Ford Mustang Forum banner

SCT X4 questions

6K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Hoosier Daddy 
#1 ·
Just picked up an SCT X4 tuner for my 2015 GT.
A little (a lot) disappointing that there is not the same adjustability in the engine options section as there is for the 2014 and older cars.
Only adjustability is for intake box (2 choices only), headers (1 choice only), speed limit, and rev limits.
Am I missing something or is SCT just not able to allow for gear ratio, tire size etc. yet? Tried calling them but was on hold forever and now closed for the holidays.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't know but I can't believe those others are gone. Any chance they are just moved to a different screen and not where you found them in the past?

#3 ·
Just got off the phone with SCT. I guess the features aren't activated with my 2015 Mustang GT processor strategy yet. No engineers available til after new years to add the gear ratio and tire size features. I will report back after I call them in the new year and talk with them again.

#4 ·
I'm curious to know too...

#6 ·
Just curious as to why you wouldn't go thru Steeda or American Muscle etc to get your SCT tuner? They sell for same price plus they have custom tunes just for your setup. And they have phenomenal customer service.

#7 ·
SCT reply: Sorry, none of the features are available for the 2015 and up GT yet. Engineers are working on it. (For 1 year)No timeline for adding any usable features or the ability to write tunes for these cars by tuner shops.I guess the 1.5yr old Mustang GT is still too new and the customer base too small for them to be concerned.Too bad I wasted $399 on this.

#8 ·
You will need to buy a custom tune to really get what you want out of the X4 and the calibration. Most of us vendors sell them for $399 and that includes a custom tune for essentially FREE. If you purchase through SCT then you just get their pre-loaded tunes which are decent but that is it, so you pay the same price for a little less out of them. Just consider it a learning experience and continue learning about the aftermarket world. A custom tune will make all the difference and we have a custom tune for your setup! Mustang Performance Parts & Upgrades by Brenspeed

#12 ·
From what I understand, they will know that you flashed the pcm, so it doesn't matter if you change it back to stock. If the tune causes a problem, or you have issues with your engine after tuning, then your warranty on your drive train will be voided. That is unless you can prove that the tune had no part in causing the problem. Good luck with that.
If the tune had nothing to do with the problem, like suspension, or interior or other non-engine problem, the warranty on those will still be in effect. Unless, of course, you have modded those as well.
Then you have parts that can be installed by dealers like Ford Racing or Roush where they replace the original warranty with their own. I'd personally really like a new Pro-Cal tune from Ford Racing to come out.
At least this is what I have been led to believe.

#18 ·
Are they a used car salesmen or a tuner salesmen for used cars or is that the same thing possibly? haha See below.

They can tell how many times a pcm has been flashed. So if your pcm has been flashed 2 more times than your dealer has recorded, they'll know you've probably tuned it and removed it.
This is what I was thinking. It may not leave a signature or trace that it was tuned, but it will show that it has been tampered with as in number or flashes or etc. like you said.

@OracleHCR , Couldn't say an auto shop that is not a dealer, but a chain auto shop flash the car with the high tech scanners they have these days? I know a friend of mines scan tool can do almost everything, but drive the car. haha I think he can flash the car. I will have to ask him later, but if they can flash the car this would make it harder for dealer to prove that it was tuned and not just flashed at another time during service away from the dealer. At least I would think. Right? (Not arguing with you like the OP, but rather asking to learn.

Just a disclaimer I have never messed with handheld tuners before, but always come close to buying one, but I am a warranty person and can't seem to break one. haha I don't know what my excuse is for not buying one yet for my 06GT.

#15 ·
They can tell how many times a pcm has been flashed. So if your pcm has been flashed 2 more times than your dealer has recorded, they'll know you've probably tuned it and removed it.

#19 ·
Yes I have first hand experience. When I traded in my 2011 I didn't say a word about having tuned it and returned it to stock. They called me a few days later after the deal was done and wanted to know what else I had done to it since they could see it had been tuned at one time.

Look at it this way, you can erase everything from a hard drive computer but someone could still go in and see everything.

#20 ·
Don't know how the Ford ECU's keep their info, but when it came to my GTO it always kept the date and time of the last update. So basically if there was no record in the system you had been updated and your flash date was recent, they knew. But that was my '05, I'm sure things have changed since then.

-mnblah

#22 ·
The Magnuson-Moss warranty act of 1975 states that a dealer must prove the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. However, if the reason for a parts failure is unclear, a dealer will usually charge you to diagnose the vehicle.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) validates rights to install after market parts. In a consumer alert issued by the FTC the agency confirmed that "The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void warranty simply because you used aftermarket parts.

#23 ·
But its also illegal to rob someone yet it still happens.

And what some people don't know is what the word prove means. Its not beyond any reasonable doubt but rather the preponderance of the evidence.

So if a car maker says a failure was due to stress from a tune, there is no way for either party to prove what a tune did, particularly if the ECU has been flashed multiple times. It really comes down to what the jury, judge, arbitrator, etc feels is most likely. It would be very hard to convince them the reason for the tune was to improve reliability and since its well known that tunes are to increase power and hence increase loads on parts, I think it would be difficult for a car owner to win such a case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.