have a freon leak, unless something has been damaged. If at any point doing these checks you find the problem and fix it, you can stop there and do not have to do the other checks.

1. I would check the fuses associated with the AC, if any are blown, write down the number (location) and amperage of the fuse, then replace it with one of the same size and type, and see what happens.

2. I would open the hood, the engine OFF, and use your hand to turn the center area of the pulley on the compressor, the outer ring where the belt rides is on a bearing with a magnetic clutch to couple the power to the center part of the pulley, if it turns CW then great the compressor is not locked up.

3. Leave the hood up, start the engine, turn the AC on, look under the hood and watch the center section of the compressor: 3 possibilities

Doesn't turn at all. Possible causes, are low on freon, bad low pressure switch, bad magnetic clutch or associated wiring or relay, a bad controller, or damaged wiring (maybe a mouse or rat)

Turns a few seconds, then stops, then repeats. Possible causes are low on freon, as new as it is, it should not have a leak, so you need to look at the AC components for leaking oil (oil is mixed with the freon, so if the freon leaks out so does some of the oil), like the AC lines, condensor coils (in front of the radiator), around the compressor itself, the evaporator is inside the AC/Heater box so can only be tested with a leak detector (device for detecting freon)

Turns all the time. For this to happen, it should have plenty of freon, the line from the compressor to the condensor coils should be hot (200+ F) and the low side on the compressor to the firewall should be cold. This means that either the door from the heater to the AC is not switching over to AC, or the temperature door is not switching over from hot to cold. Things to check are flexible vacuum lines under the dash and under the hood either disconnected or broken.

A word of caution, do not go and buy freon to put into the system, if you add freon to a system that doesn't need any more freon, you risk damaging the system and repairs could become very expensive. So please, check what I have posted, and post your results, and I or some of the others on the forum, will give you some advice on what to do next. Good Luck.

#6 ·
Thanks for that outstanding response, I'll be checking tomorrow to see exactly what it's doing. Last I checked it turned on and continuously ram but I'll make sure it isn't stopping and going as mentioned.

Thanks again!
I'll probably end up taking the hit and going to the dealership on Tuesday but I'll try and update this for future reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.