Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ Mustang Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ Mustang Talk Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 06-24-2014   #1 (permalink)
RocketGuy3 is offline Rookie

RocketGuy3's Country Flag
Austin   Texas
RocketGuy3 is on a distinguished road
Default Considering a 2014 or 2015 Mustang GT, looking for some advice

Hi guys, what's up? First time user here, hope you guys are friendly...! I'm sure I'm going to be asking some generic questions here that I may be able to find some answers to with a search, but I'm under a ton of time pressure right now as a result of moving, starting a busy new job at a startup, and now my previous car got totaled by a witless @$$hat on FM 620 in Austin to top it all off. Thankfully since he had insurance, and since he's at fault, my company is willing to give me a fairly generous payout.

She's gone:

I loved her to death, but hopefully this is an opportunity to find something wholly new that I love even more.

Anyways, with the introductions out of the way, one of the cars I'm closely considering is a 2014 Mustang GT. I love the look of the current gen Mustang, and with the new one around the corner, I figure I can get one on the cheap and very quickly

... On the other hand, I like what I know about the 2015, too, but I'm skeptical of first-year-models of any car, plus, I will have to find a way to hold off on buying a car for a couple months in order to pull it off.

Any advice, guys? Also, more specific questions: Is the current gen Mustang still in production, or would I struggle to find one configured the way I want? Any idea how much I can expect a current gen to depreciate a year from now with the new generation coming out soon? Is there any firm information on when the 2015 models will be released?

Thanks a ton in advance.

P.S. For the record, other cars I'm considering are mostly in the luxury sedan realm. I'm interested in a 3.6-L ATS, but I'm not real impressed with the styling. Considering waiting for the ATS-V. I love the Stang, but the only thing it has going against it is that I want a Corvette Stingray within a year or two, and if I have a Mustang already, there is a lot of overlap there. Both are RWD sports cars that don't offer a whole lot of comfort, luxury, or a usable backseat (if any at all). So if you have any input there, I'd appreciate that, too. My timeline for making this decision isn't ideal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2014   #2 (permalink)
matthewr87 is online now GT Member

matthewr87's Country Flag
London   Ontario
matthewr87 is on a distinguished road

I made the mistake of buying a first year model once, and I'm never doing that again. This is why I would advise against the 2015. Let someone else be the beta tester.

As far as Mustang vs the luxury sedans you listed, I think it all depends on what you will be using the car for.

I use my Mustang for transporting myself and my fiance. Rarely, I have a third adult person in the car, but its not a comfortable situation. My fiance is small, but with even an average sized person in the front there isn't a lot of leg room in the back. The back seat is only really an option for kids or small adults (if the person in the front is also small).

I would not even consider having four people in the car because there is virtually no leg room behind my seat and I cannot move my seat forward.

Also, I think a C7 is only a two seater. So that is something to consider if you are cross shopping those. I wouldn't even have them in the same class though.

As far as luxury and comfort goes, I think a fully loaded Mustang is quite nice.

You cannot custom order a 2014 any longer. You would have to find one on the lot. All cars depreciate (unless they are limited edition 1 out of 50 etc); that shouldn't really be a factor in my mind.
Present: 2012 Mustang GT - California Special Package - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket (red bushing) - Durashield paint protection - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 06-24-2014   #3 (permalink)
RocketGuy3 is offline Rookie

RocketGuy3's Country Flag
Austin   Texas
RocketGuy3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
I made the mistake of buying a first year model once, and I'm never doing that again. This is why I would advise against the 2015. Let someone else be the beta tester.

As far as Mustang vs the luxury sedans you listed, I think it all depends on what you will be using the car for.

I use my Mustang for transporting myself and my fiance. Rarely, I have a third adult person in the car, but its not a comfortable situation. My fiance is small, but with even an average sized person in the front there isn't a lot of leg room in the back. The back seat is only really an option for kids or small adults (if the person in the front is also small).

I would not even consider having four people in the car because there is virtually no leg room behind my seat and I cannot move my seat forward.

Also, I think a C7 is only a two seater. So that is something to consider if you are cross shopping those. I wouldn't even have them in the same class though.

As far as luxury and comfort goes, I think a fully loaded Mustang is quite nice.

You cannot custom order a 2014 any longer. You would have to find one on the lot. All cars depreciate (unless they are limited edition 1 out of 50 etc); that shouldn't really be a factor in my mind.
Thanks for the tips.

I agree with your assessment of the seating in the Mustang. That's basically what I had in mind. I can sit two people fine, and three in a pinch, but never four (unless the 4th maybe is a baby in a baby seat) since no one could fit behind me.

Maybe I mis-worded something about the C7. I wasn't saying I was cross-shopping the C7, I meant that I was planning on buying a C7 (regardless of what I buy now) in a year or two, and using it as a weekend fun/track car while the Mustang would be relegated to only daily driver duties at that time. I was saying having a Mustang as a DD and a C7 as a weekend car is a little redundant, which is the main thing working against the Mustang.

And I understand all cars depreciate. It actually normally wouldn't be all that big of a factor since I'm not someone who usually plans to buy a car new and sell it three years later... but depreciation matters for insurance. I am pretty grateful that my Lexus held it's value very well when it got totaled.
Unread 06-24-2014   #4 (permalink)
yada is offline Rookie

yada's Country Flag
East Dallas, TX   Texas
yada is on a distinguished road

if youre interested in a corvette how do you feel about a c6 z06? personally i dont like the looks of the 15 mustang. i dont care how much faster it is or the interior is a possible upgrade i wouldnt even cnosider it myself.
Unread 06-24-2014   #5 (permalink)
Zwilliby is offline Rookie

Zwilliby's Country Flag
Omaha   Nebraska
Zwilliby is on a distinguished road

I would never be the guinea (sp?) pig on a first year model. Let the people who feel like they need to be special have that honor. Get the 14'.

Also, many people including myself think the 2015 mustang looks like a Fusion coupe. And if you read around, you will find it is actually going to gain 200-300 pounds. This is important because most people thought it would be getting lighter, not heavier...and weight is the enemy.

Yes, the new stang has IRS, but from my own personal experience and the many reviews from motor trend and car and driver, Ford has the live axle dialed in.

If you want something that is well sorted out already, with a lower chance of defects and problems, and also like the retro body style of the 14', get it. Thats exactly what I did. I hate the look of the 2015, and it likely won't get any faster. Although it may have more hp, the weight will offset any performance gains.

Thats all just my .02
2014 Mustang GT Premium/ Build Date: 05-17-2013/ 6-speed manual, 3.31's / Deep Impact Blue / 400A, Brembo Brake Package, Comfort Package, RR Sensing Sys/Security Package / Borla S-type Cat-back with X-pipe/ Modern Billet aluminum shift knob/ 20% tint
Unread 06-24-2014   #6 (permalink)
V6 Cannonballer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

V6 Cannonballer's Country Flag
Desert Southwest
V6 Cannonballer is on a distinguished road

I'm one of those who bought a first year redesign and am still in it 4 years and 59,000 miles later. Except for a battery and a GEM, the car has been and still is fantastic! My wife, on the other hand, bought a model that has been around for a few years, and it has been one problem right after another. The way I see it, it's just a matter of whether the risk is worth it to you. I'd do it again, no doubt. So I say go for the 15. Just an opinion.
2011 3.7L, MT-82, JHR shift bracket, BBK TB, Lone Wolf ported intakes, JLT CAI, custom cat-back exhaust w side exits, MPT tune, Scott Drake '05-09 GT strut tower brace, Steeda LCA's, 2012 GT/CS 19x8.5" take-off wheels w Falken Azenis 255/40-19 100y's, H&R 20mm hub-centric spacers, Steeda Ultra-Lite lowering springs, BBR 3" cowl hood with custom heat extraction, Roush GT fascia, Roush rear wing, Cervinis side skirts, Cervinis Eleanor rear valance, AM rear blackout panel, shorty antenna
Unread 06-24-2014   #7 (permalink)
87Aerostar5MT is offline Rookie

87Aerostar5MT's Country Flag
Indianapolis   Indiana
87Aerostar5MT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
I'm one of those who bought a first year redesign and am still in it 4 years and 59,000 miles later.
2011 was a mid-cycle refresh, not a redesign.

OP, there are plenty of "2014 or 2015?" threads around here. You're likely to save $8K or so getting a '14 now but your post doesn't suggest that that's a big deal to you. If you're worried about waiting (probably until this fall) for a new car, you can always buy something cheap, ragged and mechanically robust off CL. Think $4K Chevy Malibu or something, you might even get your money back out of it when you resell.

The 2015 GT won't be any faster than the current one. Same engine, heavier car. Direct injection is coming for the Coyote but not this year.

De gustibus non es disputandum.
Unread 06-24-2014   #8 (permalink)
matthewr87 is online now GT Member

matthewr87's Country Flag
London   Ontario
matthewr87 is on a distinguished road

If you are going to have a C7 as your fun car then I'd suggest something more practical as a DD. Maybe another Lexus? The Mustang won't seem all that fun anyway once you drive the Vette
Present: 2012 Mustang GT - California Special Package - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket (red bushing) - Durashield paint protection - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Unread 06-25-2014   #9 (permalink)
Elite_Deforce is offline GT Member

Elite_Deforce's Country Flag
North Vancouver   British Columbia
Elite_Deforce is on a distinguished road

The new ISes have been sweeping up the comparos. Something to consider if you loved your XE20 so much.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Unread 06-25-2014   #10 (permalink)
Kristen77 is offline PONY Member

Kristen77's Country Flag
SE PA   Pennsylvania
Kristen77 is on a distinguished road

Back in 02 I bought my 300M. Loved the beans out of that car until it came time to look for something new. I drove that car for many years and I got used to the size and the comfort. It's a huge change to switch from a larger sedan to a mustang. That's really the only thing I miss. The mustang (in comparison) has pretty much no back seat. I feel bad for whoever gets crammed back there. The lack of trunk space (also in comparison) stinks. My mother complains the mustang isn't as comfortable as the M, and I tell her they are two completely different cars and mustangs aren't meant for comfort.

When I was out shopping it was pretty much going to be a 300C or the mustang. I more or less went w/ the mustang because I didn't want to be in my 40's then considering a sports car. I think after the mustang, it will be another sedan.
Unread 06-25-2014   #11 (permalink)
V6 Cannonballer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

V6 Cannonballer's Country Flag
Desert Southwest
V6 Cannonballer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Aerostar5MT View Post

OP, there are plenty of "2014 or 2015?" threads around here. You're likely to save $8K or so getting a '14 now but your post doesn't suggest that that's a big deal to you. If you're worried about waiting (probably until this fall) for a new car, you can always buy something cheap, ragged and mechanically robust off CL. Think $4K Chevy Malibu or something, you might even get your money back out of it when you resell.

The 2015 GT won't be any faster than the current one. Same engine, heavier car. Direct injection is coming for the Coyote but not this year.

Well then, forget everything I said.
2011 3.7L, MT-82, JHR shift bracket, BBK TB, Lone Wolf ported intakes, JLT CAI, custom cat-back exhaust w side exits, MPT tune, Scott Drake '05-09 GT strut tower brace, Steeda LCA's, 2012 GT/CS 19x8.5" take-off wheels w Falken Azenis 255/40-19 100y's, H&R 20mm hub-centric spacers, Steeda Ultra-Lite lowering springs, BBR 3" cowl hood with custom heat extraction, Roush GT fascia, Roush rear wing, Cervinis side skirts, Cervinis Eleanor rear valance, AM rear blackout panel, shorty antenna
Unread 06-26-2014   #12 (permalink)
blkandgud is online now PONY Member

blkandgud's Country Flag
Woodbridge   Virginia
blkandgud is on a distinguished road

Tough call. Both are nice cars...but if I were you, I'd get a 2014 in a few months when they'll be super discounted to make way for the 2015.

I have a feeling the 2015 and the 2017 will be two totally different cars (new Transmission, engine choices,, power increases...)...so it's best to wait.
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
Unread 06-26-2014   #13 (permalink)
FirstFord94 is offline PONY Member

FirstFord94's Country Flag
Philly   Pennsylvania
FirstFord94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGuy3 View Post
For the record, other cars I'm considering are mostly in the luxury sedan realm. I'm interested in a 3.6-L ATS, but I'm not real impressed with the styling. Considering waiting for the ATS-V. I love the Stang, but the only thing it has going against it is that I want a Corvette Stingray within a year or two, and if I have a Mustang already, there is a lot of overlap there. Both are RWD sports cars that don't offer a whole lot of comfort, luxury, or a usable backseat (if any at all). So if you have any input there, I'd appreciate that, too. My timeline for making this decision isn't ideal.
This is the part that got my attention. If you are looking at luxury cars and previously owned a luxury car, a '14 mustang will be VERY different. I don't care what anyone on here says, the '14 mustang is a very crude driving implement compared with anything that could even remotely be considered luxury. You don't think about this when you're looking at words or numbers, but when you're driving it every day, you start to realize that the great price you got your '14 for was not worth what you have to give up.

I also completely disagree about your statement about the C7. It is a completely different animal than an s197 (current mustang chassis). It offers better stock performance and will also be more luxurious than a s197 mustang. It won't ride like your lexus of course. but it will ride much better than the mustang. Given the choice, 10 times out of 10 I would take the C7 over my '12 mustang GT.

If you are looking at luxury cars and a C7, you likely aren't scraping together to buy a new mustang. Frankly, if you just HAVE to own a mustang, wait for the '15 car because the suspension should be a bit more comfortable than the current car and it should still offer excellent performance. I didn't already have a '12 mustang, there's no doubt that I'd wait for a '15+ Mustang despite vastly preferring the styling of my '12 mustang.

The issue becomes the amount of time you're willing to wait. You could order a '15 mustang right now, but you will have a wait a while for it. And what if you don't like it when it arrives? If you have like 6 months to wait, then the '15 mustang is probably worth waiting for. If you need a car in the next month or two, you're better off with another car, IMO.
Unread 06-26-2014   #14 (permalink)
Charlotte Stang is offline Apprentice

Charlotte Stang's Country Flag
Charlotte   North Carolina
Charlotte Stang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilliby View Post
And if you read around, you will find it is actually going to gain 200-300 pounds. This is important because most people thought it would be getting lighter, not heavier...and weight is the enemy.
Um, might want to read the latest info and doublecheck that.
Unread 06-26-2014   #15 (permalink)
Neighsayer11 is online now PONY Member

Neighsayer11's Country Flag  View Neighsayer11's 1 classified ad
Collegeville   Pennsylvania
Neighsayer11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Aerostar5MT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
Well then, forget everything I said.
Well you are both correct, the same chassis was used but we got new engines in both the V6 and V8 flavors as well as numerous drivetrain upgrades.

With those upgrades a significant number of folks had issues due to the new components (valve ticking in the V6, cylinders dying in the V8, traction control issues on both cars etc. etc.).

But, aside from the v6 and v8's carrying over in the 15, there are a lot of changes.

To the OP I would say if you like the 15 go for it, but do understand there will be kinks that show up in a new first year car, you have a 3 year bumper to bumper so whatever comes up should be covered by that. But don't expect it to be perfect from day one.

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162