Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 09-06-2010   #1 (permalink)
steveespo is offline PONY Member

steveespo's Country Flag
Port Chester   New York
steveespo is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Mustang 5.0 engine oil cooler?

Guys and gals,
Anyone know of an engine oil cooler kit for the new 5.0. I am wondering if Ford is planning on one for the Boss 302 and if so if it will air to oil or water to oil type. I don't have my car yet so I dont know if there is a location in the lower grill opening to mount one with Aeroquip fittings and filter block adapter like I installed on my 87 GT. My understanding is the performance is reduced when oil temps rise to 250 F, which is fine but being a nut I like to get the max performance from my engines or at least know I do during track day or Auto-X.
Steve
Brembos, 3.55, 6M, Electronics, rear cam, HID's. Koni Yellows, Boss front valance, Boss front grille, GT 500 rear diffuser, Boss 302 splitter, Boss 302 rear axle cover, Boss Intake, Boss stripes, Boss 302 oil cooler, M-2004 brake cooling kit, DBA 5000 front rotors, Baer Eradispeed 14" rear rotors, Hawk HPS+ pads, Boss 302 steering wheel, Boss 302 shift knob, M-5300-P springs, FRRP 302S 19x9/19x10 wheels, GT 500 axlebacks, Steeda CAI, Tiger Racing 302S hood
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010   #2 (permalink)
Modshack is offline Made Member

Modshack's Country Flag  View Modshack's HomePage
Greenville   North Carolina
Modshack is on a distinguished road

Unlikely the car will really need one except for serious, extended track work. With 8 quarts in the system it should run pretty cool. Water temps are not super high at around 195 degrees. Apparently the bosses were left for future cooler fittings but from my experience, even with a thermostatic plate, it is very easy to over cool your oil. Someone that has a temp gauge installed needs to chime in, but I suspect temps, for your usage, should not be a problem. I just came from a 370Z where temps are a huge issue. I installed a cooler and did a lot of datalogging etc. On that car with it's high friction valve train and a 5 qt capacity it was desirable. I think not so much on the mustang..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-06-2010   #3 (permalink)
CaptnRbrt is offline PONY Member

S197 Member

CaptnRbrt's Country Flag  View CaptnRbrt's 21 photos
Ellisville   Mississippi
CaptnRbrt is on a distinguished road

It would be interesting to see actual oil temp figures in different situations. I agree that oil temp should not be an issue without hard track duty or extended idling(law enforcement use?). And oil needs to reach a certain temp to be most effective, according to what I have read.
2011 GB 5.0 GT-A w/ Geezer Pkg, 3D Carbon body kit, 08 GT500 18" nto's, MRT rear louvers, SS Eleanor grille, Roush rear spoiler, SHR gas door and qtr window louvers. Pypes Super System, SLP rear decklid.
Unread 09-06-2010   #4 (permalink)
dragstart is offline Apprentice

dragstart's Country Flag
seattle   Washington
dragstart is on a distinguished road

RPM's are big oil temp raiser. Sustained high RPM's call for a cooler.
Unread 09-06-2010   #5 (permalink)
cababah is offline GT Member

cababah's Country Flag
SF Bay Area   California
cababah is on a distinguished road

I think an oil cooler is not necessary and possibly detrimental unless the car spends most of it's time as a track car..this car has quite a large sump for a reason.

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Unread 09-06-2010   #6 (permalink)
908ssp is offline GT Member

908ssp's Country Flag  View 908ssp's 11 photos
Keego Harbor   Michigan
908ssp is on a distinguished road

The amount of oil an engine sump holds does not reduce the temperature of the oil it only takes slightly longer for the oil to get hot. The heat disapation is the same whether it holds 5 quarts or 8 quarts. An oil cooler does make a difference and oil to water cooler has the advantage of both heating the oil and cooling the oil to the same temperature as the water. This may be cool enough or may not depending on the engine design and requirements. If the water temperature is over heating then using the water to cool the oil is a bad idea but if the water temperature stays where you want then adding the job of cooling the oil may work out well.
Unread 09-06-2010   #7 (permalink)

cababah's Country Flag
SF Bay Area   California

interesting..maybe some of the guys that have 5.0's as track only vehicles can chime in since us DD's don't really have a need for this

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Unread 09-07-2010   #8 (permalink)
brycerichert is offline GT Member

brycerichert's Country Flag
Newcastle   Washington
brycerichert is on a distinguished road

I've had a few full 25 minute track sessions at full on (4500-6800 RPM) and experienced no overheating. This was true 25 minutes of hot lapping, not including warm up or cool down. Unless you are doing enduro... I wouldn't worry about it. They ran this engine hot (redline) without stopping for hundreds, if not thousands of hours during testing. It's track ready... not sure about enduro... but def. "track".
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Unread 09-07-2010   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post
The amount of oil an engine sump holds does not reduce the temperature of the oil it only takes slightly longer for the oil to get hot. The heat disapation is the same whether it holds 5 quarts or 8 quarts.

Gonna have to disagree here. With a large 8qt sump, more oil spends more time in the sump where it is cooled by airflow. Squeeze the supply down to 5 quarts and a greater percentage of the capacity is spent in the engine and valvetrain where the heat is generated. Rinse and repeat. Oil is a cooling medium. The more you have and the smaller percentage spent up where the heat is generated, the greater the cooling effect.
Unread 09-07-2010   #10 (permalink)

cababah's Country Flag
SF Bay Area   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Gonna have to disagree here. With a large 8qt sump, more oil spends more time in the sump where it is cooled by airflow. Squeeze the supply down to 5 quarts and a greater percentage of the capacity is spent in the engine and valvetrain where the heat is generated. Rinse and repeat. Oil is a cooling medium. The more you have and the smaller percentage spent up where the heat is generated, the greater the cooling effect.
for daily driving, i agree. however, i remember reading an article where a coyote development engineer said the large sump helps avoid the need of an oil cooler but for "heavy" track use, it is recommended.

-Jozsefsz

Unread 09-07-2010   #11 (permalink)
captcarb is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

captcarb's Country Flag
central   Florida
captcarb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Guys and gals,
Anyone know of an engine oil cooler kit for the new 5.0. I am wondering if Ford is planning on one for the Boss 302 and if so if it will air to oil or water to oil type. I don't have my car yet so I dont know if there is a location in the lower grill opening to mount one with Aeroquip fittings and filter block adapter like I installed on my 87 GT. My understanding is the performance is reduced when oil temps rise to 250 F, which is fine but being a nut I like to get the max performance from my engines or at least know I do during track day or Auto-X.
Steve
Eight replies and not one addressed your question!

I have searched for this answer and this is the closest I have come:

Ford Racing M-6642-S101 - Ford Racing Engine Oil Cooler Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Maybe in time there will be one that is specific to the 2011.

This article on the Coyote engine says that the engineers were in favor of a cooler:

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords

In my wanderings searching for an oil temp gauge that would not look too amateur, I came across this neat little deal that can be mounted in the air conditioning outlet with the Roush kit:

Aeroforce Ford CN Series SINGLE Interceptor Scan Gauge [AF-CNF01] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I hope this helps.

jim
Unread 09-07-2010   #12 (permalink)

S197 Member

captcarb's Country Flag
central   Florida

Here is one for the 2011, but it is not from Ford:

Mishimoto Performance Oil Cooler Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

jim
Unread 09-07-2010   #13 (permalink)
steveespo is offline PONY Member

steveespo's Country Flag
Port Chester   New York
steveespo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Captcarb
I do like the Mishimoto unit. I guess I have to check if our FL-500 filters are the same thread and base as the FL-1A. Also if the filter location is within range of the premade braided lines. I coul always make my own aeroquips if need be. I also read the interview with the Coyote engineers and read between the lines, they wanted an oil cooler and the bean counters cut it as 'most' owners won't encounter sustained high revs. My BMW 335 had the same issue, only manual trans cars got the oil cooler (mine) but the autos didn't. After numerous limp home mode episodes BMW retrofitted the coolers to cars that the owners requested at no charge. I hope Ford doesn't face this but I know keeping engine oil between 225-235 is optimal for friction reduction and oil life, the oil is the only coolant for main and rod bearing as well as all the valve train parts except the valve heads which transfer heat through the valve seat to the coolant jacket around the chambers. we even have piston cooling jets to allow 11-1 compression withot detonation. I'll get off the soapbox but I think an engine oil cooler is a good investment for anyone running a 'tune', S/C, or any extreme duty such as track days or multiple drag runs.
Steve
Brembos, 3.55, 6M, Electronics, rear cam, HID's. Koni Yellows, Boss front valance, Boss front grille, GT 500 rear diffuser, Boss 302 splitter, Boss 302 rear axle cover, Boss Intake, Boss stripes, Boss 302 oil cooler, M-2004 brake cooling kit, DBA 5000 front rotors, Baer Eradispeed 14" rear rotors, Hawk HPS+ pads, Boss 302 steering wheel, Boss 302 shift knob, M-5300-P springs, FRRP 302S 19x9/19x10 wheels, GT 500 axlebacks, Steeda CAI, Tiger Racing 302S hood
Unread 09-07-2010   #14 (permalink)

S197 Member

captcarb's Country Flag
central   Florida

It certainly could not hurt. If the concern is running too cold in cold climates then a guy could run a cooler with a thermostatic bypass.

jim
Unread 09-07-2010   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcarb View Post
It certainly could not hurt. If the concern is running too cold in cold climates then a guy could run a cooler with a thermostatic bypass.

jim
The problem is, thermostatic bypasses don't bypass 100% until they get up to temp. There is always a bleed through the cooler resulting in the oil coming up to temp slower particularly when it's cool out. And since they never really shut off you may find your oil overcooled in some climates. I had to build a partial block off plate for my 370 to keep things in line when it was cool out. And this in temperate NC without an excessively large cooler core.

This from Mocal (maker of Thermo take off plates):

"Mocal oil thermostats are designed to regulate oil flow
through cooling devices until optimal (minimum)
temperatures are reached. Cold oil enters the
thermostat and is bypassed through the center of the
unit returning to engine (figure 1). During warm-up
the thermostat never closes off oil flow to the cooler,
rather, it offers a less restrictive path for the oil to flow*
allowing the cooler to acclimate to system
temperature. As oil warms to 180 degrees (200 in high
temp versions) the operating "waxstat" closes the
bypass permitting full flow to cooler (figure 2).
*percentage of oil bypass can vary up to the point
where the bypass is closed and full flow to the cooler
is achieved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162