Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-21-2013   #1 (permalink)
fdesalvo is offline Apprentice

fdesalvo's Country Flag
Irvine   California
fdesalvo is on a distinguished road
Default A review of the 2014 GT/Track Pack

I took delivery of this black 2014 with 7 miles on the clock about a week ago and have spent some fairly significant time with it. I wanted to leave this information here for the people that follow behind me whom are contemplating this purchase at some point. Iíll try my best to keep emotion and romance out of what follows, but I canít guarantee that I will succeed. This may be rather lengthy, as I will break this review down by dividing this car into sections. My car is optioned as GT Prem with Comfort, Electronics, and TP with leather Recaros @ 100 miles.

My first experience with this particular revision occurred last year in the form of a 2013 California Special (CS) GT Auto that I rented for an 800 mile roundtrip hike to and from Las Vegas. The car left me with the impression that the suspension was far too soft to be taken seriously for my taste. Stabbing the brakes or punching the throttle produced massive pitching and squatting. I had no confidence in this car around corners and tight traffic; the car felt as though it was riding on marshmallows. Still, I knew there was potential.

The quality of fit and finish was vastly improved over previous iterations; gone were the squeaks, creaks, and rattles. The Shaker 500 was actually decent and the selection of interior materials wasnít bad at all. This solidified my resolve to have this car in manual trim, so I began the hunt for further reviews and options for the build. All of my internet research led me to believe that the Track Pack (TP) was a non negotiable and even having opted for it, Iíd have to invest another couple grand into aftermarket suspension pieces such as UCA, LCAs, PB, shocks/Struts, Springs, and HD strut mounts. This was my expectation, and having no TP to actually test locally, I was prepared to make the leap of faith.

Letís start at the front end. The fit of the bumper, hood, and fenders is near perfect. The Brembo wheels are nicer in person than in pictures, so Iím no longer motivated to change them. The HID lamps are just as nice as those on my S2000 and provide me with great visibility, both laterally and out front. The cutoff is very clean. Iíd like to raise them a few degrees, however. The LED whiskers and integrated fogs look very cutting edge and really pull the entire front end together, producing a menacing appearance.

Moving to the middle of the car, Iím quite pleased with the way Ford designed the rearview mirrors, which is usually an eyesore on these cars. Still, I wish Ford would progress into the 21st century by giving us folding mirrors. I also love the door handles on this car. They are subtly designed and are cleanly integrated into the doors. The doors also close with a solid ďthunkĒ. The windows lower about a quarter of an inch as you open them, rising fully after closing the door. This is likely a feature to accommodate the convertible models.

The rear quarter and trunk seamlessly flow from the doors; this car looks great from every angle. And by great, I mean muscular and aggressive Ė but not at the expense of style and good taste. The rear tails are just gorgeous; thereís *just enough* tech to stay cutting edge without going Autozone . The sequential turn signals make you want to use them, something that people here in CA could benefit from. I find myself giving people about 700 yards of advanced notice to let them know that I might be turning at some point. One last thing about the trunk - the interior is cavernous, but could be a little nicer. Ford still doesn't care about the trunk carpeting. Please take a cue from Honda and attach it to a rigid and form fitting backing material.

The lower fascia is gorgeous. It would appear as though Ford learned that the less plastic, the better. I could do without the large license plate enclosure, but itís not bad Ė and the exhaust is just about right. The tips are nice rolled pieces that could stand to be increased in diameter to about 3.5Ē Ė 4.0Ē. Iíd rather not see all that muffler. Iíd prefer it painted black, with just the tips chromed; just the tip...to see how it feels.

The interior is really nice. The Recaros are perfect and are very easy to adjust. I hope they hold up, though. Iím concerned that the lower bolsters will start creasing prematurely. I canít validate this, but Iím keeping a watchful eye out. Keep people with bedazzled jeans out! Pack a towel in your trunk in the event your girl wants to wear her Hundson jeans with those ridiculously large buttons on the rear. They will only tear and stretch your leather.

The shifter falls to my hand and Iím one of the lucky people whose elbow doesnít always engage the center console door release. The shifter feels over insulated, but engages gears well; you wonít be getting any sort of feedback as to what the motor and tranny are up to through this one. I havenít had any problems, but then again, Iím not power shifting this thing [ever]. I do plan on using the Steeda bracket with black bushing, but Iím in no rush. Iíd also like to install the Boss Shift knob and boot, as I tend to like cue ball shifters. The stock piece is good enough for now. The best advice I can give is to learn how to shift this thing slowly before trying to row this thing like a fool. Once you get a feel for the way the gate is set up, you will begin to shift instinctively.

The gauges are gorgeous and highly legible. I keep the halos off, as they cast reflections onto the windshield. Many people think that the display between the gauges is crooked, but it isnít. Itís an optical illusion created by the dashboard cover; both halves of the dashboard angle up towards the center. The gauges and whatís between them are perfectly level. The discrepancy between them creates this illusion. If you keep the ďMiles to EmptyĒ screen off, you wonít even notice the horse galloping downhill.

The steering wheel is leather wrapped and feels nice enough, but oddly hollow or light weight. I wish it had a textured surface, though, as itís quite powdery in feel. The remote control buttons are very easy to access and manipulate. Iím not a fan of where the spokes are placed, but again, it works and Iím getting used to it. The feel of it in ďSportĒ mode is very nice, albeit a bit light for my taste Ė a possible reason for the hollow feel. Still, itís really nice.

The spacing and relative heights of the accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals is just about perfect for me. Having a shorter throw clutch pedal would be nice. Itís almost deceiving; the clutch pedal has consistent weight throughout its entire range and there is neither groan nor sigh when actuating it. The brake pedal is firm and feels great Ė nice initial bite without being grabby. The accelerator is very dynamic, but I reckon we can attribute this to the beastly motor.

Letís get into the neety greety. The first drive home with it was quite the experience. Turning the ignition to ďonĒ elicited a smooth starter engagement [take notes, GM] and healthy rumble from the exhaust on cold startup. Forget what I said about leaving emotions out of this review, because by this point I was absolutely giddy! Heads were turning, glances cast, and the primal and indescribable substance of pure manhood burbled forth like lava from the mighty depth of Vesuvius herself! Every man, woman, and child within earshot experienced spontaneous chest hair growth.

I had to use a 2 point maneuver to back out of my parking space. Sweet mercy, Ford, why did you locate reverse beside first gear? Iím used to it now, but in a tight space, you WILL have your foot perched upon the brake pedal just in case.

I eased out of the dealership and onto the surface street. I actually stalled it. The same faces which beamed with delight and masculine satisfaction now contorted into grimaces. Chests deflated and hands were thrown into the air, some flapping over gaping mouths shod in utter disbelief. After understanding how the clutch and gas play together on this car, I managed to make my exit with finesse.

The imperfections in the straight road gave way to taught suspension movements and mild blips of the throttle yielded the sweet and musical harmony of induction growl, engine noise, and exhaust tone. My pulse increased and my hands started sweating. Is this love?

I made my way to the freeway onramp, greeted by a nice sweeping right-hander. Leaning into the throttle, the car surged forward and pressed me into the seat. First gear was gone in a flash and the longer legs of second and third gear along with the smooth roar of the motor and exhaust had me laughing out loud in sheer amazement, as all of the suspension pieces that I had planned on replacing worked in unison, keeping the car glued to the pavement and with minimal body roll. I rifled into the flow of traffic from the merging lane torque drunk in sheer and utter disbelief. This cannot be a FORD. This cannot be a MUSTANG. This car feels weightless when accelerating. It actually drives much smaller than it really is thanks to the seating position, brakes, suspension, and amount of available power.

A week later, Iím still not convinced that this GT is even remotely related to the rental I drove. I still donít believe that this is a Ford product. Hey! I just noticed the radio! You will not care about the radio when you are driving this car. Oh - as others have noted, you will believe your car is on fire for the first thousand miles or so as things break in. Do not be alarmed. When I come inside after driving with the windows down, people ask me if I escaped a burning building. Me, I love it. Itís that same effect that gets me when I leave a BBQ. You smell that? Thatís man, baby.

I noticed that the tranny and gears tend to whine a bit, but itís nothing like my S2000. I donít mind it. You will also hear little clunks as you depress and engage the clutch. This also appears to be normal and is a result of the individualís driving style and the two piece drive shaft. Again, you probably wonít care.

All in all, this carís amazing and I have no regrets. At some point in time, Iíll probably start tweaking the suspension and exhaust, but honestly this car is satisfying right out of the box. If you are considering one, then press ahead.

Black 2014 GT Prem/Track Pack | 6MT | Recaros | Electronics & Comfort Packages | Whiteline: PB + Brace + LCAs + UCA

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2013   #2 (permalink)
Sean Reilly is offline SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Mustang II Member
2.3L Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sean Reilly's Country Flag
Stamford   Connecticut
Sean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeSean Reilly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the new (And Last Of The SN-10 Era) Stang!!..........It will only get better every time you turn that key!!..............Sean
2013 Mustang GT Premium RED CANDY TRI-COAT (RZ) MT-82, Premium Trim, (Black-Cashmere),TRACK-PACK,, Electronics-Navigation, Comfort, Rev. Sensing / Rear Camera. Only Mods.>> 2014 DUAL-PATH GAUGE CLUSTER, FORD RACING (2014 GT TRACK-KEY Tune Loaded, Set To "N" 93 Octane),, JLT Oil Separator+BORLA Cat/Back-W/H-Pipe, With S-Type Axle Backs and BOSS Laguna Seca 26MM Rear Anti-Sway Bar.

AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-21-2013   #3 (permalink)
blkandgud is offline PONY Member

blkandgud's Country Flag
Woodbridge   Virginia
blkandgud is on a distinguished road

Great review. You should write professionally.
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
Unread 02-21-2013   #4 (permalink)
Guitarman is offline Apprentice

Guitarman's Country Flag  View Guitarman's 3 photos
Norwalk   California
Guitarman is on a distinguished road

So, Do you like the GT or not? Pretty obvious.
I could not have said it better than you just did.
I took delivery of my 2013 GT in Octoder 2012 and I just can't get enough of it. Already have almost 6K miles on it. I'm only 4 miles from work. I've done some Asthetic mods to it and I will add Lemans Stipes nextweek. But the best Mod I've done and I recommend to you is the GT500 Axlebacks. It is so great.
Congratulations on your New Pony!

Guitarman
3RD ETA: 10-29
Delivery taken on Monday 10-29-2012

2013 GT Premium Mustang, Auto, Race Red, Brick Red Interior, Comfort, Brembo, Pedestal Spoiler, Shaker Pro, Side Scoops
Unread 02-21-2013   #5 (permalink)

fdesalvo's Country Flag
Irvine   California

Thanks guys! I keep hearing that the ECU will wake the motor up after a few hundred miles. My suspension mods may come sooner if it gets any crazier haha. It's just about right for the power as it sits. It's fast enough to make your passengers shut up when you get on it.

Black 2014 GT Prem/Track Pack | 6MT | Recaros | Electronics & Comfort Packages | Whiteline: PB + Brace + LCAs + UCA

Unread 02-21-2013   #6 (permalink)
Malern28us is offline Apprentice

Malern28us's Country Flag
Huntington   Indiana
Malern28us is on a distinguished road

If you like the sound of the stock car, you serioously have to listen once the GT500 axle backs get on a Mustang. Its got a little louder and slightly deeper tone. My wife spent the afternoon just shaking her head because I kept leaving it in gear longer to hear the exhaust. Just my opinion...
Unread 02-21-2013   #7 (permalink)

fdesalvo's Country Flag
Irvine   California

I finally "get it" - this Mustang thing. Finally. I also have been loving the downshift and slow climb in gears to enjoy the exhaust note and the rumble in the floorpan. I've been liking the sound clips of the GT500 and FRP mufflers, too. How invasive are they on the interior while driving? And another thing - how good does that stock airbox/resonator sound?? Come on! It's an eargasm!

Guitarman - as you already know, I'm enjoying being able to haul my gear to and fro - I can fit my acoustic, electric, pedalboard, and head in the trunk. I'm in heaven, I tell ya. Heaven! I've also embraced my southerness (sp? You bet!). I found some great classic rock and country stations here in Los Angeles/OC and am no longer denying my roots. If I wouldn't have a hairline like Christopher Walken, I'd consider growing my hair long and slicking it back. Hell, I might wear my boots tomorrow and find some **** to kick.

Unread 02-21-2013   #8 (permalink)

Norwalk   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdesalvo View Post
I finally "get it" - this Mustang thing. Finally. I also have been loving the downshift and slow climb in gears to enjoy the exhaust note and the rumble in the floorpan. I've been liking the sound clips of the GT500 and FRP mufflers, too. How invasive are they on the interior while driving? And another thing - how good does that stock airbox/resonator sound?? Come on! It's an eargasm!
I installed my GT500 Axlebacks a few days ago. In the cabin while cruzing at any constant speed they are as quiet as stock. But step on it and it sounds much more muscular to me.
I would say that with the stock set up I could hear my engine more than the stock mufflers (Which sounded good) But now it is the opposite. GT500's over the engine. It's fantastic and not offensive. Absolutely zero drone.

2013 GT Premium Mustang, Auto, Race Red, Brick Red Interior, Comfort, Brembo, Pedestal Spoiler, Shaker Pro, Side Scoops
Unread 02-21-2013   #9 (permalink)

blkandgud's Country Flag
Woodbridge   Virginia

What did you drive prior to this Mustang?
Unread 02-21-2013   #10 (permalink)
mrsandman is offline PONY Member

mrsandman's Country Flag
Saint Louis   Missouri
mrsandman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Guitarman - as you already know, I'm enjoying being able to haul my gear to and fro - I can fit my acoustic, electric, pedalboard, and head in the trunk. I'm in heaven, I tell ya. Heaven! I've also embraced my southerness (sp? You bet!). I found some great classic rock and country stations here in Los Angeles/OC and am no longer denying my roots. If I wouldn't have a hairline like Christopher Walken, I'd consider growing my hair long and slicking it back. Hell, I might wear my boots tomorrow and find some **** to kick.
With the 500's, there is no "invasive"... just more of what you expect to hear. There is no drone at all.

What you are hearing now with the windows up is mostly motor (which also sounds great). With the 500's, you will get a mix of exhaust and motor.. like you would expect from this car.

With the windows down.. you get to really hear this cars personality with the 500's. It just fits.. and gives you more "feel" when driving.

With the stock mufflers, I actually had trouble knowing what the car was doing.. always had to look at the RPM gauge. Now, I dont have to look down.. I can hear and feel what the engine is doing.. which is how it should be.
Unread 02-21-2013   #11 (permalink)

Norwalk   California

Quote:

Yes, It is great. I even have the shaker Pro which adds the huge sub-woofer. Takes up a good portion of the trunk. I put the seats down and was still able to put five Electric Guitars in there (in rectangle cases). (I build Guitars)

Unread 02-21-2013   #12 (permalink)

fdesalvo's Country Flag
Irvine   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkandgud View Post
What did you drive prior to this Mustang?
Last car was 2007 S2000. Priors included a couple high HP MR2s.

Unread 02-21-2013   #13 (permalink)

fdesalvo's Country Flag
Irvine   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
Yes, It is great. I even have the shaker Pro which adds the huge sub-woofer. Takes up a good portion of the trunk. I put the seats down and was still able to put five Electric Guitars in there (in rectangle cases). (I build Guitars)
Sweet! I design and build my own tube amps!

Unread 02-21-2013   #14 (permalink)

blkandgud's Country Flag
Woodbridge   Virginia

Yes the stock exhaust doesn't do the car justice. Ironically, the stock exhausts still sounds better than most of the current v8's in its class.
Unread 02-21-2013   #15 (permalink)

Norwalk   California

Quote:
Sweet! I design and build my own tube amps!
What would you say you "Model" your Amps after?

Marshall? Fender? What kind of Tubes.
I have a 1981 Fender Concert II 60 Watt Tube Amp. Sounds great. But sometimes I feel like I need a little more low end.
It has 2 - 10's in it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162