Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoboost to 5.0 engine swap

34K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  JBert 
#1 ·
I currently have an ecoboost, but obviously want a v8, so I have been looking around and wondered how one would go about putting a bigger engine in it.

I have considered a 5.0 coyote engine from either the current or previous gen. The I got to looking around and found a specialty place in my state that builds custom engines, and they're decently priced as well as having some serious performance.

My bottom question being, other than the cost of the crate engine, what else do I need for the swap, and how much should it all cost, including labor?

#2 ·
Oh wow. At this point it's probably going to be cheaper to sell the ecoboost car and buy a GT

#3 ·
Yup!

Pete

#5 ·
Clutch, different gearing in the transmission, front suspension, ECU, exhaust, engine mounts, bigger radiator. And all the little stiff associated with all that. Plus probably even more that I am not even aware of.

Reactions: MustangLife
#6 ·
Swaps like this were no problem with 60's & 70's and some 80's cars.

The computers, other electronics, and wiring of modern cars are the biggest headaches. You would need a donor GT to swap everything over, and even then there will likely be problems you will need expert help for.

Trading your EB in for a GT would cost A LOT less.

Doug

Reactions: SpeedRacerXT
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.