Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-04-2013   #1 (permalink)
Checkmate is offline Made Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Checkmate's Country Flag  View Checkmate's 4 photos
Up Country   South Carolina
Checkmate is on a distinguished road
Default Camaro Rental Impressions

So, my mustang is in the body shop for two weeks...long story but suffice to say it's a good thing I love my wife more than my car.

Insurance entitled me to a rental, so I've been driving a 2012 Camaro V6. I travel a fair amount for my job and have been able to upgrade my rentals, having rented a 2013 Mustang V6, and 2012 Challenger V6, and a 2012 Mustang GT (performance white in Orlando...great rental!). Naturally all the rentals in the U.S. are automatics, but its nice to compare them in the real world.

This was my first time driving a fifth gen Camaro V6 (I test drove 2010 SS), and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. Seeing as how I'm using this car for my daily commute, I also get to compare it against my GT driving on the same twisty roads and with the same acceleration spots.

First off, there is no comparison with the 5.0 in terms of power and torque, as should be expected. However 323 hp is to be respected, and maybe its the gearing with the transmission, but this car gets off the line with some initiative. The motor pulls strong on the bottom but seems to run out of steam early on heavy acceleration. Even though this motor incorporates variable timing, I can't really feel it kicking in (like on ours yo!).

That said, it still "feels" faster than the mustang V6 I drove (no offense V6 bothers!). Part of it might be the climate conditions: I had the Mustang in July in Florida versus January for the Camaro. No idea what the latest V6 Camaros are posting at the strip compared to the Mustangs but it is a fun car for what it is.

Other observations...the visibility of course is poorer than the Mustang, but not as terrible as I had believed, and it could benefit from those blind spot mirror we have. The new interior still seems dated compared to the Mustang. The seats have a bit better lateral support. The sound system is comparable to the Shaker (even with the Boston Acoustics SE85 speaker upgrade in mine). It does have more of the soft touch real fake leather that I wish we had instead of hard plastic. OnStar sucks compared to Sync and of course there is no MyColor.

For what its worth, I wouldn't trade my Mustang for one, but I wouldn't mind having a Camaro along side it in my garage.

One final note...the Challenger V6 was an absolute dog! It looked good, but that was it. Noisy, slow, and utterly un-sporty...I think my 14 year old Cougar V6 would take it!

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2013   #2 (permalink)
RickAKATed10 is offline MACH I Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

RickAKATed10's Country Flag  View RickAKATed10's 90 photos  View RickAKATed10's HomePage
Highland   Indiana
RickAKATed10 is on a distinguished road

What year V6 Challenger did you drive? The ones with the new Pentastar engine aren't horrible, but they're still in 3rd place.
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-04-2013   #3 (permalink)
powerwhee is offline GT Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

powerwhee's Country Flag
LA   California
powerwhee is on a distinguished road

The camaro does feel more torquey stock for stock than the mustang. In reality though they are slower. My dad had a v6 camaro he traded in after 8 months

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 01-04-2013   #4 (permalink)
KONA11GT is offline Apprentice

KONA11GT's Country Flag
USA/Germany   Arizona
KONA11GT is on a distinguished road

I drove a 2010 v6 Camaro rental when my 08 silverado got totaled back in early 2011. I enjoyed driving the camaro. I did not really have any issues with visibility and for being a v6 it was a nice drive. I also drove a v6 charger rental for about 2 weeks. and have driven a v6 mustang. The dodge road nice but seemed a little lacking in power. The v6 mustang wasnt all that impressive. all in all though they are all good cars for what they are.
2011 5.0 GT, Kona Blue, 6 MT, 401A Package, 3.73 Gears, Brembo Brakes, JLT Oil Separators, Raxiom Tail Lights, BBK Cat Deletes, Ford Racing X-Pipe, GT500 Mufflers, J&M Lower Control Arms, GT500 Spoiler, Barton Shifter Bracket, SCT Bama Tuned
Unread 01-04-2013   #5 (permalink)

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
What year V6 Challenger did you drive? The ones with the new Pentastar engine aren't horrible, but they're still in 3rd place.
Now that I think about it, it was actually in November of 2011 that I had the Challenger rental, so now I'm not sure the MY. The Pentastars I think came out that year, but it may have been a 2010 with a 3.5L that I drove?

It was still better than a usual boring rental, I was just underwhelmed with the performance, especially since the body was at odds with the motor (it was a black mettalic paint, looked really good).

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
Unread 01-04-2013   #6 (permalink)
audioAl is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

audioAl's Country Flag  View audioAl's 13 photos
San Antonio Bay   Texas
audioAl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, I really enjoy my 3.7 DOHC pony.
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\Airaid tube\BMR rear lca;s\ Shelby razor 18x9 custom rims\275/40/18 Tiger Paws\
Unread 01-04-2013   #7 (permalink)
RickAKATed10 is offline MACH I Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

RickAKATed10's Country Flag  View RickAKATed10's 90 photos  View RickAKATed10's HomePage
Highland   Indiana
RickAKATed10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
Now that I think about it, it was actually in November of 2011 that I had the Challenger rental, so now I'm not sure the MY. The Pentastars I think came out that year, but it may have been a 2010 with a 3.5L that I drove?

It was still better than a usual boring rental, I was just underwhelmed with the performance, especially since the body was at odds with the motor (it was a black mettalic paint, looked really good).
Oh yeah. I'm sure. It definitely beats driving an Aveo or Spark...

Perhaps you remember... 3.5L had single exhaust and the 3.6L has duals.
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Unread 01-04-2013   #8 (permalink)

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
Oh yeah. I'm sure. It definitely beats driving an Aveo or Spark...

Perhaps you remember... 3.5L had single exhaust and the 3.6L has duals.
Positive it was single exhaust, so must have been the 3.5L.

Unread 01-04-2013   #9 (permalink)
tjys is offline GT Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

tjys's Country Flag  View tjys's 31 photos
Ewa Beach   Hawaii
tjys is on a distinguished road

Nice review, thanks. I think the Camaro's are nice looking cars but I've been a Ford fan since HS ... 1974. My only wish would be that the Mustang get the IRS. I cannot seem to entice the Camaro's to run me in my wife's GTS with the SHELBY across the back of the car. If only they knew the GTS was a V6!

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
Unread 01-04-2013   #10 (permalink)
slorydn1 is offline GLOBAL MODERATOR

5.0L Member
S197 Member

slorydn1's Country Flag  View slorydn1's 9 photos
New Bern   North Carolina
slorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud ofslorydn1 has much to be proud of

Pretty cool review. I never drove the Camaro, but I did sit in one once, and couldn't get past the blind spots myself. Other than that, I thought the car looked OK, and it was a pretty even race the one time I ran up against an SS right after getting my Mustang.

So, now, what exactly did your wife do to your Mustang!?!?!?!?!?

Those of us with wives want to know so we can keep them from doing the same thing

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
Unread 01-04-2013   #11 (permalink)
tjys is offline GT Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

tjys's Country Flag  View tjys's 31 photos
Ewa Beach   Hawaii
tjys is on a distinguished road

My wife deployed to Afghanistan to get the GTS. She loved my 500 ragtop but was scared of the HP (or my driving) and was interested in a convertible too. So ... when she was deployed I bought a V6 ragtop, shipped it to Shelby, and had the GTS package installed.

Since she returned she will not drive the car ... but loves to tell everyone it's hers. She's 5'1" and with the seat all the way up cannot see out of the car properly unless the top is down. I've had the stuff in the signature block installed but was dying to have a Procharger put on it. She allowed everything but the Procharger. Since it's her car all I can do is beg ... it's a tough life.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
Unread 01-07-2013   #12 (permalink)

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
So, now, what exactly did your wife do to your Mustang!?!?!?!?!?

Those of us with wives want to know so we can keep them from doing the same thing
We were going to pick up a Christmas tree on 12/15 and decided to take two cars. I was in the mustang with my older daughter and my wife were in our Mazda wagon with the baby. We have a side load garage and I pulled out first. Before I could get down the driveway...my wife backed into me trying to avoid a third car parked in our driveway! She was not looking behind her I might add, but rather looking out the side to avoid the third car.

Before I knew it I heard that most terrible "crunching" sound of buckling metal, you know, the sound of ultimate suffering!? My heart sank and I could tell right away that there was going to be paint work.

Of course, the wife's car suffered only a shattered tail lamp which I was able to replace the same day with a $170 part from Mazda. My car on the other hand had to wait two weeks for the insurance adjuster to even come and look at it (in the meantime my shop could have fixed it before Christmas).

The car is in the shop now and the driver's door and rear quarter will need to be repainted for proper blending. The dent was rather small, but the door handle got scraped up and pushed in, and the paint cracked.

The irony of the whole thing is that the reason we took two cars in the first place was to avoid strapping the tree to the roof of the wagon and potentially getting scratches! I also wouldn't have even cared if she hit the third car, its our old Cougar that I keep around for parking at the airport and it already has some battle damage!

The only good thing to come out of this is that now at least my driver's side will match the passenger side in terms of paint quality as I had that side repainted two years ago -- another wife accident in the garage (!). The shop does an excellent job and the paint is super smooth and perfectly matched.

Unread 01-07-2013   #13 (permalink)
notaV8

you'll never catch me owning a camaro, their interior is hideous and their v6 doesn't sound nearly as beefy as our 3.7s.

Good review nonetheless though. I'd take a challenger over a camaron (shrimp in spanish)

Unread 01-16-2013   #14 (permalink)

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Finally got my car back today and it was worth the wait. The paint job is perfect and can't even tell there was ever a dent...and like the other side that was painted, its better than the factory!

These guys are real professionals that take pride in the quality of their work.

Unread 01-16-2013   #15 (permalink)
laughingdragon is offline GT Member

laughingdragon's Country Flag  View laughingdragon's 13 photos
Saint Peters   Missouri
laughingdragon will become famous soon enough

My sister has a 2010 camaro, and I never could get up the interest to drive it. Just sitting in it I had to have the seat leaned way back to not hit my head, and the way the windshield is racked and the side window design, felt like I was trying to look out of a tank.

glad the car is back and better than new

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162