Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011 + Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-14-2013   #1 (permalink)
fwd2rwd is offline Apprentice

fwd2rwd's Country Flag
Hampton   Virginia
fwd2rwd is on a distinguished road
Default question for the exhaust gods! Lol

So currently I have a BAMA tuned 5.0 with an off road X-pipe and GT500 axle backs, I like the sound and tone alot but I'm always one for change, that being said I'm thinking about deleting the resonators, should I or not? Will there be a lot of drone? I have none now. Will it be raspy as all get out? I cant seem to find any/good videos of that set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2013   #2 (permalink)
nsadams87xx is offline Banned

nsadams87xx's Country Flag
Milwaukee   Wisconsin
nsadams87xx is on a distinguished road

GT500 axle backs can't drone. Ditch the resonators. Switch to an off road H pipe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-14-2013   #3 (permalink)

fwd2rwd's Country Flag
Hampton   Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
GT500 axle backs can't drone. Ditch the resonators. Switch to an off road H pipe.
why can't they? So even with my o/r X pipe and resonators gone and the GT500 AB's it should still sound good, but louder with no drone? How about rasp you think? I don't and H..
Unread 02-14-2013   #4 (permalink)

Milwaukee   Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd2rwd View Post
why can't they? So even with my o/r X pipe and resonators gone and the GT500 AB's it should still sound good, but louder with no drone? How about rasp you think? I don't and H..

Because GT500's were made specifically to tackle obstructing sound frequencies. Remember, they're OEM parts. You might get a bit more rasp with the resonators gone but probably not anything worthy of noting. If anything the tone will sound more open and throaty. Why no H pipes? If you don't like rasp, X pipes are the last thing you want. Performance differences are negligible nowadays. There really are none for street cars.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-14-2013   #5 (permalink)

fwd2rwd's Country Flag
Hampton   Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Because GT500's were made specifically to tackle obstructing sound frequencies. Remember, they're OEM parts. You might get a bit more rasp with the resonators gone but probably not anything worthy of noting. If anything the tone will sound more open and throaty. Why no H pipes? If you don't like rasp, X pipes are the last thing you want. Performance differences are negligible nowadays. There really are none for street cars.
Nice, Great info I appreciate it! I only have the X because I got a Killer deal, I don't want to buy another then try to sell/ship this one!
I guess Ill go to my local exhaust shop and see what they will charge to do it.
Unread 02-14-2013   #6 (permalink)
AMDanBailer is offline Site Sponsor

AMDanBailer's Country Flag  View AMDanBailer's HomePage
Malvern   Pennsylvania
AMDanBailer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd2rwd View Post
So currently I have a BAMA tuned 5.0 with an off road X-pipe and GT500 axle backs, I like the sound and tone alot but I'm always one for change, that being said I'm thinking about deleting the resonators, should I or not? Will there be a lot of drone? I have none now. Will it be raspy as all get out? I cant seem to find any/good videos of that set up.
FWD2RWD,

I definitely agree with all the information being tossed around in here. I don't think you'll have any drone coming from your Gt500 Mufflers, even after you cut the resonators out! It's going to sound even better with them removed. However, you may get a little rasp but I agree with the above statement "Probably nothing to note about"!

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Unread 02-14-2013   #7 (permalink)

fwd2rwd's Country Flag
Hampton   Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
FWD2RWD,

I definitely agree with all the information being tossed around in here. I don't think you'll have any drone coming from your Gt500 Mufflers, even after you cut the resonators out! It's going to sound even better with them removed. However, you may get a little rasp but I agree with the above statement "Probably nothing to note about"!

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Then it sounds like a plan DAN lol! The last thing I would really like to TOP IT ALL OFF for exhaust note would be your BAMA Cam Tune, but I'm assuming you don't cant write a tune for the Trinity with the Cam file in it, can you?
Unread 02-14-2013   #8 (permalink)
burke985 is offline GT Member

burke985's Country Flag
Slidell   Louisiana
burke985 is on a distinguished road

Sports with no resonators ....I don hear no stinking rasp

12 GT , TSW Nurb 19", JBA Axel-Backs,Roush TVS Stage 3,Kenne Belle BAP,JPC Over Axel Pipes ,MagnaFlow Tru-X O/R Xpipe, 3:31's, Brembo Package ,Steeda Tri-Ax / Bracket, Roush Billet LCA's, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda pro-action shock/strut with HD mounts,Steeda adj. pan hard bar,Steeda LCA re-location brackets, Steeda Adj UCA and Bracket, JHR Clutch Line, Shaftmasters 1-piece DS, Boss Oil Cooler, SOS Dual pillar, Roush Boost Gauge, Aeroforce Interceptor

617 whp and 544 wtq @ 9.5psi
Unread 02-14-2013   #9 (permalink)

fwd2rwd's Country Flag
Hampton   Virginia

I read the description on all his videos and the one you posted he does have resonators on his car, they are not stock but he has the Dynomax bullet ones.
Unread 02-14-2013   #10 (permalink)

burke985's Country Flag
Slidell   Louisiana

Thats my car and that video was made before i put the bullets in. Bullets just toned it down some for daily driving. I dont think with the GT 500 you will get any just make it sound louder and meaner than it already does
12 GT , TSW Nurb 19", JBA Axel-Backs,Roush TVS Stage 3,Kenne Belle BAP,JPC Over Axel Pipes ,MagnaFlow Tru-X O/R Xpipe, 3:31's, Brembo Package ,Steeda Tri-Ax / Bracket, Roush Billet LCA's, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda pro-action shock/strut with HD mounts,Steeda adj. pan hard bar,Steeda LCA re-location brackets, Steeda Adj UCA and Bracket, JHR Clutch Line, Shaftmasters 1-piece DS, Boss Oil Cooler, SOS Dual pillar, Roush Boost Gauge, Aeroforce Interceptor

Unread 02-14-2013   #11 (permalink)

Milwaukee   Wisconsin

Burke's car is one BA MOFO.
Unread 02-14-2013   #12 (permalink)
Muckerpuck is offline GT Member

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Muckerpuck's Country Flag  View Muckerpuck's 58 photos
Hills   Wisconsin
Muckerpuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke985 View Post
Sports with no resonators ....I don hear no stinking rasp

In the dictionary that should be next to the description for rasp.
Unread 02-14-2013   #13 (permalink)

burke985's Country Flag
Slidell   Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckerpuck View Post
In the dictionary that should be next to the description for rasp.
I don't think so bub, what do you 4.6 guys know about rasp anyway

Unread 02-14-2013   #14 (permalink)
Grimace427

Honestly Burke you didn't really get on it to know what rasp is in that video. WOT at around 3-4k is where it lurks.

Unread 02-15-2013   #15 (permalink)
powerhogger is offline PONY Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

powerhogger's Country Flag
Houston   Texas
powerhogger is on a distinguished road

Get rid of the resonators. It's worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network