Ford Mustang Forum banner

Power steering problem?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DUBL07 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Apologies if this has been asked and answered but I looked and couldnt find anything. long story short, I recently had to fly to San Jose for a week as my younger brother passed away unexpectedly. So my dad and I met out there to take care of his personal affairs. Upon my return, I hopped in my car this morning and noticed that my steering wheel is more difficult to turn now. Not "impossible" to turn but definitely harder than it was before I left (unless of course I'm losing my mind which is possible at this point).

I read that there is no longer 'fluid' to add, and that its now on an EPS system. So my question is, besides THAT(which im assuming is pricey as hell)and or what, rack and pinion? What else could it be? Unless there's some setting i inadvertantly changed(which i doubt) I'm not sure. And also, IF it was one of those fairly major things- wouldnt that throw a code? Service light? Something?

Oh, it's a 2014 V6 w tech/performance packages. If that matters.

I'm probably leaving out some necessary details as my brains running on fumes right now after my trip but if anyone could assist I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
First & foremost, sincere condolences on your loss. That's horrible :(

Steering feel can be adjusted on these cars. You do this by using the four-way toggle on the left side of your steering wheel to scroll through the display screen between your gauges. I believe it's under "settings". Hope this helps!

#3 ·
What Kanistare said. I too am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you may be in sport steering mode. I like mine like that, but it is pretty darn stiff, especially when stopped/slow. If that's not it, then I would hazard to guess there is something wrong with your EPS motor, which would totally suck.

#4 ·
Check to see what setting you are in. Unless you have the "Service Advance Trac" error code like I had then your power steering works. I had to get an extended warranty and drive without power steering for 4 months before I took it in to a different dealer to get it fixed. (*wink *wink) I workout and lift two plates on bench press easily I can tell you that you'll know when your electronic power steering is out because I could barely turn it at park. :|

#5 ·
good advice given. The Stang has a electric motor that turns a drive unit to steer. If it's not the simple answer given it can be anything from fuse to motor unit. One of those costs $3.73 the other I'm willing to bet when they give the price you'll be thinking "I only wanted one"

wtty?

#6 ·
tire with a slow leak? my company car has this same issue. i think it has a ball joint or tie rod issue though. stiff steering when cold and loosens when warmed up. hope you figure something out and it's not a huge issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.