Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 10-08-2012   #1 (permalink)
mnast52 is offline Banned

mnast52's Country Flag
Baltimore   Maryland
mnast52 is on a distinguished road
Default Excited About '13 V6; Has Questions

D-Day is upon me, ("D" meaning "totally freaking awesome"), and I can't help but dream of all the fun I am going to have in this car. That being said, I have a few questions...

1) Gears. I've driven the base V6. Had a lot of fun, but I ordered mine with the PP and as you all know, it comes with the 3.31's. Can I expect a huge difference in pull, or is it only somewhat noticeable? Same question about handling...

2) Exhaust. I've done my research on exhausts but I don't feel 100% comfortable about making my selection based on sounds from a video. Are the sound clips online generally accurate? What would be a mean, yet NO DRONE WHATSOEVER, exhaust to go with?

3) Tuners. To fully unleash the potential of this vehicle, I'm sure I'll want the tune. At the same time my warranty comes into play. Anyone have any experience tuning the '13 V6 Auto? Any advice on what type of tune, setting or repercussions???

This is the first [new] car I am buying and I can't wait to drive this glorious machine!!

Thank all in advance!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2012   #2 (permalink)
Deadeye6 is offline Apprentice

Deadeye6's Country Flag
Falls Church   Virginia
Deadeye6 is on a distinguished road

BORLA ATAKs hands down.

Go with the Bama tunes for life and ask them for the 93 Race Hybrid tune it gives the car a lil more low end grunt. I have a Bama Tuner for sale for 200 shipped then all you have to do is purchase a $150 tunes for life from Americanmuscle.com you save about 30 bucks off buying it new just let me know In pm or text at 5713085666.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide App
Unread 10-08-2012   #3 (permalink)
slorydn1 is offline GLOBAL MODERATOR

5.0L Member
S197 Member

slorydn1's Country Flag  View slorydn1's 9 photos
New Bern   North Carolina
slorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud of
Talking

Congrats on the new car

I can't WAIT to see pics of it, because, as you know:

Since I have a manual 5.0 I am not qualified to answer your questions, though I will say I am perfectly happy with the 3.31's in my car

Don't let those certain V8 owners who will most certainly talk smack to ya get ya down, either. These new Mustangs, both 6 and 8, are awesome

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 10-08-2012   #4 (permalink)
Deadeye6 is offline Apprentice

Deadeye6's Country Flag
Falls Church   Virginia
Deadeye6 is on a distinguished road

3:31 are what the V6 needs when I had my 11 v6 I had the dopey 2:73 but even after the tune it was like a whole new car so I can only imagine the 3:31 with a tune.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide App
Unread 10-08-2012   #5 (permalink)
Tim13 is offline PONY Member

Tim13's Country Flag
Southwest   Michigan
Tim13 is on a distinguished road

Well, I can say two things about your questions. I was in the same boat, and had pretty much made up my mind that I would immediately put some mile axle backs on to get a throatier engine note. I also had long term plans to swap out the 3:31's for some 3:73's as the warranty was nearing expiration.

After having my car for this past weekend, and putting 190 miles on it....lol, I'm going to wait on the axle backs. Once you get around 3K rpm's, the engine sound really starts kicking in, and the car is plenty loud in the cockpit. I'm starting to think that for a daily driver like mine, louder exhaust may become annoying over time.

As for the gears, right now I'm happy enough with how the car handles and performs, that I'm second guessing the need for 3:73's.

Tim

Upgrades: DSS aluminum driveshaft, BMR LCA's, Yukon 3.73 gears, MGW shifter.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

Unread 10-08-2012   #6 (permalink)
Grimace427

Do automatic V6's come with 3.31 gears at all? I know the difference between base and PP but I thought only the manuals got the 3.31 gears? The 5.0 Autos are stuck with 3.15 no matter what package.

Unread 10-08-2012   #7 (permalink)
PoitNarf is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

PoitNarf's Country Flag
North   New Jersey
PoitNarf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Do automatic V6's come with 3.31 gears at all?
Yes, I ordered my auto with the 3.31 gears.

Ordered: 4/11/2011 | VIN: 5/26 | Window sticker: 6/7 | Build date: 6/13 | ETA: 1st-6/24 2nd-6/29 | Arrived at dealer: 6/24 | Took delivery: 6/27

Mods: BAMA 87P Tune, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, GT500 Diffuser, Shelby Kicker Sub, Painted Mirror Covers, Adjustable Headrests
Unread 10-08-2012   #8 (permalink)
kenv is offline SENIOR SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

kenv's Country Flag
Levittown   Pennsylvania
kenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond reputekenv has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the new ride.

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.

AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Unread 10-08-2012   #9 (permalink)
5.0 Coyote is offline GT Member

5.0 Coyote's Country Flag
San Carlos Park   Florida
5.0 Coyote is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnast52 View Post
D-Day is upon me, ("D" meaning "totally freaking awesome"), and I can't help but dream of all the fun I am going to have in this car. That being said, I have a few questions...

1) Gears. I've driven the base V6. Had a lot of fun, but I ordered mine with the PP and as you all know, it comes with the 3.31's. Can I expect a huge difference in pull, or is it only somewhat noticeable? Same question about handling...

2) Exhaust. I've done my research on exhausts but I don't feel 100% comfortable about making my selection based on sounds from a video. Are the sound clips online generally accurate? What would be a mean, yet NO DRONE WHATSOEVER, exhaust to go with?

3) Tuners. To fully unleash the potential of this vehicle, I'm sure I'll want the tune. At the same time my warranty comes into play. Anyone have any experience tuning the '13 V6 Auto? Any advice on what type of tune, setting or repercussions???

This is the first [new] car I am buying and I can't wait to drive this glorious machine!!

Thank all in advance!
Please forgive me,I am unable to understand the reason behind numbers 1,2,3,why would you change or put money into that when you could have purchased another type of Mustang, not had any warranty issues and much better performance,this isn"t a smack down or a put down,my thoughts are is you want a NICE Mustang to just drive around that is sporty you got the right car, if you want a high performance Mustang,there are (3) other Mustang models to pick from,I will never understand why people try and make something into something that it was never ment to be,just my $02.
Unread 10-08-2012   #10 (permalink)
masonicmustang is offline Made Member

masonicmustang's Country Flag
Baton Rouge   Louisiana
masonicmustang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Please forgive me,I am unable to understand the reason behind numbers 1,2,3,why would you change or put money into that when you could have purchased another type of Mustang, not had any warranty issues and much better performance,this isn"t a smack down or a put down,my thoughts are is you want a NICE Mustang to just drive around that is sporty you got the right car, if you want a high performance Mustang,there are (3) other Mustang models to pick from,I will never understand why people try and make something into something that it was never ment to be,just my $02.

So you mean to tell me that no 5.0 owner puts aftermarket exhaust on thier car, or puts a tune, or changes the gears? Is that what you are saying? Because from what I read, all the guy did was ask what he could expect from the car that he bought, and he asked a question about exhaust sound. The only thing he seems to be adding for sure is a tune, which I believe many many people do. What I will never understand is why do people respond to threads that they think are a waste of time. if you disagreed with the OP dont post simple as that.
Unread 10-08-2012   #11 (permalink)
PoitNarf is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

PoitNarf's Country Flag
North   New Jersey
PoitNarf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If he was talking about throwing a supercharger ( ProCharger High Output Intercooled Mustang Supercharger System (11-12 V6) 1FT212-SCI - Free Shipping! ) into his Mustang already I would agree with you. But no, he's talking about some very common mods that many people do to their V6's. I went with the V6 because a GT with the same options as mine would have cost me over $5000 more, and I drive a lot so the better gas mileage of the V6 was also attractive. The mods the OP mentioned shouldn't cost much more than $1000 and will offer significant performance gains over the base configuration. Some of us just want a little more pep out of our Mustangs, is that so wrong?

Ordered: 4/11/2011 | VIN: 5/26 | Window sticker: 6/7 | Build date: 6/13 | ETA: 1st-6/24 2nd-6/29 | Arrived at dealer: 6/24 | Took delivery: 6/27

Mods: BAMA 87P Tune, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, GT500 Diffuser, Shelby Kicker Sub, Painted Mirror Covers, Adjustable Headrests
Unread 10-08-2012   #12 (permalink)
apocalypto is offline PONY Member

apocalypto's Country Flag
Los Angeles   California
apocalypto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jesus, again with the silly "why don't you just get a 5.0" debate.
There are many people out there that just don't want to buy a 5.0, why is that so hard to understand for some people? I could easily buy a GT but I didn't because of many reasons which include: MPG, insurance, car payment, price, looks. I seriously think some GT owners have to make this argument to justify their purchase, because when it comes down to it, to the regular Joe Schmoe out there a GT and V6 literally look the same.
Unread 10-08-2012   #13 (permalink)
jonDwon is offline Made Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

jonDwon's Country Flag
South   Florida
jonDwon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This forum is going downhill with responses like these.

The man asked 3 simple questions about 3 simple, common modifications. Was his question "should I mod my V6 or get a GT" ? No. You really should remain on topic here man. Using your logic, why do people mod GTs? I mean cmon you could of just got a Boss 302 or a Shelby GT500!

Don't let these boneheads get to you mnast52.

Now, to answer your questions. I test drove a 2.73 V6 and a 3.31, the 3.31 feels like a different car it really wakes it up. The exhaust I have is Ford Racing Sport mufflers and the sound is superb. The price is one of the highest but you get what you pay for, quality. If you want to go a cheap route you could get a pair of Roush axlebacks but they are lesser quality. I hear a tune really wakes up the auto tranny and also gives you some power increase, but is it really worth risking your warranty? I'd say no, but that is all up to you.
Unread 10-08-2012   #14 (permalink)
stevegt2012 is offline GT Member

stevegt2012's Country Flag
Silicon Valley   California
stevegt2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypto View Post
Jesus, again with the silly "why don't you just get a 5.0" debate.
There are many people out there that just don't want to buy a 5.0, why is that so hard to understand for some people? I could easily buy a GT but I didn't because of many reasons which include: MPG, insurance, car payment, price, looks. I seriously think some GT owners have to make this argument to justify their purchase, because when it comes down to it, to the regular Joe Schmoe out there a GT and V6 literally look the same.
Agreed. I live in CA (birth place of the hot rod and custom cars) and I see a lot more V6 Mustangs than I do the V8s. It's all about personal preference and need. I bought a 5.0 MT because I wanted a fun hot rod type muscle car and owned several Mustangs in the past. But it is not my daily driver. If I still had my 70 mile commute and the horrendous traffic I used to put up with, I most likely would have got the V6 PP with auto.
2012 GT Premium, Sterling Gray, 6MT, 3:73, Brembo Pkg, RR Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg, Borla S.
Unread 10-08-2012   #15 (permalink)
J Orbit is offline Registered User

J Orbit's Country Flag
0000   Texas
J Orbit is on a distinguished road

Hey, Coyote 5.0 I think Matlock is on and it's time for your meds. After that you can have a nice nap and then get back to yelling at kids on your lawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162