Ford Mustang Forum banner

no heat svo 2.3

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  LIVESKATER1389 
#1 ·
hey guys i cant seem to fix this problem. ive read everything i can find on the issue and nothing is fixing this problem. i recently replaced a head gasket on my 84 svo and now there is no heat...just sitting idling the engine will not even reach 100 on my autometer gauge

few things i changed while i did the head gasket.

added an external oil cooler and did away with the coolant oil cooler (ran lines directly to heater core.

the coolant line coming off the bottom of the intake was rerouted into the block where the stock gauge sender goes.

cars front end was put on jack stands to try to burp the system but i dont think the thermostat even opened up because there was very little water flow through the radiator

i drove it for a while and it barely hit 150 on the guage, upper radiator hose was hott but didnt see water flowing through the radiator, replaced the water pump and no change.

thermostat was recently replaced as well as heater core,

i read somewhere that there is some type of recall or something with the ford water necks on the 2.3 but couldnt find any more info other then for put out a bulletin about them. does anyone know what this is about

sorry for the long posted but thats everything i can think of, its winter here in NY so i need the heat

thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
yes i read both of those...i cant find the bulletin any where, does anyone have a link to the bulletin or any more info on it? like i said everything is new and nothing is plugged up..and even if the heater core is plugged the engine should still reach over 100 at idle, theres got to be another problem

thanks for the post

#5 ·
im reading temp from the same place i was when the lines were routed to the stock oil cooler...i redid them b.c an external cooler is more efficiant and less likely to have coolant leaks that you cant reach or fix. regardless if i use the stock oil cooler or not the engine should produce more then 100*.

the gauge is hooked into a t off the lower intake, the other side of the t is ran to the block where the stock temp sensor is located.

#6 ·
so you have your gauge hooked up on the lower intake?

it shouldnt be there it should be under the lower side of the intake toward the back of the block.

as shown in the picture.

Attachments

#7 ·
It took me a bit to re-read this post to figure out why you are not getting a temp rise on the gage. You are not getting water circulating across the bulb (sensor) the gage. With the way you have the hoses piped, you are not circulating water properly at all.

Attachments

#8 ·
not sure what happend but ever since the car is running again i have temp, hits 195 and the fans turn on...hovers aroun 160 while driving, i dont know wat caused the gauge not to rise before maybe b.c it was zero* out and i was adding freezing coolant, like i said it hit 150 while driving so it could have been that it was just so cold out. thanks for your help guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.