Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2002 Mustang GT Fuel Pump replacement question

21K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  surfer dave 
#1 ·
I need to replace my fuel pump on my 02 gt. I read the thread on doing this but the car was a 98 and my fuel filler pipe assembly is different than the 98. It says to remove the entire fuel filler pipe but I do not think I can do this with my 2002. Can anyone tell me how to do this or steer me in the right direction, thanks

#2 ·
I do beleieve you cna do this now with the tank in the car, but I can not say for sure. The differences between you pump and th e1998 pumps are mostly that your is a returnless pump and yes that does mean a lot. The returnless pumps are regualted by reducing the voltage to the pump. The old return style pumps always pumped full power and used the return line to vary the amounts used etc. The new pumps for you car are such that you will need to make sure you used the same type or you will have big problems. I will post a kink here about the new pumps and why and where they are to be had. But remember that when you call then they will tell you they are nit ready yet and say will be at end of January. You probably will not need a much higher then stock pump if you are under 420 hp the 190lph can handle roughly 520 and the 2555 even more. The things about getting the pump too big is it then will cause it to be slowed down most of the time by the lowered volage to the pump. This actually will mean it fails sooner. If it is too small then it will lean out the mixture at high demand and cause engine damage. The needs if you engine vs the pumps availablility will be of grat importance. The older style with return lines did nto reall care as all pumps did run at the max and the return line was used to dump back the extra. But with emmission being very mimportant the return type did allow the fuel to be warmed up and therefore more vapor to escape etc and so they were doen away with. I will not say one way or another which I preferr only that for now most of the pumps that you see at 190-255 liters for you year and application are telling you to wire the battery full voltage to the pumps and that then means it will alwasy pump at pamax and the internal regulator will have to over work to regulate the pressure etc. I am waiting for the new pump to be available for my own project. A Crobra kit car with 199 sohc 4.6 with comp cams and headers ported and polished and 78 mm throtle body30 # injectors. This will be about 460 hp when done. I will need a 190 lph pump will be more then enough to handle this and the stock would be to small. If you are planning more upgrades soon and feel you will need more pump for the applications then please read the added links in the links I am going to post here. It will explain why now it is more important to use the pump that best siuits you app as to always go to the biggest will actually cause you head aches. It make for very informative reading.
Fuel Pump Lookup from Fuel-Pumps.net

Remember eeven thought they have some stock replacements they still have to finish the tech work on the 190 -255 lph pumps

#3 ·
OK then....
The OP has a CAI and Flowmasters. I don't think he needs a high speed aftermarket fuel pump.

You don't have to remove the whole filler neck. Undo the three bolts around the gas cap that hold the filler neck in. That's all I remember doing.

First you should disconnect your battery. Sparks and fuel vapors are bad news.

Put a floor jack under your fuel tank. Hopefully there is little fuel in the tank or you're going to make a mess and end up getting high on fumes when you open this thing up. I put a 2x4 on top of the floor jack to help support the tank.
Loosen and remove the bolts to the fuel tank straps and lower the tank.
After that, you get to open up the tank. Clean off the top of the tank so you don't knock dirt and crap inside there.
Be careful installing the new fuel pump. There are small screws and plastic parts that you can break if you manhandle them too much.
It's not hard, but if you have more than half a tank of fuel it's gonna suck.

#4 ·
OK then....
The OP has a CAI and Flowmasters. I don't think he needs a high speed aftermarket fuel pump.

You don't have to remove the whole filler neck. Undo the three bolts around the gas cap that hold the filler neck in. That's all I remember doing.

Put a floor jack under your fuel tank. Hopefully there is little fuel in the tank or you're going to make a mess and end up getting high on fumes when you open this thing up. I put a 2x4 on top of the floor jack to help support the tank.
Loosen and remove the bolts to the fuel tank straps and lower the tank.
After that, you get to open up the tank. Clean off the top of the tank so you don't knock dirt and crap inside there.
Be careful installing the new fuel pump. There are small screws and plastic parts that you can break if you manhandle them too much.
It's not hard, but if you have more than half a tank of fuel it's gonna suck.
does the whole filler neck come out? or is that to give me room to move it a little while taking the fuel fill pipe out of thew tank?

#6 ·
FWIIW, I have done this job and did learn a few things from the experience. The Ford service manual states to cut away the fuel tank grommet before removing the filler neck.

I normally follow the service manual very closely. When I dropped my fuel tank, I did not COMPLETELY remove the old grommet. When the filler neck was extracted, this broke the anti-rollover check value on the end of the filler neck.

The filler neck check value can't be serviced separately. So a new filler neck was needed. Replacement of an expensive part that could have been avoided.

The gas vapors are hard on rubber parts as it is. The filler neck grommet is a frequent source of leaks. The grommet from Ford is only an $18 part. Replace it and avoid future leaks.

In addition, the re-install will be easier as the filler neck will go back in much easier with a new grommet.

My recommendation. Take the time to completely cut away the old filler neck grommet. Once done, the filler neck will easily come out of the gas tank without breaking anything.

This will give FULL access to the top of the tank allowing for it be be cleaned inside and out.

IMO, the Mustang has one of the easier fuel tanks to drop (should you decide to drop the tank). It really doesn't take that long to do especially if the tank is empty. Just get over the urge to re-use the filler neck grommet and in the end, you will be rewarded with a sucessful outcome.

#7 ·
Yeah, the filler neck grommet was a PITA, but this guy's trying to replace a fuel pump.
A. Raise rear of car and support with jackstands
B. Open fuel door and remove fuel cap and three screws (10mm socket)
C. Remove fuel filter inlet line. You'll need a 3/8" springlock tool.
D. Support tank with jack, remove bolts for fuel tank straps
E. Slowly lower fuel tank until you can see the electrical connections for the fuel pump. Dissconnect these. There are two.
F. Remove six bolts securing fuel pump access cover on top of fuel tank (8mm). Depress two clips securing the plastic fuel pump enclosure and slide it out of tank. The fuel sender float is attached to the fuel pump. Dont' break it.
G. Remove the two screws securing the plastic fuel pump outlet manifold to the enclosure cap. Pull the manifold up and away from the fuel pump.
H. Remove the three screws securing the fuel pump enclosure's cover using a 3/16" nut driver and remove the cover.
I. Remove the fuel pump from it's enclosure. Separate the rubber pump support from beneath the filter and install it on the new pump.
J. Reinstall all that stuff in the opposite order.

Edit: I see what you're saying wmburns about full access to the tank. I didn't have any problems doing it the way I typed up. OP, it's up to you.

#8 ·
thanks to all you helped, just finished up, why don't they put that fuel tank filler grommet in the fuel pump kit? stupid that you have to go to they dealer for that part. anyway thanks to all and have a safe and happy new year. so glad my baby's running again, love my truck but there's nothing like my stang!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.