Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ V6 Mustang Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ V6 Mustang Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 06-02-2011   #1 (permalink)
farmerbob1111 is offline Apprentice

farmerbob1111's Country Flag
Dallas   Texas
farmerbob1111 is on a distinguished road
Talking 2011 Mustang Automatic Headlamps

As many of you know it is very simple to get the Auto headlight feature in a vehicle that did not come with it stock. You must simply change out the switch. It was mentioned that the only drawback being that you would not be able to adjust the delay, since it isnt built into the messege center like vehilces that came factory equipped. Follow the steps below and you should be able to set the delay timer for any amount of time up to 3 minutes.

NOTE: The time delay can be programmed through the message center using the message center buttons (if equipped) or using the following steps.

NOTE: Steps 2 through 5 must be carried out within a 10-second period.

1. Start with the ignition switch off and the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position.

2. Place the headlamp switch in the OFF position.

3. Place the ignition switch in the RUN position.

4. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.

5. Place the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position. The exterior lamps turn on at this point.

6. Wait the desired amount of time and place the headlamp switch in the OFF position (maximum of 3 minutes). The exterior lamps turn off and the autolamp time delay is now set.

Worked like a charm for me. Took all of five minutes to swap switches and program it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2011   #2 (permalink)
happydad is offline Made Member

happydad's Country Flag
Pembroke Pines   Florida
happydad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbob1111 View Post
As many of you know it is very simple to get the Auto headlight feature in a vehicle that did not come with it stock. You must simply change out the switch. It was mentioned that the only drawback being that you would not be able to adjust the delay, since it isnt built into the messege center like vehilces that came factory equipped. Follow the steps below and you should be able to set the delay timer for any amount of time up to 3 minutes.

NOTE: The time delay can be programmed through the message center using the message center buttons (if equipped) or using the following steps.

1. Start with the ignition switch off and the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position.

5. Place the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position. The exterior lamps turn on at this point.

6. Wait the desired amount of time and place the headlamp switch in the OFF position (maximum of 3 minutes). The exterior lamps turn off and the autolamp time delay is now set.

Worked like a charm for me. Took all of five minutes to swap switches and program it.
Thanks for that!! My switch should be arriving today.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 06-02-2011   #3 (permalink)
Beast3.7

Does this show up as a menu option then? Or do you just set the time by your watch?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 06-02-2011   #4 (permalink)
Hoosier Daddy is offline GT Member

Hoosier Daddy's Country Flag
Winchestertonfieldville   Arizona
Hoosier Daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

FWIW, YMMV on this. I was aware of the manual adjustment method and tried it several times when I put my switch in. It did NOT work on my car. So there are apparently differences between cars. I'm guessing some part changed at some point that either allowed the manual method to work or stopped it from working for cars that did not come with the option.

Mine is a November 2011 build Performance Package car.
Unread 06-02-2011   #5 (permalink)

Dallas   Texas
Thumbs up Hmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
FWIW, YMMV on this. I was aware of the manual adjustment method and tried it several times when I put my switch in. It did NOT work on my car. So there are apparently differences between cars. I'm guessing some part changed at some point that either allowed the manual method to work or stopped it from working for cars that did not come with the option.

Mine is a November 2011 build Performance Package car.

Well I understand your concern. I just went out and double checked the system to make sure it was functioning as I had specified and it still has the 9 Second delay i had programed it for. If I could make a suggestion. In order to make sure that you are performing the steps properly do so when it is still daytime. I say this because the Auto feature will not illuminate the headlights during the day. That being said, on step #5 when you switch back over to "Auto" you will know whether it is going to work as to whether or not the headlamps illuminate and your gauges dim. If you do this during the night then the headlamps are going to illuminate anyways. I shot a video of the 9 second delay and i can post it later tonight if need be. Hope it will work for you. I would be SHOCKED if my 100A (Most base model) mustang can do it and your performance package mustang can't.
Unread 06-02-2011   #6 (permalink)
mittermiller is offline Apprentice

mittermiller's Country Flag
Lexington   Kentucky
mittermiller is on a distinguished road

does the base mustang have the light sensor on the dash to recognize when its dark enough to turn the lights on?

or is the autolamps feature where it leaves ur headlights on for a few seconds after u get out and close the door?

Last edited by mittermiller; 06-02-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: derp
Unread 06-02-2011   #7 (permalink)

Dallas   Texas
Default rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittermiller View Post
does the base mustang have the light sensor on the dash to recognize when its dark enough to turn the lights on?

or is the autolamps feature where it leaves ur headlights on for a few seconds after u get out and close the door?

The base mustang does have the sensor built in to the center of the dash (at least mine does) so it means that when it gets dark the headlamps illuminate (when it gets brighter out they shut off) and when you turn the car off they automatically turn off (after the delay).
Unread 06-02-2011   #8 (permalink)
KrisHeinold is offline Made Member

KrisHeinold's Country Flag
Nashville   Tennessee
KrisHeinold is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I ordered a new switch last night and I'm waiting for it to get here. How did you replace the switch? I've heard of people taking the whole headlight assembly out and I've heard of people pullin just the switch out.
Unread 06-02-2011   #9 (permalink)

Dallas   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHeinold View Post
I ordered a new switch last night and I'm waiting for it to get here. How did you replace the switch? I've heard of people taking the whole headlight assembly out and I've heard of people pullin just the switch out.
In order to replace the switch I had to remove two 7mm bolts holding the plastic panel located under the steering column. Then I had to remove one more 7mm bolt holding the rectangle panel that fits around the switch itself. After that I pinched the three spots on the original switch and it popped out. I disconnected the old one from the available wire connector and reinstalled the new one. That simple.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Mustang Automatic Headlamps-img_9617-1-.jpg  
Unread 06-02-2011   #10 (permalink)

Dallas   Texas
Default How long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
Does this show up as a menu option then? Or do you just set the time by your watch?
You don't get any indication from the car as to how long it has been. You would have to time it with a watch as you said. As soon as you flip it back to the off position the time is set there.
Unread 06-02-2011   #11 (permalink)
KrisHeinold is offline Made Member

KrisHeinold's Country Flag
Nashville   Tennessee
KrisHeinold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In order to replace the switch I had to remove two 7mm bolts holding the plastic panel located under the steering column. Then I had to remove one more 7mm bolt holding the rectangle panel that fits around the switch itself. After that I pinched the three spots on the original switch and it popped out. I disconnected the old one from the available wire connector and reinstalled the new one. That simple.
Awesome! Great post can't wait to get mine. I leave my lights on all the time now
Unread 06-02-2011   #12 (permalink)

Dallas   Texas

Below link should take you to video i promised earlier. About 9 sec delay or so. Seems perfect to me.

Unread 06-02-2011   #13 (permalink)
rooster62 is offline Apprentice

rooster62's Country Flag
Fort Worth   Texas
rooster62 is on a distinguished road

How much does the switch cost?
Unread 06-02-2011   #14 (permalink)
happydad is offline Made Member

happydad's Country Flag
Pembroke Pines   Florida
happydad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster62 View Post
How much does the switch cost?
$27.00 including shipping from Rockauto.com

Part # SW6659

Just installed. Works great!!!!!
Unread 06-02-2011   #15 (permalink)
rooster62 is offline Apprentice

rooster62's Country Flag
Fort Worth   Texas
rooster62 is on a distinguished road

Very cool! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162