Ford Mustang Forum banner

2012 Mustang Production Cease

9K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  ace72ace 
#1 ·
Ok, first off, I want to porject that I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe for many many reason, but I wanted to bring this to discussion to see if anyone else has been approached about this.

Today I went looking around dealerships at 2012 V6 Mustangs since I am looking to buy within the next 1-2 months. Found a 2012 V6 Performance Package base model in Ingot silver; the options I have my eye on. Very impressed in comparsion tot he base models with 2.73's and 6R80s ive drive before.

Anyway, this dealer was very straight forward with me in pricing, look into all types of incentives i may be eligible for. Also, in my area, this is a Ford dealer that deals a lot with Mustangs; they always have a good stock of GT's, V6's and GT500's. Came away from the situation feeling good. (Russ Milne Ford)

Went to another dealership and overall felt like a different type of customer when talking to the salesman. Just didn't feel as though the guy really cared; the guy seemed to just want me to buy. I had him go through all the incentives I could be eligeable for as well and got pretty much the same results, but somethings didnt corrospond to the other dealers offerings. Also, this guy did not look into as great detail with things. One of the things I was told by the salesman is that his general manager just told him 2012 Mustangs will STOP BEING PRODUCED after job 1.... I asked him about this information further and he said that it was a suprise to him, but his GM just told him and that he has connections as far as Mustang production. (Mike Dorian Ford)

Im pretty sure this is BS and the salesman, knowing I wasn't planning to buy for another month or so, was trying to get me to rush on a Mustang. Just curious if anyone else has been fed this?

I know some people who would know a lot about this as well, but lets see what comes up here.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was given all sorts of misinformation from the original dealership I set out to buy a car from last October. Like the reason my car was taking so long was because I changed the order when in fact they had no allocation and my order was taking the longest of all because they had given me a priority 19 allowing other orders to slip in ahead of me when they were all being put in as 10s. And when the first '12s started hitting dealer lots this dealer even told another board member those weren't real 2012s, they were rebadged 2011s!

There is no limit to what some of these guys will make up.

And you are right, the way you get treated can vary radically dealer to dealer. Some profile you right off the bat as not serious because of your appearance. I'm not sure what was wrong with me that day, I thought I looked okay, LOL, but I had a dealer in the most affluent part of town decide right off the bat I wasn't a real buyer. I had asked about brochures and they were all out. Funny after a few minutes of discussion when he realized I knew what I was talking about and was looking for a car right away he suddenly remembered they had some brochures. I told him no thanks and hoped what they saved on giving out a brochure made up for losing a $35K sale. Amazing.

#3 ·
First dealership I went to, a real jerk of a salesman swoops in on me. Let's me do a test drive, then went back in to discuss things. The one I test drove wasn't exactly what I was looking for, and I knew to get that it would have to be ordered. Told him to inquire about ordering one with the GM and he came back telling me that if I ordered one I would not see it for 6 months. Then spent the next few minutes trying to get me to buy the one that I just test drove. I humored him and asked him what he could do for me with the price if I got the one they had, and all he did was point at the sticker price and said "that's the price". Needless to say, I ordered my Mustang through another dealership with a salesman that treated me with respect.

#4 ·
When I got mine in 2009, I wanted a stick. I asked if they could find one and I would check back in a few days. Came back and was told none availible, that he had checked in about a hundred mile radius. I bought the car, one week later I stopped at a dealer no more than 30 miles away, and lo and behold, there sat my EXACT car, and one identical to it......except it was a stick. Learned my lesson, from now on, I do my own leg work and trust NO one.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Sounds about the same as my experience. The first dealership I went to they paged the salesman and it took him 5 - 10 minutes to come and talk to me. At the time I didn't realise that the black Laguna Seca wasn't legal to drive on streets but he told me he could order me one. He asked me for my email address and said he'd get back to me on the weekend but didn't. 4 weeks now.... no response. When I went to the next dealer the salesman told me right away that the Laguna Seca wasn't street legal and that Windsor was only getting one in. He said there was little chance of any customer ordering it because other dealerships were offering them over 100 thousand to get it. I did some research and he was right - Canada received very few and they went in a lottary to see which dealers would get them. At least he was honest so I ordered the Gt with all the options that I wanted without any problems from him. He was straight foreward right off the bat asking me if I still wanted to order a 2012 GT since the wait would probably be anywhere from 8 - 12 weeks. I prefer someone like that that's not just there to make the big sale.

#8 ·
This guy, I could tell, other than the production stop with the Mustang, that he was pulling stuff from his ass. I started talking to him about Ford and them moving to a globalized platform and the 2014 Mustang being one with more of a global market and design in mind and he was suprised to hear some of the stuff I was telling him.

Haha, at least I know for sure I will not be comming back to that dealership. Hopefully the PP V6 I test drove will still be around in the comming month at Russ Milne; I really want that one. Thinking of either Angela, Monica or Audrey as a name:winks

#10 ·
With most every dealer I've dealt with in the past, the saleman has much less knowledge about the vehicle than I do. Pretty sad, in my opinion!

#11 ·
Good salesmanship takes alot of skill. Product knowledge, communication, people skills.

Unfortunately its one that gets alot of bad apples that for some reason never seem to washout.

#12 ·
I can't even begin to tell you about the continuous stream of bullsh*t I got from my dealership. It was unreal, lie after lie, misstatement after misstatement. It got comical after awhile and I just stopped calling them. Instead I contacted FCS directly and established a working relationship w/ someone there. That has been much more fruitful regarding good information. Plus I use Deysha as confirmation. The 2 sources always jibed and I felt I got the straight scoop.

I got an "ok" deal for an ordered car, about a grand off.

It's taking a long time because of the numerous production delays and my dealer's non-existant allocation. My fault for sticking w/ them this long.

#15 ·
It's taking a long time because of the numerous production delays and my dealer's non-existant allocation. My fault for sticking w/ them this long.
How does one learn how much allocation the dealer really has? My car has been on order for a month, and Ford's computer still says it is in the ordering process. Maybe it's in the non-allocation process. How can I check? This isn't the kind of question one would bring to Ford directly. They wouldn't want to rat out a low-allocation dealer.

#14 ·
I went to one dealership just to see if I could fit into a new Mustang comfortably. They pointed me to a 2007 convertible, saying they are all the same. I declined the invitation, and said I want to try a new one, seeing as I might want a NEW one. They set me into a 2009 Shelby (fit well) and said, that's a new one. Then I studied the car, saw there is not a new car sticker, and another guy said, "that's a used one". So I asked for a new one. Someone brought one over, and didn't know how to change the steering wheel to get it out of the way of my legs.

I decided they are just plain dumb, and went to others for real test drives. But then the 2012's came out. After having been on their website, and seeing them in stock, I went back to that first dealer. I asked to see their 2012's. The sales guy said they won't have them for months. The scary part is, HE WASN'T LYING. HE DIDN'T KNOW. Others there were just as uninformed

I walked them to their row of Mustangs, and showed them to them. Then I took a test drive, and they were ready to seal the deal by asking for the keys to my "trade-in", i.e. the car I came in. I declined and suggested they get their sales guys some better training, said I will do some websearching to gain my own understanding of options, prices, etc.

When I made it plain I am a serious buyer, they couldn't even figure out how to respond to an email I sent, telling them it was on its way, to ask for a formal quote.

I went with someone else. I told them I did ordered from another dealer.

Three weeks later, their guy phoned me to ask if I was coming back to finish negotiations on the car I seemed most interested in.

Another two weeks, and still have the same cars on their lot they did when I took the test drive. Can anyone guess why?

#16 ·
After having been on their website, and seeing them in stock, I went back to that first dealer. I asked to see their 2012's. The sales guy said they won't have them for months. The scary part is, HE WASN'T LYING. HE DIDN'T KNOW. Others there were just as uninformed
Wow. If this is typical for most car salesmen, perhaps I should become one myself and make a killing!

How does one learn how much allocation the dealer really has? My car has been on order for a month, and Ford's computer still says it is in the ordering process. Maybe it's in the non-allocation process. How can I check? This isn't the kind of question one would bring to Ford directly. They wouldn't want to rat out a low-allocation dealer.
I'd be interested in this sort of info as well. Does dealership allocation reset at a certain set time frame such as monthly or weekly? I mean, does allocation limit how many vehicles a dealership can order in a year, a month, a week? Anyone know what the average allocation is for a medium sized dealership?

#17 ·
I'm about to order one (today in all likelihood) and those were the questions I made sure I asked my salesman. I was told they had allocations for the Mustang and 6-8 weeks sounded about right.
He's treated me fair and square since I first started talking to him, and they have a rep as being a great dealership. So here's hoping...

#23 ·
Hah I totally had forgotten about this post.

So I did order that day, and they've been "ok". My salesman has been straight with me since day one, but it seems they were always a little behind on information. Deysha however, has been amazing. Everything seems to be on a "normal" schedule and no real monkey business with them.

#19 ·
Hi,The link dosen't work for me,has it been changed.

#20 ·
What link are you talking about?

#22 ·
Yeah, some of the salesmen are dinks. We went to look for a new truck in 1999. It was close to closing time. We walked around the trucks waiting for a salesman to come out. None would. Usually when you go to just look you get 5 that come out and hound you. Well I really wanted some info so I went in. All the salesmen sitting it their offices just looked at us and then down. We were almost out the door when one salesman came in the other door and asked if he could help us. He was great. Let us test drive the truck even though it was after closing and ended up with a $30,000+ sale because of it. I couldn't believe all the others that just sat there. Wouldn't you know, he was the highest selling salesman month after month. I am sure the other salesmen couldn't figure out why.

#29 ·
do you know about any delay in 2012 mustang GT convertible production schedule? I placed the order from Italy using a broker on february 2012 and today (June 14th) i discovered that probably in two weeks from now i will have the VIN number and if i'm lucky they will deliver to me the car at the end of july!!! i'm getting upset. thanks:cooldude:

#30 ·
2012 Mustang cease production for now

Just wanted to add 2 cents to the rumor of 2012 mustang production being stopped. It actually is true. My cousin is the parts manager at a local dealership and he told me this. He said it was because there is a certain electronic part necessary for production that was only made in Japan and due to the recent events there they are currently not in operation. Until this factory can get back up and running or an alternative supplier can be found, production has been put on hold. Another note, the Red Candy color is also made in Japan and is not currently available. On a positive note, he did tell me this in time for me to get my Red Candy 2012 about a month ago. Was trying to decide when to get one and that made the decision much easier knowing I'd have it for the summer. Hope this helps.

#31 ·
Just wanted to add 2 cents to the rumor of 2012 mustang production being stopped. It actually is true. My cousin is the parts manager at a local dealership and he told me this. He said it was because there is a certain electronic part necessary for production that was only made in Japan and due to the recent events there they are currently not in operation. Until this factory can get back up and running or an alternative supplier can be found, production has been put on hold. Another note, the Red Candy color is also made in Japan and is not currently available. On a positive note, he did tell me this in time for me to get my Red Candy 2012 about a month ago. Was trying to decide when to get one and that made the decision much easier knowing I'd have it for the summer. Hope this helps.
I heard this a couple months ago when I was waiting for a car that wasn't showing any signs of progress. But I heard that the only parts affected were some pigment found in two paint colors, and some electronics in the NAV/Electronics package. I was seeing cars that didn't have those things being ordered and built (all except mine, of course :weeps)

So unless there is a new delay ...

#33 ·
2012 production stops - for my GT

I had been pestering my Ford dealer after ordering a GT Prem in May and still not having a VIN assigned. After 5+ weeks they called today to say that 2012 Mustang production was on a hold. What gives?
Ordered: May 18 2011, VIN/Build/Ship/Deliver is on hold???

#34 ·
I had been pestering my Ford dealer after ordering a GT Prem in May and still not having a VIN assigned. After 5+ weeks they called today to say that 2012 Mustang production was on a hold. What gives?
Ordered: May 18 2011, VIN/Build/Ship/Deliver is on hold???
I would go to another dealer ASAP. I ordered on 6/6/11 and received a VIN on 6/23. I'm thinking your dealer doesn't have allocation...

#37 ·
the thread doesn't work. can you put up one that does work. I would really like to check out my build date and invoice thanks!

#38 ·
Ifn you are computer savy and don't mind driving to get your car, go on dealer connection and shop around for what you want. The two local dealers here in shreveport did not have what I wanted and were reluctant to order. The dealer always want to sell you something they have on the lot. Less work for them. I found mine in Dallas. Drove 2 1/2 hours to get it. Sure was fun driving her back home to Shreveport.:)

#39 ·
WOW, I really should have read this before I ordered mine. I was really apalled at how terrible some of the salesman were. The guy I ended up buying from was positive the you couldnt get a 2012 mustang in kona blue! it was unreal. reaading this makes me feel a little better tho.

#40 ·
I bought my car from the third dealer I visited;

I knew more about the car than any of the dealers just by a little internet research prior to buying....

you would think these guys would get a bit more informed.....the first kid didn't know what size the engine was or the horsepower or torque......and didn't even know what ratio the rear axle was when it was all listed on the window sticker however he spent 15 minutes showing me how to sync my phone's contacts to the radio and make voice generated calls....he seemed to be an expert at that.....

I finally stopped him...told him I didn't give a crapt about the radio's bluetooth capability.....and that he could relax on that part of the sales pitch.....I was more interested in the performance of the car....

#41 ·
During my ordering process I have seen a wide spectrum of salesmen at many dealerships. The first guy I talked to wanted to know what other vehicles besides the Mustang I was interested in. After going along with him and mentioning the Ranger and Focus he totally forgot about the Mustang. On to the next dealership.

The second salesman was a bit better and let me test drive a Mustang and Ranger, but doubted I could afford the Mustang. This sort of turned me off because of the profiling.

The third one I talked to is the head salesman at the dealership and helped price out what I wanted. He also made sure that he would have allocation before confirming the order with me. I didn't buy with him though because of how much better the next salesman is.

I finally went to the salesman my parents have been going to for years now. He was busy with a customer, but gave me keys right away for the only Mustang on the lot. It wasn't what I wanted (Convertible and I want a coupe) so he went through all the options I wanted. After finding out that no other dealers had what I wanted he figured out a price, and submitted the order. He mentioned that night that getting allocation might be tough, but he would do his best. He's kept me updated throughout the entire process and called me as late as 9pm some nights just to make sure I knew the newest update on the car. Supposedly it's to be built next week (I expect a call Monday to confirm) and I'd have to say I'm a little excited :laughlitt.

I highly recommend going to Grogan Ford in Watford if you live in south-western Ontario because the service is amazing! I think all of the sales staff there would be give you similar service as what I got. Everyone that walked by while I was waiting for my salesman asked if they could help me with something.

#42 ·
With the current market, internet shopping and customers purchasing cars under invoice and not allowing commissioned salespeople to make a living, many seasoned and professional salespeople take their skills into other markets where you can actually get a paycheck every month. It's just like how Home Depot and Best Buy went from being filled with knowledgeable associates, but with price wars and people generally unwilling to pay for the services they are getting, those companies have now turned into a hiring place for the same breed of snotty teenagers that flipped burgers in the 90's, who don't know the difference between sheetrock and durock or RAM vs memory. But when you price match with every other company, you can't afford more than minimum wage, and people with talent don't work for free.

Many of the salesmen who stay in the car business get screwed by customers so many times they start returning the favor. Spending weeks working with someone, test driving multiple vehicles, and then having them purchase the same car next door for a dollar less can make you a little less inclined to follow the same procedure next time.

Just my $.2

#43 ·
... the same breed of snotty teenagers that flipped burgers in the 90's, who don't know the difference between sheetrock and durock or RAM vs memory.
Sorry... I've been in the computer business for more than 30 years and I don't know the difference between RAM (Random Access Memory) and memory. :confused:

#44 ·
When I buy a car, I get all my info online.... options, pricing, etc. Then I go to the dealer to drive one and make sure it's what I want and try to get a ballpark price. Then I go home, research again, decide what I'm willing to pay(invoice for new, avg going rate on eBay for used) and come back into the dealer knowing the fair price. I always get it with little argument. Sometimes they like to play their "ask my manager" game...whatever.

The key is knowing what you want and the right price going in.

#45 ·
Yet another story

I started looking last spring for my 2012 Black Base V6 with Manual Transmission. Couldn't find one (online) in Michigan, checked in Virginia where my brother lives and had some luck but it was gone by the time I was ready to pull the trigger. In April I went to my local dealer and he first said he had an allocation, so I said "Let's do it." Then when he went to order it he said "well, it looks like it will be a stock order." I said "Whatever. If I find one somewhere else, I'm buying that one." I had a software conference in Missouri in May and called Don Vance Ford and they had the EXACT car I wanted. I bought it. My local dealer never called me to tell me a VIN had been generated or the sticker was available. Nothing. Not a word. 3 months after ordering (July 18th), he called me and said "Hey Rick! Your car is here."

Too late. That said, my local dealer IS a nice group of people, they just didn't have the allocation and couldn't or wouldn't be honest about the amount of time it was going to take to get a stock order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.