Ford Mustang Forum banner

Add me to the list of people with the hood corrosion problem.

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Renownedd 
#1 ·
I'm starting this post to add myself to the list of people who have had this issue. cryin.gif

I know there is no permanent fix. But I'm going to take it in and see what they say anyway. I will update after.

On the upside I haven't had the ABS freak out lately.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Bought it in 2011 and I'm at about 56k. I made an appointment for monday morning.

Yeah it is out of sight, so far.

#6 ·
And the answer is...

They will not cover it under warranty in any way. They also say the five year corrosion warranty doesn't exist.

I'm at over 57k miles and I bought it in Nov 2011. Deysha, can you clarify the warranty on this?

I can't believe this has been an issue since 2000 and they still haven't fixed it.

#7 ·
Who is they? dealership or ford? also which dealership?

Pg.11
(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs
first.

Pg.13
Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust,
deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other
appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements.
You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. Some examples are:
• dings, dents
• cuts, burns, punctures or tears
• road salt
• tree sap, bird and bee droppings
• windstorm, lightening, hail
• earthquake
• freezing, water or flood
• stone chips, scratches (some examples are on paint and glass)
• windshield stress cracks. However, limited coverage on windshield
stress cracks will be provided for the first 12 months in service,
regardless of miles driven, even though caused by use and/or exposure
to the elements.

(Source)

Deysha's not been around for a while now, but I hope to be made wrong....

#8 ·
The local dealership. Friendly Ford, Springfield MO. I specifically asked about that corrosion coverage and they said it doesn't exist.

Edit:
Masterang - In looking at the warranty, it seems as though the warranty only covers the damage if it causes holes in the metal itself. Not the paint.

Who is the new Ford rep since Deysha is gone? Or do we not have a contact anymore?

#9 ·
The local dealership. Friendly Ford, Springfield MO. I specifically asked about that corrosion coverage and they said it doesn't exist.
You can try another dealership or contacting a ford rep in your area. If that fails there's Small Claims court.

Even if they repaint it seems to come back though so you'll be back at square one again. They haven't fixed the problem so what's the point? IMO it's just a waste of time dealing with them and sadly that's what they want me/us to say. I'd save up for an aftermarket hood.

#14 ·
I'm probably not going to have them fix it. I know the kind of work they do and I'm not going to pay them for a worse paint job then I already have.

Since it will come back no matter how good of a job they do, I will probably just get an aftermarket hood. It will just take me forever to save up for one since they're so expensive.

I don't have the money for a lawsuit.

#15 ·
Good luck , my 2011 has being painted under warranty 3 times and the corrosion comes back . Ford doesn't want to replace the hood. They told me is a fungus on the aluminum from the hood , mostly the welds

#17 ·
Mine is getting a nasty bubble that over time is slowing getting bigger, right over the passenger side headlight. After all the reading I've done about this problem, I'm leaning towards going aftermarket for a replacement hood. It'll be expensive, so will the repaints of my GHIG hood that could very well be a repeating issue.

Is it at all possible we could get a company like Cervini to produce an OEM type hood without the big scoop in the middle?

#18 ·
Is it at all possible we could get a company like Cervini to produce an OEM type hood without the big scoop in the middle?
Please write to them! I wrote Cervini's last winter with the very same question & they said they would forward it to their R&D people. So far, no OEM fiberglass hood. But if we can convince them that there's a market for such a hood (and I genuinely believe there is), I think they'd be inclined to make them.

#19 ·
less than one month and 3100k miles out of warranty and my hood is going too. I just got back from the dealership and was told it is only covered under the 3 yr/36k mile warranty. He also commented that they have seen MANY with this issue. I guess it's time to trade her in. Between this, the random service advancetrac light that comes and go as well as the headache of having the cloth replaced on the driver's set 3 times only to have to come out of pocket to get leather put in to put an end to that problem and the lack of a fix for the airbag issue...I am done. Sucks..I always wanted this car and planned to keep it forever but the quality of it is so poor I just can't see taking the chance.

#20 ·
It seems to be a random issue. My 2007 GT had it. It was sold in 2012. My used one owner 2005 GT I bought a year ago has zero issues and somebody else owned it for 11 years. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes the nail...

#21 ·
The bubbling issue plagues numerous Ford models and Ford has pretty well insulated themselves from warranty claims by stipulating a through-going clause before they will cover it under the rust provision of their warranty. That does not prevent a dealer from covering repairs out of their pocket or using Good-faith funds the dealer has left over at the end of the month.

I'm not aware of any current status of any class action suits, but think they have been raised before.

IMO the best course is keep a good relationship with the dealer and hope they will help out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.