Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 2005+ Mustang > 2011+ V6 Mustang Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

2011+ V6 Mustang Tech Forum

2011+ Talk | 2011+ GT | 2011+ V6 | 2005-2010 Talk | 2005-2010 GT | 2005-2010 V6 | Shelby GT500 | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-28-2013   #1 (permalink)
notaV8

Default Oh god the videos were misleading, lethal o/r x pipe BIG MISTAKE

I got the lethal performance off road x pipe installed today by a muffler shop(couldn't get my jack under the car since I lowered it :/) and sure it sounds like a v8, it sounds EXTREMELY LOUD, I just wanna hide in my car and drive with the windows up.

I also have the roush axlebacks and oh my god it is just TOO much, I never thought a car would be loud enough for me but this takes the price.

What are my options here, can I get resonators installed, will that do anything?

Should I install my stock exhausts back again and sell the roushs?

or should I call it quits and pay once more to get my stock x pipe installed :/

ugh this was a huge mistake I didn't think it was gonna be that loud!

The muffler guy was like man it sounds loud but a bad loud, im disappointed lol whatta dick

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2013   #2 (permalink)
FiK
FiK is offline Made Member

FiK's Country Flag
Goldsboro   North Carolina
FiK is on a distinguished road

Put your stock mufflers back on is always an option.
2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-28-2013   #3 (permalink)
NightFire is offline Apprentice

NightFire's Country Flag
Toronto   Ontario
NightFire is on a distinguished road

Upload a Video Clip? :smilie
Just so we know... what you are dealing with...
You know... for science!
Unread 01-28-2013   #4 (permalink)
Ltngdrvr is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Ltngdrvr's Country Flag
Southeast   Texas
Ltngdrvr is on a distinguished road

It sure doesn't sound like a V8, not possible.

But there have been lots of threads about how removing the cats makes the car super loud, don't know how you could miss that. Think about guys who are running catless and long tubes, now that is loud.

Its relatively easy and not too terribly expensive to add some resonators to the new off-road pipe, get something like the M80 mufflers from Pypes. Or get some high flow cats installed on the pipes.
Unread 01-28-2013   #5 (permalink)
notaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiK View Post
Put your stock mufflers back on is always an option.
Will that quiet it some like for sure? What will bring it down the most? Resonators? I don't wanna hurt horse gains though :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFire View Post
Upload a Video Clip? :smilie
Just so we know... what you are dealing with...
You know... for science!
Well videos do zero justice but I will upload a video tomorrow I suppose, I was going to record it today but I kept losing my phone so I'll just do it with my DSLR tomorrow.

Unread 01-28-2013   #6 (permalink)
notaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
It sure doesn't sound like a V8, not possible.

But there have been lots of threads about how removing the cats makes the car super loud, don't know how you could miss that. Think about guys who are running catless and long tubes, now that is loud.

Its relatively easy and not too terribly expensive to add some resonators to the new off-road pipe, get something like the M80 mufflers from Pypes. Or get some high flow cats installed on the pipes.
well it sounds 10 times if not more deeper than it did before, no I never saw those just people saying that only adding the roush axlebacks was too much for them and they were all whiny when the roushs aren't even loud by themselves.

I can't find any m80 mufflers for the 2013 v6? just 04 and older, wanna link me?

What would that accomplish though? If i get that installed, would I have to remove my roushs I'm guessing?

Would sticking some resonators to it all quiet it down

Unread 01-28-2013   #7 (permalink)
Ltngdrvr is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Ltngdrvr's Country Flag
Southeast   Texas
Ltngdrvr is on a distinguished road

You just buy the universal fit M80's in the 2.5" pipe size, they won't be listed for your car.

Try Summit racing or Jegs.
Unread 01-28-2013   #8 (permalink)
notaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
You just buy the universal fit M80's in the 2.5" pipe size, they won't be listed for your car.

Try Summit racing or Jegs.
These ?

Would I need one or two? I feel so stupid about all of this, I tried to do research and I watch TONS of videos and they all souded loud but nothing remotely close to this ugh if I have to buy that then it pretty much adds up to a catted x pipe plus install all over again

would putting the stock axlebacks on make a difference?

Unread 01-28-2013   #9 (permalink)
Unclenard is offline Banned

Unclenard's Country Flag  View Unclenard's 5 photos  View Unclenard's HomePage
Unclenard is on a distinguished road

I think we should do a comparison. I installed my BBK long tubes with catless X-pipe with my existing Borla ATAKs. I knew I was going to have to get resonators installed but haven't had time yet. So if you think yours is loud let me know where and when we can meet up for a minute. I'm usually in the Bayside bridge area around 5:30pm going home.
You can keep the Roush just have resonators added. What exhaust shop did you go to?
Unread 01-28-2013   #10 (permalink)
notaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenard View Post
I think we should do a comparison. I installed my BBK long tubes with catless X-pipe with my existing Borla ATAKs. I knew I was going to have to get resonators installed but haven't had time yet. So if you think yours is loud let me know where and when we can meet up for a minute. I'm usually in the Bayside bridge area around 5:30pm going home.
You can keep the Roush just have resonators added. What exhaust shop did you go to?
oh wow you're in clearwater! that's badass, oh god yours sounds like it's gonna make me go deaf, ill PM you my number and we can meet up tomorrow if you want. I called a ton of places R&L muffler wanted $60 but it was first come first serve and it was packed, meneike or whatever wanted almost $200 lol, ford speed racing wanted $100, so I called rainbow muffler and they did it for $60 in an hour, guy told me ill have a permanent check engine light and I told him the car was gonna be tuned once I got it home so he said ok lol

Unread 01-28-2013   #11 (permalink)
trustyrusty436 is offline Apprentice

trustyrusty436's Country Flag
nashville   Tennessee
trustyrusty436 is on a distinguished road

Put the stock axle backs on or get some resonators installed, I'd go for the resonators myself. I have Roush axle backs and really like them.
You could try the stock pipes for right now to get over the shock.
Me I'd put some resonators on, maybe go find a tunnel and rap it up really good then it will sound quieter! Better yet make a video in the tunnel!:laughlitt
Unread 01-28-2013   #12 (permalink)
notaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyrusty436 View Post
Put the stock axle backs on or get some resonators installed, I'd go for the resonators myself. I have Roush axle backs and really like them.
You could try the stock pipes for right now to get over the shock.
Me I'd put some resonators on, maybe go find a tunnel and rap it up really good then it will sound quieter! Better yet make a video in the tunnel!:laughlitt
haha oh god even when driving in neighborhood roads the sound is just so much, it's not bad by any means but it's just loooooooud.

Apparently the sound will come down some with some build up or whatever so I'll give it a week, if not first I'll try my stock mufflers since that's the free option, next I'll do the resonators if it's still too much.

Unread 01-28-2013   #13 (permalink)
Joenpb is offline MACH I Member

Joenpb's Country Flag  View Joenpb's 7 photos
San Diego   California
Joenpb is on a distinguished road

Putting the stock mufflers on will pretty much negate the gains your x-pipe provide. Might as well take it off & sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
So, the aftermarket X and H pipes are a little bigger and come either catless or with high flow cats so they flow better and make a little more power, that and a hole in your wallet are what you get out of them.
Different thread, same answer.
Unread 01-28-2013   #14 (permalink)
notaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
Putting the stock mufflers on will pretty much negate the gains your x-pipe provide. Might as well take them off & sell em.

Different thread, same answer.
Yeah I wouldn't want to take them off, you're right. Will resonators negate the gains?

Unread 01-28-2013   #15 (permalink)
Joenpb is offline MACH I Member

Joenpb's Country Flag  View Joenpb's 7 photos
San Diego   California
Joenpb is on a distinguished road

I don't think so, resonators mask resonances/vibrations and will hopefully help, but don't expect a miracle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162