Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustang covers

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mattr12 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I live in San Diego and there is a lot of dust in the air and my car will not be in a covered parking. I'm thinking about getting a cover for my 2011 Mustang. I've never bought a cover before, is there anything I should be aware of? Dos and dont's? Is it more of a pain than anything to put and remove the cover?

#2 ·
When my '06 Mustang went into storage for the New England winter, I always covered it with a California Car Cover. During the summer, I used the California Duster to keep the dust of it between washings and touch ups. That paint still looked new when I sold her.

I tried the cover at work, but it took so long to carefully uncover the car, that it got a coating of sand dust from the cars exiting the parking lot. My thanks to the California Car Duster!

#3 ·
I ordered a CoverKing through Costco for about $150. Comes with the cable and lock. Haven't got to test it since my car isnt' here yet. I'm thinking of moving to a new place in the future just so I can have a garage. Every week they mow lawns here and fling grass into all the cars :what:

#5 ·
you can never get away from the grass, Seems all the jerks around mow their yards into the streets and leave clippings there and poof all over the cars when ya drive by. It stinks but hey when fall comes around i have an suv im driving through those leaves lol

#4 ·
I got my custom car cover from Brenspeed , its awesome, fits perfect, looks great $ 118.00 delivered to your door :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

G
#7 ·
Putting the cover on and off requires about 2 days of practice - it's really super easy once you get the hang of it... My husband does a great job with the Mustangs' covers now, he practiced like I did... it's fun to see how small you can roll it up... Ok, ok - yeah, I need a life... :gringreen

You will not regret having a cover - either you love it or hate it... I absolutely love mine... I stopped by my brothers and he hadn't seen the Mustang in a good long time... it made me feel good when he said the car still looked brand new:yup: - it's an '07, and it's my daily driver at this point. The only time I don't put it on is if rain is predicted, nothing like being showered & dressed for work - and having to take off a soaking wet cover...:nogrinner

Here are some other threads from a forum search to get you started:

Car cover threads

#9 ·
when my car finally gets here I'll be keeping it in my garage but seems like when I leave my pickup in there for several days it ends up with a lot of dust on it I looked on the suggested thread but they seemed to be about long-term storage outside does anyone know of a cover that is very good for indoor use especially to keep out dust?:confused:
P.S. I love this site and would like to do business with one of the sponsors!

#10 ·
Biggest tip I can tell you is NOT to get a cover from automotive stores like AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, .etc. Those cover are universal fit and even if the box lists it'll work with your car...it won't. Learned this the hard way and spent a good bit of the next day removing scuff marks on my paint that was left behind by the cheap car cover. I actually ended up getting an Ultra'tect cover from CoverCraft for my car. It cost me about $250 but was a better option than the local shop making me one ($300 for the cover plus $300 for the labor) and it fit best for what I want...which really is a cover that can protect from dust off the highway, and rain when the downpours get heavy. The Mustang is parked under a home-made carport, however when the wind whips up during a storm and the rain starts falling very diagonally instead of vertically, the Mustang would get wet, hence why I got the car cover. After the downpour that was had yesterday afternoon, I checked out the car to see how the cover did and in the spots where I checked the car was completely dry underneath. The water on the cover beaded on top then rolled away, unlike my cover for my '06 that absorbed the water into its 2nd layer. The cover wasn't really even wet...just had lots of water beads sitting on top when I just blew them away before they had a chance to settle in. I included a chart below from a website on the various covers out there so you can decide which one might work best for you. Don't worry about the prices, if you look hard enough you can find them way lower than what's listed on the chart.

#11 ·
wow this is good information thank you so much! My main concern is dust, sand, and salt from the ocean. It won't really rain in San Diego county for the next 9 months, and if it does, it will be a 2 hour drizzle mixed with dust, and that's ugly. Great info from this website, thank you so much. Also, I didn't think about making a carport, that's a good idea. I'm gonna have to think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.