Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011 + Mustang GT Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang GT Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

View Poll Results: Which system?
Hellion Twin Turbo 7 46.67%
Paxton Novi 2200 Competition 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-08-2013   #1 (permalink)
Force Induced is offline Rookie

Force Induced's Country Flag
Lafayette   Louisiana
Force Induced is on a distinguished road
Default Hellion Twin Turbo vs Paxton Novi 2200 HO Competition

So I've been weighing my options on which system will provide the best power per gallon of fuel and also balance a reasonable cost. My car is a 2013 5.0 Auto.

I plan to put in Manley H beams and Forged Pistons either diamonds or manley with new valve springs. I've also been debating what compression ratio I want to run I'm leaning towards high compression low boost but possibly low compression high boost but I'd rather retain some good low end under 3k rpms.

I'll also be running a Circle D 2c torque converter , ID 1000's and off road exhaust. (possibly a boos 302 intake), of course a good tune from Lund or or a highly reputable shop at my local mustang dyno.

I know this is a tough decision but there is a decent bit of cost difference but they are apples and oranges. I have yet to ride in a centrifugal powered car so im unfamiliar with is feel of power boost. I have owned a few turbo setups though. I appreciate any input. Also my self and my local buddies have a good amount of mechanic experience and can do nearly all of the install ourselves.

Regards,

Josh
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2013   #2 (permalink)
downwardspiral is offline PONY Member

downwardspiral's Country Flag  View downwardspiral's 16 photos
Long Island   New York
downwardspiral is on a distinguished road

I dont like the location of the turbos in the hellion kit. I would imagine a little fender bender would cause some serious damage. I guess it's not something relevant in a race-ish car. The paxton is the best buy per dollar, but I have a thing for turbos. It's probably just because I'm an engineer though lol. If the price isn't a major deciding factor I'd go with the hellion kit.
1973 Mustang Mach 1- Fuel injected 351c, toploader 4 speed, 9" trac-lok, Hotrod Flatz OD green
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-08-2013   #3 (permalink)
cudaman is offline PONY Member

cudaman's Country Flag
San Jose   California
cudaman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwardspiral View Post
I dont like the location of the turbos in the hellion kit. I would imagine a little fender bender would cause some serious damage. I guess it's not something relevant in a race-ish car. The paxton is the best buy per dollar, but I have a thing for turbos. It's probably just because I'm an engineer though lol. If the price isn't a major deciding factor I'd go with the hellion kit.
The object is to NOT get into a fender bender however. They have to put the turbos somewhere for efficiency, heat dissipation, etc and some protection, but protecting them from physical damage in accidents isn't job one.
Unread 05-08-2013   #4 (permalink)
Bgoins is offline PONY Member

Bgoins's Country Flag
Chesapeake   Virginia
Bgoins is on a distinguished road

Turbo will always beat a supercharger when it comes down to HP per pound of boost. This is the kit to get.
http://twinturbo50.com/

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 05-09-2013   #5 (permalink)
manolith is offline GT Member

S197 Member

manolith's Country Flag
Miami   Florida
manolith is on a distinguished road

the paxton kit and hellion twins are not even in the same class. the hellion twins are 8k and the paxton kit is less than 5k.

anyways the paxton boost will feel very different than the turbos. it will make power but it wont make near the same torque that a tt will make.
if i had the money to get a tt setup i would had gone that route instead of the paxton. either setup will be pretty much handy capped unless you build the motor though so think about that.
2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
Unread 05-09-2013   #6 (permalink)
Force Induced is offline Rookie

Force Induced's Country Flag
Lafayette   Louisiana
Force Induced is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
Turbo will always beat a supercharger when it comes down to HP per pound of boost. This is the kit to get.
http://twinturbo50.com/
Good luck gettin in touch with Ken B or John about the kit I've been trying to for months and no reply's that level of communication is steering me away from them. Also not to mention the TT50 kit is using magnum turbo's I believe ,where as Hellion is using precision and I can personally vouch for precision CEA compressor quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post
the paxton kit and hellion twins are not even in the same class. the hellion twins are 8k and the paxton kit is less than 5k.

anyways the paxton boost will feel very different than the turbos. it will make power but it wont make near the same torque that a tt will make.
if i had the money to get a tt setup i would had gone that route instead of the paxton. either setup will be pretty much handy capped unless you build the motor though so think about that.
I do plan on dropping forged internals and billet oil pump gears with MMR valve springs. See my only arguement with the paxton is I have to buy headers which adds say 900$, also the adjustability of the turbo system with boost is great. However I've been investing so much $$$$$ into casrs this past year its starting to wear on me lol. Thats why I'm considering the slightly cheaper paxton system. The paxton in the end of my initial calculations comes out about 2.5k cheaper than the hellion setup.
Unread 05-09-2013   #7 (permalink)

S197 Member

manolith's Country Flag
Miami   Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force Induced View Post
Good luck gettin in touch with Ken B or John about the kit I've been trying to for months and no reply's that level of communication is steering me away from them. Also not to mention the TT50 kit is using magnum turbo's I believe ,where as Hellion is using precision and I can personally vouch for precision CEA compressor quality.

I do plan on dropping forged internals and billet oil pump gears with MMR valve springs. See my only arguement with the paxton is I have to buy headers which adds say 900$, also the adjustability of the turbo system with boost is great. However I've been investing so much $$$$$ into casrs this past year its starting to wear on me lol. Thats why I'm considering the slightly cheaper paxton system. The paxton in the end of my initial calculations comes out about 2.5k cheaper than the hellion setup.
You don't have to put headers dude. You want to but is not needed. The stock headers are good for big power.
2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
Unread 05-09-2013   #8 (permalink)

Bgoins's Country Flag
Chesapeake   Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force Induced View Post
Good luck gettin in touch with Ken B or John about the kit I've been trying to for months and no reply's that level of communication is steering me away from them.
That's too bad, it looks like a pretty beast setup.

I've heard good things about Hellion customer service though and they know what they're doing when it comes to forced induction. I always thought it was funny that with all the turbo kits they make John Urist uses a Procharger on his Street Outlaw Mustang.

Unread 05-09-2013   #9 (permalink)
Grimace427

Quote:
I've heard good things about Hellion customer service though and they know what they're doing when it comes to forced induction. I always thought it was funny that with all the turbo kits they make John Urist uses a Procharger on his Street Outlaw Mustang.

If you spent five minutes on S197forum, you would think Hellion/BBR was run by monkeys. There was a lot of back and forth with them and mustang owners who become former customers of theirs due to extremely poor customer service, even going so far as to accuse customers of theft. Now this is all second hand info and I hope it has improved since I read those stories, but it is enough to where I would not run a free Hellion turbo kit on my car. Their single turbo kits had a myriad of issues from pipes hitting the crossmember and bottoming out on the road, to turbo surging issues from improperly sized pipes.

A lot of turbo experts agreed their newer twin setup is vastly improved but people were still taking their kits to shops to be tuned that were not BBR(which in case anyone doesn't know is their tuning house, similar to BAMA is to American Muscle).

Anyone interested in hearing a great story, you should ask Beefcake about how he was called out by BBR and their 'mystery Coyote' and they never showed up. Beefcake drove the 10 hours to the track anyway.

My money would go to the Paxton. Well known to work and work well. If Beefcake can run 8's with his system, there is no reason to think you(general person) would be limiting yourself at all with your street car.

Unread 05-09-2013   #10 (permalink)
dmp0001 is offline PONY Member

dmp0001's Country Flag  View dmp0001's 16 photos
Colorado Springs   Colorado
dmp0001 is on a distinguished road

I would go with a supercharger over a turbo kit any day. The reason for this is complexity and reliability. I have never seen an aftermarket turbo kit that did not require constant attention. Any reputable supercharger kit on the market will run as good as stock with very few issues. Your TT kit will (my opinion) require constant tuning and never feel quite right.

1995 5.0 cobra clone. BBK full exhaust, BBK intake, 70mm throttle body. (sold)
Unread 05-09-2013   #11 (permalink)

S197 Member

manolith's Country Flag
Miami   Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp0001 View Post
I would go with a supercharger over a turbo kit any day. The reason for this is complexity and reliability. I have never seen an aftermarket turbo kit that did not require constant attention. Any reputable supercharger kit on the market will run as good as stock with very few issues. Your TT kit will (my opinion) require constant tuning and never feel quite right.

i dont think so. this computers can adjust for major variations in weather conditions. i believe that the hellion tt comes with tial hardware which is really top notch. a buddy of mine has a 2005 s2000 turbo with 450whp. it has over 15k with the turbo setup and the only thing that its done to it is oil and spark plugs. i dont see how this motor would be any different. now if you get a crappy turbo kit you will run into reliability issues. a supercharger has its own issues and the head units them self can become faulty and belt slipping could be a big issue once boost is raised.
Unread 05-09-2013   #12 (permalink)
burke985 is offline GT Member

burke985's Country Flag
Slidell   Louisiana
burke985 is on a distinguished road

Dammit all these supercharger threads lately are making me anxious , july needs to hurry its ass up :kooky:
12 GT , TSW Nurb 19", JBA Axel-Backs,Roush TVS Stage 3,Kenne Belle BAP,JPC Over Axel Pipes ,MagnaFlow Tru-X O/R Xpipe, 3:31's, Brembo Package ,Steeda Tri-Ax / Bracket, Roush Billet LCA's, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda pro-action shock/strut with HD mounts,Steeda adj. pan hard bar,Steeda LCA re-location brackets, Steeda Adj UCA and Bracket, JHR Clutch Line, Shaftmasters 1-piece DS, Boss Oil Cooler, SOS Dual pillar, Roush Boost Gauge, Aeroforce Interceptor

617 whp and 544 wtq @ 9.5psi
Unread 05-10-2013   #13 (permalink)
JohnRichard is offline GT Member

JohnRichard's Country Flag  View JohnRichard's 14 photos
Oklahoma City   Oklahoma
JohnRichard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Twin Turbo 5.0

No ****, twin turbos and e-85... you will have one very sick (Fast/Quick) ride...

If I had the money to do one or the other, I wouldn't waste it on a belt driven turbo...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Unread 05-10-2013   #14 (permalink)

Bgoins's Country Flag
Chesapeake   Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
If you spent five minutes on S197forum, you would think Hellion/BBR was run by monkeys. There was a lot of back and forth with them and mustang owners who become former customers of theirs due to extremely poor customer service, even going so far as to accuse customers of theft. Now this is all second hand info and I hope it has improved since I read those stories, but it is enough to where I would not run a free Hellion turbo kit on my car. Their single turbo kits had a myriad of issues from pipes hitting the crossmember and bottoming out on the road, to turbo surging issues from improperly sized pipes.

A lot of turbo experts agreed their newer twin setup is vastly improved but people were still taking their kits to shops to be tuned that were not BBR(which in case anyone doesn't know is their tuning house, similar to BAMA is to American Muscle).
I had never heard that about Hellion. Before I got my '13 I had a fox body and was interested in a turbo for it. On the Corral forums most of the gripes were aimed at On3 and their customer service. B&G was one that I repeatedly heard good things about. Evidently he has a kit for the 05-10 but not the Coyote.
I still have dreams of a turbocharged fox body though!

Unread 05-10-2013   #15 (permalink)
Kona stang10 is offline GT Member

Kona stang10's Country Flag  View Kona stang10's 6 photos
Delaware
Kona stang10 is on a distinguished road

Everything eventually comes down to price. A tt kit can cost almost twice as much as a supercharger kit. For that amount a tt better outperform a supercharger!
2012 GT Premium, Tremec 6speed manual,Ford racing 4:10's,Paxton novi 2200sl, Spec3+clutch, Whitleline lca,steeda adj. uca,Whiteline relo brackets, Sway bars, watts link, Steeda sport springs, Steeda hd strut mounts, Takico D-spec struts and shocks, Tremec Shifter, GT-500 Axle backs, kooks super street headers, S/W 3" off road x, Dyno tech d/s, JLT big Air Intake, Rev auto 93 dyno tune, Boss 19" 302 s wheels with m/t dr's staggered..625rwhp, 492 ft lbs of torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162