Ford Mustang Forum banner

Need Help Wiring an MSD 6AL-2

26K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  need4spd90 
#1 ·
I just recently bought an MSD 6AL-2, and I'm currently plotting out my wiring diagram. I found a pretty useful diagram and install instructions on MSD's website. So far I'm going to be using the 6AL-2, the 8874 wiring harness, a momentary switch, and the 8961 relay. The only thing I don't know how to do is wire the 30 terminal from the relay to the neutral safety switch on neutral safety lever.

I'm wiring it this way so that when the clutch is in and I press the momentary switch, the 2 step will be activated until I let off the clutch.

If anyone has a diagram of the neutral safety switch wiring it would be very helpful.

Thanks

#3 ·
So according to this I'd wire it to the 32 R/LB wire? I'm not the greatest at reading electrical diagrams.

I don't know exactly where that wire is located.

#6 ·
So it would be one of the wires going into the clear connector I assume?

#7 ·
It would be the black connector to the right of the clear connector.

Open the attachment and then click on the attachment it will enlarger the picture, that you you can see the red wire with the light blue stripe.

#8 ·
Right so I just splice into that with something like a scotch lock and then run from there to a 12 volt power source correct?

Here are the other diagrams from MSD.

Attachments

#9 ·
The blue wire would go to the 87 terminal which would be jumped to the 85 terminal, which would run to the switch. Then the 30 terminal would run to the Red/Light Blue wire, and that to a 12V source (or is it a 12V source itself), and then the 86 to a ground.

That way I would push in the clutch, hit the momentary switch, and the two step would set. Then when the clutch would released it would break that circuit.

Does that sound correct?

#10 ·
yeah but the factory NSS is a ground circuit..theres no power to it..just completes a ground circuit to PIN 30 when you push the clutch..not going to work for you

i used a separate switch on my clutch pedal(mounted it on the quadrant actually)

Amazon.com: MSD 8820 Over Throw Micro Switch: Automotive

#11 ·
How did you mount it and where is the quadrant located?

#12 ·
ok,i had some pics of mine,but i guess i deleted them..so im going to try and explain this as best i could,along with some top notch artwork lol

ok the quadrant is down near the clutch pedal..when you push the clutch pedal to the floor,the quadrant pivots TOWARD YOU,and pulls the clutch cable

here are a few pics of quadrants
in this first pic,its the white plastic thing on the right side..opposite of the clutch pedal
http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/...oadster_gauges_and_dash_install+pedal_box.jpg

thats the factory plastic one..they also make aftermarket aluminum pieces as well

ok take a look at the 1st attached pic..the arrows show how the quadrant moves when you push in the clutch,and it basically stops where the red line is..thats where you'll mount the switch,so when the clutch is to the floor,the edge of the quadrant hits the lever and arms the 2step

the second you start to raise the clutch,quadrant backs off,shuts the 2step off and away you go

the 2nd pic is a pic of my car when i had it torn down..i "drew" the switch where i mounted it(imagine the quadrant is in place

i just made a small "L" bracket out of some scrap aluminum,then attached the switch/bracket to the blue sheet metal "pillar" there with some sheet metal screws..

get it close,the you can tweak the bracket by bending it so the switch turns on/off where you want it with your clutch

or you could probably find a way to rig it up on the floor so the actual clutch pedal arm hits the level,but i thought this way was better than having it lay on the floor

Attachments

#13 ·
I just found this diagram too. Looks like instead of the switch being the one to break or complete the 12V circuit, the clutch switch would be used to either break or ground the whole relay circuit.

Attachments

#14 ·
yeah i guess you could try it that way..never saw that diagram before..wish i did when i installed mine lol
i guess you would just splice into the wires going to each side of the factory NSS

#15 ·
Right so that'd be the red/light blue wire. I figure I'll drill a hole for the momentary switch where the convertible top button would be.

All I need is a place to mouth the box without having to move the damn battery and I'll be all set.

Do you know which 12v sources you tapped into?

#17 ·
Yeah that's probably what I'll do for the momentary switch, and for the clutch switch I'll run inside the cabin. The rest I'll wire under the hood.

#18 ·
i turned my cruise control on/off button on my steering wheel into my momentary switch since i threw away the cruise control..but i honestly dont remember how i did it lol..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.