Ford Mustang Forum banner

Question about rod bearing tang direction.

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ryan7662 
#1 ·
Hello again, I wanted to see if I'm installing the rod bearings into my 351w correctly or not. I was taught that the tangs should face each other and be on the same side of the journal after assembly. Does that sound right? I also read that the chamfered side of the bearing should face the crank but it appears that both sides of my bearings are chamfered and identical. And I was taught that the tangs should face towards the outside of the block on either side. Correct?

Also just wondering here but my speed pro hyp. pistons don't have arrows on them telling you which way to install them. They're the duroshield coated ones that have 4 valve reliefs and look like it wouldn't matter which way you'd install them but I wanted to ask to be sure. I'm guessing it wouldn't matter as long as the rod bearing tangs face outwards? There is some numbers and letters on one side of the piston but to get the tangs all facing outwards some of my pistons were upside down compared to the others(machine shop pressed them on backwards?). Judging from the picture below is that a problem or can they go in either way? Thanks for any help on this.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The dot on the edge of your piston is the arrow. Look at the big end of the rod,.one side has a larger chamfer this chamfer faces out. The smaller chamfers face each other in the rid journal

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Oh hoo guess I'll have to take 2 of my pistons back and have them pressed on correctly. I had a feeling about that dot shaped depression but I wasn't totally sure about it thanks for the help woody1:bigthumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.