Ford Mustang Forum banner

New Wheels and Tires Ordered!!!

7K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Kbreeze 
#1 ·
I am not usually one to plug for an internet merchant...and I really hope I haven't fallen into some elaborate scam...BUT I just ordered
MHT Forged Edition 'Paragon' wheels, 20x10 rear and 20x9 front, wrapped with 295/30/20(r) and 255/35/20(f) Pirelli PZero tires.

Ordering from "Mr. Wheel Deal" saved me $627 over the cheapest internet wheel distributor I could find...

#3 ·

#4 ·
I ordered through Steve at MrWheelDeal.com - Save big on XD, Moto Metal, Boss, and more and MHT is building my wheels. Estimate 3-4 weeks for delivery...

The process of ordering wheels through Mr. Wheel Deal is pretty straight forward...you find the perfect wheel for your needs and then fill out the form on his page. Within a few hours, I had an email from Steve with a few questions...after I responded, he contacted MHT and then came back to me with a quote...which was over $100 cheaper per wheel than the nearest online retailer.
I had included what tires I wanted...his initial quote for the tires was more expensive than another online retailer. He asked for the website, which I provided, and a few hours later he came back able to meet the same online price with MUCH less shipping costs! He explained that he had to order from different vendors offering low stock discounts on the tires...so he is getting the tires from different vendors to fulfill my order.

Here is the kicker...I believe that he is only charging what it costs him to ship the wheels. Where most sites charge at least $99/wheel, Steve is only charging ~$160 for the entire set of wheels and tires. :bigthumbsup

#5 ·
Big Birt, mind telling us what color your car is in your signature? Great looking wheels, add some pics of your car before & after.:bigthumbsup

#6 · (Edited)
As you wish...it is as stated in the Sig block...for now...I have other plans...to which I can credit Chip Foose...I used to own a 1997 Autumn Orange GT 'vert...I loved that color...it too had a black top!!

G
#7 ·
After reading this tread, I put a quote request for some Foose Classics 500 18x9 and 18x10. Right after the request I went on google to look for other retailers to look at prices and I nearly died. Averaging $1100-1500 per wheel. Let's see what kind of deal this guy can make!

#8 ·
Make sure you let us know what Steve comes back with...from what I read on other sites and his own site, I am sure you will be getting the best price through his site...

#9 ·
Waiting on my Boss 338s to arrive from Steve now.
Boss 338 wheels 20x8.5 & 20x10
KDW2s F:255/35/20 R:275/35/20

Price:$1646...that includes shipping.

#22 ·
Nice what finish did you get on the wheels? Please post pics after you get them on.

#10 ·
So...I had an interesting experience with Steve...bottom line is that he did make everything right...

I received my custom build wheels in Jan. When I test fit them, the front wheels contacted the Brembo brake calipers...OUCH! Additionally, they were 20x8.5" instead of 20x9". I contacted Steve and he responded within 2 hours...

As it would turn out, I had two separate email exchanges with Steve prior to my purchase, and failed to remind Steve that my GT had the Brembo package...therefore, the offset was designed for standard GT brakes. I told Steve that I understood what he was saying, but that does not excuse the fact that I ordered the front wheels as 20x9 and received 20x8.5...

Steve convinced MHT to fix the caliper clearance, since the wheel was the wrong size...the catch was that all four wheels had to be returned because to fix the caliper clearance, the spoke design had to be curved.

MHT is NOT fast at building wheels...and I JUST received my wheels two days ago. They were definately worth the wait. I'll upload a few pictures and post here in a few.

#11 ·
#12 ·
#13 ·
#15 ·
DAMN those are nice!

Would you mind sharing (or PMing me) the total cost of your order?

I've been searching for a good place to buy wheels and if this is true, I may use Steve.
I paid $4537 for the wheels and tires, shipped.

Because I had to send them back for rebuild, it cost me another $200 (I assume for shipping both ways). Bringing my total cost to $4737.

In comparison, the same wheels and tires from the cheapest online source I found was $5219.

The real kick in the shorts was having to wait. I don't think this was Mr. Wheel Deal's (Steve's) fault though. The MHT wheels I purchased were a custom order. MHT claims 3-4 weeks for delivery, but it took nearly two months to receive the wheels....and when they didn't fit properly, I had to wait another two months.

In the end, I am pleased. They fit perfectly now, and look awesome. Even my tire place was impressed with the wheels, as they only needed one or two small wheel weights to balance out...

I was kind of disappointed by the weight of the wheel/tire combo. Because they are two piece forged, I thought they would be lighter than the factory 19" Brembo package wheels. I don't have a scale, but my impression is that the front 20x9 with the 255/35/20 Pirelli PZero carcas weigh the same as the stock brembo setup (Cast wheel with PZero 255/40/19). The 20x10 rear wheels with 295/30/20 PZeros definately weigh more than the stock rollers.

#17 ·
5k for those????

Damn man, you could have gotten a sweet ass deal for like 2.5-3k on much, much nicer rims. Foose, RTR's, Forged GT500's on SVT performance package etc.

I thought you were going to say they cost you like 1.5k with tires. :laugh:

#19 ·
5k for those????

Damn man, you could have gotten a sweet ass deal for like 2.5-3k on much, much nicer rims. Foose, RTR's, Forged GT500's on SVT performance package etc.

I thought you were going to say they cost you like 1.5k with tires. :laugh:

You are so right...but wait...MHT makes Foose wheels...and if you want to buy the standard, one piece, cast Foose edition wheel than you are right. You can get them cheaper.

Let's do the math. First you have to price the tires themselves.
2 x Pirelli PZero 255/35/20 on tirerack are $860
2 x Pirelli PZero 295/30/20 are $706 (at closeout pricing!! They are normally around $500 each)

So tires alone are over $1500 and without closeout will run you somewhere around $1800-$1900 already busting your 1.5k with tires estimate.

Now let's look at the wheels themselves. They are not your run of the mill cast wheel (one piece Foose, and RTRs). They are MHT Forged Edition wheels...Forged...and look better (IN MY OPINION) than the GT500 Forged wheels.

Many onlline retailers list them in this size ranging from $860 - $1075 each. Steve, of Mr. Wheel Deal, got them for $704 each.

I consider this a good deal...even for "those" wheels.

#21 ·
I completely understand that. My problem was that the local Starbucks drive-through had a curved curb preventing the driver from making a right out of the parking lot. I didn't know that, and there was no indication of it until I ran over that curb, rashing both wheels on that side really badly and making a nice dent in my undercarriage. When I got out of the car and looked, you could tell that I was not the first person to run over that curb...Five days later, they painted lines on the drive through lane and installed a large post with a left turn only sign.

Could I have purchased replacement Brembo wheels? Yes...I could buy any wheel I wanted...and that is what I did.

#20 ·
OMG, I'm trying to squeeze 2 grand out of my budget to get wheels and tires...can't imagine trying to squeeze 5 grand out of it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.