Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-14-2013   #1 (permalink)
Guitarman is offline Apprentice

Guitarman's Country Flag
Norwalk   California
Guitarman is on a distinguished road
Default Rear end metal to metal noise opinions

I have a 2013 GT with just over 5000 miles on it and a couple days ago I heard a noise coming from the rear end. A Smooth Scraping noise that reminds me of when your Brake Pads are worn to Metal and they scrape on the Rotors except this is a smooth metal to metal sound. My GT is Stock and I dont race or Track my Car. I'm very careful with the Cars I have owned.
Also when I go over Speed Bumps or Dips the Front End makes that creeking Sound. This should not be happening to a 40K Vehicle. I will be taking it in to Ford. Hopefully they will handle it without any Hassles.
Anyone here had the same Rear End issue?

Guitarman
3RD ETA: 10-29
Delivery taken on Monday 10-29-2012

2013 GT Premium Mustang, Auto, Race Red, Brick Red Interior, Comfort, Brembo, Pedestal Spoiler, Shaker Pro, Side Scoops
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2013   #2 (permalink)
Zapfenstreich is offline Made Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Undisclosed
Zapfenstreich is on a distinguished road

I get a squeak from the rear, but only after the car's been exposed to rain, then has sat overnight so the springs/bushings/other uncoated bits back there have had a nice long chance to get good and rusty (my theory is that it's rust, I don't know for sure).

My squeak happens when the suspension moves a lot but slowly, like when backing down a down-sloping driveway, and you go over the curb, so the rear springs "hyper extend", if that makes any sense. Then it squeaks badly until the rust (or whatever it is) gets worn away.

And I agree, it's asinine for a nice new car to have this problem. I almost traded mine last year because I was so frustrated with that problem, and another intermittent noise that seems to be unique to mine. I never had a Japanese car making crazy noises like this, that's for sure.
Unread 02-14-2013   #3 (permalink)

Guitarman's Country Flag
Norwalk   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapfenstreich View Post
I get a squeak from the rear, but only after the car's been exposed to rain, then the car's sat for overnight so the springs/bushings back there have had a chance to get rusty.

My squeak happens when the suspension extends, like when backing down a down-sloping driveway, and you go over the curb, so the rear springs "hyper extend", if that makes any sense.

And I agree, it's asinine for a nice new car to have this problem. I almost traded mine last year because I was so frustrated with the problem.
The noise in my car is not intermittent. It's driving me crazy.
I wonder if Deysha could help on this?

2013 GT Premium Mustang, Auto, Race Red, Brick Red Interior, Comfort, Brembo, Pedestal Spoiler, Shaker Pro, Side Scoops
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-14-2013   #4 (permalink)
stevegt2012 is offline GT Member

stevegt2012's Country Flag
Silicon Valley   California
stevegt2012 is on a distinguished road

I may have a similar noise around 40- 50 mph, coming from the right rear but I can only hear it with the windows up, radio off and when I turn my right ear to it. I don't hear it if I am looking straight ahead. Kind of like a constant light scrapping or dragging noise that doesn't change if I lightly apply the brakes.

Does that sound like yours?
2012 GT Premium, Sterling Gray, 6MT, 3:73, Brembo Pkg, RR Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg, Borla S.
Unread 02-14-2013   #5 (permalink)
ridenfish39 is offline PONY Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

ridenfish39's Country Flag
Philadelphia   Pennsylvania
ridenfish39 is on a distinguished road

I have always had this noise(along with clunking and gear whine), it's a lot more apparent now that I have lcas with the poly bushings. At least my mt82 works great .... knock on wood
2012 5.0 Black/saddle leather/6-speed/3.73/BBK X-pipe/GT500 mufflers/JLT catch can/SVE drifts/BMR lcas/J + M panhard bar/ Steeda panhard brace/Jegs cat deletes/Air Raid intake/BAMA tune/FRPP P springs

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
Unread 02-14-2013   #6 (permalink)
Yadkin is offline BOSS Member

Yadkin's Country Flag  View Yadkin's HomePage
Yadkin Valley   North Carolina
Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Check your rear brakes or have a pro do it for you. Sometimes a piece of crud gets between the rotor and the pad, or sometimes a piece of the pad itself has some crud on it.

The front end squeak is probably your rubber bushings, most likely where the sway bar is attached to the frame. Use silicone spray on them and work it between the rubber and metal.
Unread 02-14-2013   #7 (permalink)
Yadkin is offline BOSS Member

Yadkin's Country Flag  View Yadkin's HomePage
Yadkin Valley   North Carolina
Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
I have always had this noise(along with clunking and gear whine), it's a lot more apparent now that I have lcas with the poly bushings. At least my mt82 works great .... knock on wood
I've had Fords for many years and the rear ends tend to be a little noisy after as little as 50,000 miles. Even though the manufacturer recommends 100,000 miles or more between fluid changes in my experience they benefit from more frequent changes, like every 50k miles. A good full synthetic like Lucas or Royal Purple can quiet down a whiny diff- it did for my current car.
Unread 02-14-2013   #8 (permalink)
TORMENTOR is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

TORMENTOR's Country Flag  View TORMENTOR's 30 photos
Peotone   Illinois
TORMENTOR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
I have a 2013 GT with just over 5000 miles on it and a couple days ago I heard a noise coming from the rear end. A Smooth Scraping noise that reminds me of when your Brake Pads are worn to Metal and they scrape on the Rotors except this is a smooth metal to metal sound. My GT is Stock and I dont race or Track my Car. I'm very careful with the Cars I have owned.
Also when I go over Speed Bumps or Dips the Front End makes that creeking Sound. This should not be happening to a 40K Vehicle. I will be taking it in to Ford. Hopefully they will handle it without any Hassles.
Anyone here had the same Rear End issue?

Guitarman
Check the weather striping around your trunk. My car was making a creaking noise also when going over uneven road surfaces or rail road tracks. Dealer found that the decklid was flexing against the weather strip. All he did was lube the rubber and the noise is gone.

Just a thought

Future Mods: Window Tint, Boss 302 Side exit exhaust, MGW Shifter............?
Unread 02-14-2013   #9 (permalink)

Guitarman's Country Flag
Norwalk   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
I may have a similar noise around 40- 50 mph, coming from the right rear but I can only hear it with the windows up, radio off and when I turn my right ear to it. I don't hear it if I am looking straight ahead. Kind of like a constant light scrapping or dragging noise that doesn't change if I lightly apply the brakes.

Does that sound like yours?
Could be similar but the sound in mine sounds the same no matter what speed I'm going. Anything over 5 MPH the sound is there.
Stays the same with brakes applied.

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-14-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
Unread 02-14-2013   #10 (permalink)
bcbunn is offline Apprentice

bcbunn's Country Flag
Somewhere   Yukon
bcbunn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I too have the faint "grinding" sound coming from the rear at speed that the OP described. I didn't notice it until I installed aftermarket LCA's.
Unread 02-15-2013   #11 (permalink)
FordService is offline OFFICIAL FORD REP.

FordService's Country Flag  View FordService's HomePage
Dearborn   Michigan
FordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:
The noise in my car is not intermittent. It's driving me crazy.
I wonder if Deysha could help on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapfenstreich View Post
I get a squeak from the rear, but only after the car's been exposed to rain, then has sat overnight so the springs/bushings/other uncoated bits back there have had a nice long chance to get good and rusty (my theory is that it's rust, I don't know for sure).
My squeak happens when the suspension moves a lot but slowly, like when backing down a down-sloping driveway, and you go over the curb, so the rear springs "hyper extend", if that makes any sense. Then it squeaks badly until the rust (or whatever it is) gets worn away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
Quote:
I sure can, Guitarman! Guys, please make an appointment with your Ford dealers for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
Unread 03-18-2013   #12 (permalink)
wherermykeys is offline Apprentice

wherermykeys's Country Flag
Toronto   Ontario
wherermykeys is on a distinguished road

Did anyone ever get this resolved? I have the exact same metal on metal sound. I only noticed it the other day as my rear seats were folded down. I normally can't hear it over my Roush ABs. Exact same pitch at anything over 5mph.

I don't feel like waiting half a day at the dealership if it's "normal".
Unread 03-19-2013   #13 (permalink)
gabi is offline Rookie

gabi's Country Flag
Vancouver   British Columbia
gabi is on a distinguished road

I had to take my car in 3-4 times for the scraping noise

they did nothing the first few couple times then they machined the rotors... when that didn't work they worked some more on the rotors and brake pads... that seems to have fixed it for now but I do hear it coming back a bit
Unread 03-19-2013   #14 (permalink)

Guitarman's Country Flag
Norwalk   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherermykeys View Post
Did anyone ever get this resolved? I have the exact same metal on metal sound. I only noticed it the other day as my rear seats were folded down. I normally can't hear it over my Roush ABs. Exact same pitch at anything over 5mph.

I took mine in and they had it 4 days and did nothing. Then said they were getting a ford tech to come in to check it out in a week.
I just took my car at that point. I got tired of waiting. I will take ot to a different dealer

Unread 03-21-2013   #15 (permalink)
FordService is offline OFFICIAL FORD REP.

FordService's Country Flag  View FordService's HomePage
Dearborn   Michigan
FordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of lightFordService is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherermykeys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabi View Post
I had to take my car in 3-4 times for the scraping noise
they did nothing the first few couple times then they machined the rotors... when that didn't work they worked some more on the rotors and brake pads... that seems to have fixed it for now but I do hear it coming back a bit
Please make sure to bring this up to your dealer as soon as possible and make sure to contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673, guys. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162