Ford Mustang Forum banner

My opinion, and some things I wish I would have done different

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  preacherman 
#1 ·
First, understand this my opinion. I bought a 16 GT premium last month on a whim and wish I would have researched a little before I did. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but here are a few things I've found out. I was kicking myself for buying an auto trans at first. (I've always driven manuals) My buddy loved the car so much he bought one a couple weeks later but with the performance package and his is a base model. For the difference in money, I should've went base. I personally don't think the leather and few other options are worth the money. His trans doesn't feel right and he's been complaining about it. Since I've been a member I've found out the M82 has problems so I'm glad I went auto now. Mine is faster and has 315's compared to his 373's. Go figure? We've driven each others cars and for a daily driver I can't see where the performance package is worth the money either. I'm sure it shines for a track car but everyday driving I cant tell a difference. Neither can he. I do think his brakes feel a little better. If I had it to do over again, I would've went base model with the black accent package and saved the 4 grand for other upgrades. The auto trans I would keep too. Food for thought for someone thinking about a new one. Drive both and research options before dropping the cash. The cloth interior is nice too and just as comfortable. Cheers.

#6 ·
With the 3.73 manual what gear are you in when you reach 60 mph and is there many more rpms to go or do you have to shift right away? Did y'all race from a roll or a dead stop? What rear gear does the stock GT manual come with?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

#9 ·
Yep all is true on the auto vs manual debate. But I bought my '15 gt perf pack not because I wanted a "track" car or because I thought it would be so much faster etc. the main reasons I bought mine was simply, I wanted what was on the package, the black rims, with the summer tires ( summer tires are year round in SE Texas ), 3.73 gears, and the manual transmission. This way I wouldn't have to have the 3.73 gears installed and void the factory warranty, spend $1500 on new wheels and tires, I looked at the other parts, the brakes, the suspension etc as a bonus! So my gt is exactly what I wanted, But mines not a daily driver, it's my weekend car. Oh and the brakes are probably the the best part of the package, imo, and I never would have thought that before getting the car!

#12 ·
The gearing with the auto and 3.15's comes out to almost the same as the gearing with the manual with 3.73's. The auto transmissions have aggressive gearing hence the reason for the 3.15's. Especially 1st gear with a 4.17 ratio.

#13 ·
My last mustang was a manual. I added the 373 gears and a few other performance mods. My car would hit 60 in second gear and about 90 in third. If I had it to over again I would have went with a 355 just because I believe that car would have been more driveable.( my 2cnts) My new car is auto with the 315 and the more I drive it the better it seems to perform. Of course it only has 1600 miles on it but I really enjoy the automatic with the paddle shift. Only down side is the wife can drive it.:smile: I did not buy the performance package but I do have the leather seats which I love. I have the GT premium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.