Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pypes Pipe Bomb

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Kooks Muffler Delete

Votes: 0 0.0%

Best Axle Back Under 600$

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  463634 
#1 ·
what is the best axle back exhaust under 600$ for a 15 GT thinking of going with the flowmaster outlaws

#3 ·
Interesting ill have to look into that one haven't seen it yet

#4 ·
MBRP! But as jacknifetoswan stated its not axle back, it's a full cat back! I have the MBRP Race series cat back on my '15 gt, I get complimented all the time on the sound of the exhaust. Mine is the black race series and I got very lucky, I found mine on eBay as an open box deal, paid $579 for the best sounding cat back exhaust, imo, and I shopped for a month, listening to every video of every make exhaust and to me the MBRP sounds like a true muscle car rumble. And I installed it by myself in about an hour.

#5 ·
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I listened to a ton of videos, myself, and while I'm not quite ready to start modding my 2016, the MBRP seems like a fantastic value, and the sounds it makes are awesome! I don't have a lift, but even so, I'm 100% certain I can install this, by myself, with just jack stands.

JR

#6 ·
I used ramps, I bought at Walmart for $40, backed the car on them, had plenty of room. One thing I did do was I used my sawsall and cut the mufflers off just after the rear axle hangers, then just slipped them off. And the pipe and resonator just un clamped and dropped it down. I used wood blocks when putting up the new exhaust, just to hold in place. But you get the drift, really was simple, oh and I didn't care cutting the mufflers off because I have no plans on putting that stock exhaust back on.

#18 ·
That all depends on the seriousness.

The drone on my race series is there, at about 60 in 6th gear, but goes away at 65+ . Now with that stated, you do have a nice rumble in 6th at 65mph and up. Basically I don't shift into 6th until 60, then I get to 65-70 and cruise, I'm in SE Texas and our highway speed limits are 65-70. But all this said, my GT is my weekend car, it only has 3000mi on it and I've had it since August. My daughters 2014 v6 has the Pypes Axle backs, her car was way more drone than mine, my car doesn't bother me at all, but I like the sound of my car, so I'm biased!
I have to agree with almost everything. I have MBRP on mine in an H configuration (not sure if you have the same setup). It sounds awesome everywhere on the RPM scale except between 1900 - 2000. It's that small gap in there that makes a droning sound. Now the droning sound is only really noticeable on high gears (6th) and once you get over that RPM range or under, the sound is rumbly and deep.

Now I have to admit that I owned 2 mustangs and I installed MBRP on both of them so I could be a bit biased but I love the sound.

#8 ·
The drone on my race series is there, at about 60 in 6th gear, but goes away at 65+ . Now with that stated, you do have a nice rumble in 6th at 65mph and up. Basically I don't shift into 6th until 60, then I get to 65-70 and cruise, I'm in SE Texas and our highway speed limits are 65-70. But all this said, my GT is my weekend car, it only has 3000mi on it and I've had it since August. My daughters 2014 v6 has the Pypes Axle backs, her car was way more drone than mine, my car doesn't bother me at all, but I like the sound of my car, so I'm biased!

#10 ·
Nice thread. There's a guy in my area selling some Pypes axel back for $100 on craigslist. I vowed not to make any big mods to my mustang until I've payed it off in full, but $100 seems like a pretty good deal. You've clearly noticed an improvement in sound, but anything with performance? I have a 2012 V6, 6 speed with no mods... yet

#11 ·
I've heard the pypes pipe bomb I'm going to have to hear the mbrp sounds like a good deal for a catback!

#12 ·
Oh yeah mbrp is what I'm going with probably go with the race? Not sure on the difference between it and the street and Aluminized and stainless

#14 ·
The race version will be louder, and more raw sounding that the street version. CJ Pony Parts has videos of both versions up on its site.

As for aluminized vs. stainless, it's the material that the exhaust is made of. The aluminized steel is standard steel that's coated with an aluminum-silicon alloy, which reduces the risk of rusting, gives it a shiny appearance, and provides temperature resistance. The stainless, however, is a different alloy altogether, that provides far superior resistance to rust and temperatures, and stays shiny. IMHO, the stainless is well worth the extra money.

JR

#15 ·
mbrp

received and installed the mbrp street aluminized street cat back . heres my 2cents . looks good and fit and finished was good also .on start up , idle and regular driving its a nice deep tone and a bit louder than stock .when you hit hard its pretty loud . actually louder than i was expecting . glad i didnt get the race version .ps i sprayed it black at our shop with a high heat ceramic paint .

Attachments

#16 ·
I'm loving the Stainless Steel Steeda 3" Axleback for $599. I will be putting this one on my car with an X-Pipe. Nice deep tone with no drone inside the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.