Ford Mustang Forum banner

Gasoline: Ethanol vs Non-Ethanol

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  BleednBlue 
#1 ·
My 2013 v6 simply does not like ethanol-laced gasoline; idles rough, RPM's will dive-bomb on occasion, throttle response seems sluggish. I'd been running non-ethanol for about a month and all those anomalies had vanished. I was in a pinch the other day & had to fill up with 10% ethanol gas...and all those issues returned (lesson learned).
Have any of you experienced this? Doesn't seem to make a difference if I run 87 or 91 octane - just as long as it's ethanol-free. My horse does not like corn.

#2 ·
I run ethanol free in my 1977 boat because of the fuel lines will be eaten up by ethanol :(. I have ran ethanol free in my Mustang but the gas station went back to 'up to 10% ethanol' gas :(. I couldn't tell any difference between the two. :)

#5 ·
We have to look far and wide around here to get pure gas and once you start looking at how little difference you make when you can only do every third fill up with it, it just isn't worth it (as much as I prefer it).

Another point you want to consider is the Top Tier fuel detergent certification as it will at least ward off carbon deposits that can result in some of the symptoms you mention. If you haven't read the full AAA study on this that came out recently, you can see it here: http://bit.ly/29mF6tL Fortunately, there are a lot of brands that have gone for the higher detergent content so the price difference in our area is often non-existent.

#6 ·
Can't get ethanol free fuel here in AZ. A while back, while traveling thru OK, was able to get ethanol free fuel. Was surprised at the difference. I know the whole idea is to cut down on emissions, but I read somewhere it takes more than a gallon of gas/diesel to make one gallon of ethanol..

#7 ·
We have about a dozen stations here in Fargo which still offer ethanol-free gas, so It's a pretty easy scenario to live with. I'm kind of surprised that more people haven't experienced the same ethanol-related issues though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.