Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to make 5.0 fabricated valve covers...

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  sxrpGT 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got my factory 84 mustang valve covers powercoated all nice...and guess what...they dont' clear my roller rockers....well i had just the solution, make my own valve covers

Here is my steps and progress of making them (i'm still making them)

First thing I did was to get a set of stock 87-93 mustang valve covers and cut the tops off of them.

Check out the first image to see what we did.

Next I make some stand offs, they are made out of 6061 aluminum and the are 4 inches long. I had to do the following to them:
Center drilled them

Faced both sides so they look nice plus they are of equal lengths

All I have left to do on the standoffs is turn them down and then drill the hole through them.

Also I put the valve cover flanges in a bridgeport and shave them down so they are nice and level :)

The second image shows what we have so far.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You know you could save yourself a lot of time by just using those aluminum mounting flanges you made as risers for the powerdercoated covers you have so they clear the rocker arms. There's a few companies that make risers very similar to that and sell them for $114 for the pair.

#4 ·
i have an 89 mustang 5.0 and i have a set of 1.7 roller rockers on hold for me @ a performance parts sore near my house, will they clear my vaove covers? please say yes! also do i need new valve springs?

#5 ·
Well I didn't want to spend that much on a pair of spacers...plus I like the fabricated look better...I will only have about $50 invested in these covers.

#7 ·
and is that hard to do?

#11 · (Edited)
Ok per request and I finally got one made, this is what my valve covers will closely resemble. Today my friend welded the tops on fully and I grinded the welds I didn't want to see. I sandblasted them just to get an even look. I'm not sure what i'll do for a finish yet.....

Well my stock D80E heads wouldn't work with my 1.6 rollers, i had to have my machine shop shave the valve stems down. My stock 84 covers wouldn't clear the slightest bit. (alot of people grind the corner down on the rockers but i rather get properly fitting covers...) The total price i have into these covers are abotu $70...alot of the stuff is freebies why i got them for so cheap

#13 ·
merkerguitars,
NICE WORK!! Very nice, clean and not all hacked up. Mad props. :worship
I had to fabricate my Cobra valve covers for mt GT. I had to yank out the filler neck and put that valve cover on the drivers side and fab a cover for the new hole. Only one problem My oil fill is farther back on the pass side. I had to customize the throttle cable bracket thingy in order to get a oil cap on it. Again nice work.

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.