Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-19-2013   #1 (permalink)
rkwolf_5.0 is offline Rookie

rkwolf_5.0's Country Flag
Charlotte   North Carolina
rkwolf_5.0 is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 GT Cold Air Intake Tune/No Tune

Hey guys/gals,

I'm a long time reader and a first time poster on this forum. This is where I've spent the two months that I waited for my '13 GT Premium w/ Track Pckg and Recaros. I've had it now for a few months and to say it's a lot of fun would be an understatement. I've attached a few pics below (hopefully i did it right and they show up).

So far the only thing I've changed is put on Borla S-type axleback exhaust. For the last month or so I've been doing some research into different CAIs and tune combinations. The only thing that is stopping me from getting both is the dreaded warranty issue. This being my first "big boy job" car out of college, I am hesitant to do something that may or may not ruin my warranty if something happens.

For a while there I thought that I found a solution that is the best of both worlds. I was thinking about getting C&L CAI (no tune required) based on review I've read and the fact that they have addressed the water/heat extractors issue for 2013 models. I was hoping to combine that with FRPP Procal tune, which is the only tune according to Ford would not void the warranty. I've read the responses from C&L staff on the forums that it is indeed a viable option. Obviously I would not get the whole effect of CAI and tune, I know that going into this.

I've talked to a few custom mustang shops in my area, and the general response was that off the shelf tunes have OK applicability if that due to inherent difference between any given car. As well as running a CAI without a tune would probably result in the engine running lean.

I apologize for such a long post, I had a lot on my mind. I guess my question is do people run CAI w/o tune with success? I would love to hear from people that do and what is their experience with it has been like. Do I have any other options that I have not explored yet? Any help/suggestions would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 GT Cold Air Intake Tune/No Tune-dsc02539_zpsc9943aec.jpg  2013 GT Cold Air Intake Tune/No Tune-dsc02530_zps2c235730.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2013   #2 (permalink)
SuperFly758 is offline Apprentice

SuperFly758's Country Flag
Grimsley   Tennessee
SuperFly758 is on a distinguished road

You can run CAIs without a tune and have some gains in HP and MPG but if you want the maximum effect from one you get a tune.
Unread 02-19-2013   #3 (permalink)
notaV8

airaid is no tune, dynos may say this and that especially AM that claims all of these freak numbers but you don't feel a thing with a CAI be it your 5.0 or a v6.

A tune won't void your warranty, only if its the tune's fault for something to go wrong, your radio goes out and your car is tuned, of course the tune didn't make the radio break so they can't void it.

Hope I was of help

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-19-2013   #4 (permalink)
Quan Cheese is online now GT Member

4.6L Member

Quan Cheese's Country Flag
Chester County   Pennsylvania
Quan Cheese is on a distinguished road

I really don't think those intakes to much of anything on the new Mustangs without a tune. On modern cars intakes already flow so well stock. Its like why replace your stock intake thats locked up in a box for one thats gonna have an exposed air filter under the hood with all that heat?
Unread 02-19-2013   #5 (permalink)
cfr865 is offline Apprentice

cfr865's Country Flag
midwest   Illinois
cfr865 is on a distinguished road

Looks only the small amount of h.p. will not be noticed, it'll sound better and that's about it.
Unread 02-19-2013   #6 (permalink)
nsadams87xx is offline Banned

nsadams87xx's Country Flag
Milwaukee   Wisconsin
nsadams87xx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
I really don't think those intakes to much of anything on the new Mustangs without a tune. On modern cars intakes already flow so well stock. Its like why replace your stock intake thats locked up in a box for one thats gonna have an exposed air filter under the hood with all that heat?

Most have heat shrouds that protect against that and snug up against the hood when closed. Mine does anyway...
Unread 02-19-2013   #7 (permalink)
FivePointOmg is offline PONY Member

FivePointOmg's Country Flag
Clearwater Beach   Florida
FivePointOmg is on a distinguished road

Anything that alters the AFR will need a tune to see any change in performance...I could even see a performance decrease by going with any CAI without a tune. Of course you will notice a increase in intake sound, but that's all you'll get without a tune...Also a lighter wallet. I went with the Steeda tune and CAI because I felt the Steeda CAI was the most well executed and a highly engineered piece that takes advantage of all aspects of a high performance CAI. Same reason goes for why I went with the Steeda tune...Because they really did their homework and I've heard they keep the stock knock sensors versus some others that turn off knock sensors to gain performance. I have to say I'm extremely happy with my Steeda setup. It's worth the $700.

(Sold) '11 GT Kona Blue...6spd manual...3.31's...Steeda CAI...Steeda Gus tune...Lethal O/R X...Corsa Sport A/B's...Enkei PF01's...etc etc
Unread 02-19-2013   #8 (permalink)
ggrigorian is offline Rookie

ggrigorian's Country Flag
North New Jersey   New Jersey
ggrigorian is on a distinguished road

i got the steeda CAI and the bama tuner...awesome results. its like night and day. and if you wana take her back to the dealer, you can just upload the original tune back into because it gets saved to your tuner. but dont go by me. call american muscle theyll have an answer and make sure you get a tuner with a CAI if you choose to get one...really makes a good difference and uses the potential that the 5 liter has. id enjoy it stock for awhile since you just got it too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 02-20-2013   #9 (permalink)
pac-man is offline PONY Member

pac-man's Country Flag
Edmonds   Washington
pac-man is on a distinguished road

Better (much better)....find a Ford Dealer who will install an aftermarket tune and CAI. My dealer installed my Steeda CAI and 91 octane tune and assured me it would not void my warranty.
2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows & Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Front & Rear Brake Upgrade * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance & Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Reference Front Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap.
Unread 02-20-2013   #10 (permalink)
AMDanBailer is offline Site Sponsor

AMDanBailer's Country Flag  View AMDanBailer's HomePage
Malvern   Pennsylvania
AMDanBailer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwolf_5.0 View Post
Hey guys/gals,

I'm a long time reader and a first time poster on this forum. This is where I've spent the two months that I waited for my '13 GT Premium w/ Track Pckg and Recaros. I've had it now for a few months and to say it's a lot of fun would be an understatement. I've attached a few pics below (hopefully i did it right and they show up).

So far the only thing I've changed is put on Borla S-type axleback exhaust. For the last month or so I've been doing some research into different CAIs and tune combinations. The only thing that is stopping me from getting both is the dreaded warranty issue. This being my first "big boy job" car out of college, I am hesitant to do something that may or may not ruin my warranty if something happens.

For a while there I thought that I found a solution that is the best of both worlds. I was thinking about getting C&L CAI (no tune required) based on review I've read and the fact that they have addressed the water/heat extractors issue for 2013 models. I was hoping to combine that with FRPP Procal tune, which is the only tune according to Ford would not void the warranty. I've read the responses from C&L staff on the forums that it is indeed a viable option. Obviously I would not get the whole effect of CAI and tune, I know that going into this.

I've talked to a few custom mustang shops in my area, and the general response was that off the shelf tunes have OK applicability if that due to inherent difference between any given car. As well as running a CAI without a tune would probably result in the engine running lean.

I apologize for such a long post, I had a lot on my mind. I guess my question is do people run CAI w/o tune with success? I would love to hear from people that do and what is their experience with it has been like. Do I have any other options that I have not explored yet? Any help/suggestions would be welcome.
Welcome to AFM and Congratulations on the awesome pick up. I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying your 13' GT, I know I would be! It's hard to believe you've been able to fight off the "Modification Bug" for a few months now, that's some good self control lol. Most guys have a CAI and Tune on the car before they even get home!

To answer your question, you can run a "No tune Required" CAI on your Coyote. However, you won't see big performance gains with just the intake. When a CAI is paired together with a Bama tune or any tune, that's when you really see the big performance gains! Here's a video we put together for questions just like this, check it out:

Like listed above, if a Ford dealer is going to void your Warranty, they need proof that the modification you added is what caused the Damage. Example .. If you break a suspension part that's covered under warranty, they can't say it was because of the tune.

I would recommend just giving a few local Ford dealerships a call and feel out their Service Manager. Some guys understand that they shouldn't void your warranty because of a tune!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Unread 02-21-2013   #11 (permalink)
rkwolf_5.0 is offline Rookie

rkwolf_5.0's Country Flag
Charlotte   North Carolina
rkwolf_5.0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Better (much better)....find a Ford Dealer who will install an aftermarket tune and CAI. My dealer installed my Steeda CAI and 91 octane tune and assured me it would not void my warranty.

Yeah, that would be ideal scenario. Unfortunately when I brought up the idea of a tune on my car to one of the service reps at the my dealership (the one I bought the car from), he right away said it's gonna void my warranty for applicable components. He said he's never even heard about FRPP tune Procal, which is pretty weird since it is actually endorsed by Ford. The guy said they wouldn't want to be liable for any tune.

There is a local custom mustang shop in my area, they said they would be able to do a custom tune specifically for my car when and if I get a CAI. Has anybody had experience with custom tune over BAMA, Steeda or any other?

I was pretty excited about modding my car, and this whole warranty issue is really bumming me out. Thanks for all your guys feedback, I do appreciate it.
Unread 02-21-2013   #12 (permalink)
tj@steeda is online now PONY Member

tj@steeda's Country Flag
Detroit   Michigan
tj@steeda is on a distinguished road

Just to make it clear. Just because you put a part on your vehicle it DOES NOT void your warranty. For a product to affect the warranty, there must be an investigation done by the party refuting the warranty to prove that the aftermarket product indeed caused the OEM component part to fail. Just because you put a CAI on your car it does not does not automatically void the warranty. The CAI would have the be the direct cause that caused the part to fail. Also, you have to remember when installing aftermarket parts you are responsible to care and drive the car in a non malicious way - because no warranty covers "abuse".

The Steeda CAI and tune is very safe and powerful - the perfect combination of power and reliability without any need for concern about engine damage. Plus it is made under strict ISO 9001:2008 conditions - unlike ANY OTHER aftermarket CAI -- your guarantee of quality..

Best Regards,

TJ
Unread 02-21-2013   #13 (permalink)
warp 7 is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member
S197 Member

warp 7's Country Flag  View warp 7's 9 photos
Springville   California
warp 7 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2013 GT W/trac aps, I took it to Shelby American's speed shop in Vegas and asked them what I could do for upgrades without having warranty issues. I was told that headders were out as you cannot beat the flow in the stok headders. The boss intake will result in only a few HP gain, in my opinion not enough bang for the buck. An intace can lend enable a good tuner to set paramiters for the fuel you use and the way you drive. I use 100 octane pump gas, have a custom tune (diablo trenity) and borla cat back 422rwhp. My only problem is I drive the car too much, I find the long way home whenever I can, weekend trips and cruizes are a given. I would not waste my money on more parts untill I see the proof the warranty isue is not worth a couple of HP.
Unread 02-22-2013   #14 (permalink)
pac-man is offline PONY Member

pac-man's Country Flag
Edmonds   Washington
pac-man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, that would be ideal scenario. Unfortunately when I brought up the idea of a tune on my car to one of the service reps at the my dealership (the one I bought the car from), he right away said it's gonna void my warranty for applicable components. He said he's never even heard about FRPP tune Procal, which is pretty weird since it is actually endorsed by Ford. The guy said they wouldn't want to be liable for any tune.
Call you're dealer again. Call the other Ford dealers in your area. Ask them if they have a mechanic who specializes in installing performance options (mufflers, shocks, tune, etc). If they give you a name, talk to him. You'll never get anywhere talking to a Ford rep who doesn't know what FRPP is, lol. Good luck!

pac
2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows & Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Front & Rear Brake Upgrade * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance & Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Reference Front Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap.
Unread 02-22-2013   #15 (permalink)
Radioguy is offline GT Member

Radioguy's Country Flag  View Radioguy's 14 photos
Saint Louis   Missouri
Radioguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

There is a local custom mustang shop in my area, they said they would be able to do a custom tune specifically for my car when and if I get a CAI. Has anybody had experience with custom tune over BAMA, Steeda or any other?

I was pretty excited about modding my car, and this whole warranty issue is really bumming me out. Thanks for all your guys feedback, I do appreciate it.
This FORD TSB is worth a full read, including the "flow chart." Then make up your own mind about what you want to do with/to your car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tsb11-07-07[1].pdf (1.66 MB, 187 views)
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162