Ford Mustang Forum banner

Value of 1966 Mustang

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mustangted1963 
#1 ·
My grandpa is looking to sell his mustang and I am very interested in purchasing it from him. I however feel he might be asking a bit much. The car itself is pretty close to being original as it can be. It is an V6 automatic with no power steering or any frills frankly but only has 21.5K miles. There isn't any visible rust on the outside but looking in the trunk there are spots of it in between the panels. The paint is peeling slightly on the edges and has white spots on the roof. I would say the interior is pretty much perfect; no rips or cracks on any seat. The exhaust manifold has a crack in it but he does have a replacement for it but it isn't that necessary to fix, it is still drive-able. It needs new brake pads and more than likely new shocks in the near future.

I am very new to the site and any knowledge you might have would be great. I am hoping to buy it if the price is right. That is all the information I have off the top of my head if there is anything else that might be important to know please tell me.

Thanks!

G
#2 ·
Welcome to AFM! What is he asking for it? It actually has a straight 6 not a V6... more than likely a 200 C.I.D. Crawl under it and knock around on the seat pans... make sure they're not rusted through under the carpet. The cowl vent (in front of the windshield by the hood) is notorious for gathering debris and rusting out the cowl vents on either side. This leads to rotten floor pans and rotten cowl vents (the latter of which can be costly).

What transmission is it... auto or 3 speed? The brakes won't be too costly to fix but they are drum brakes so they don't have pads. Is he the only owner? If so then I wouldn't argue the mileage. If he's not the first owner the odometer could have turned over at 100,000 and started over... just a head's up.

Get some pics if you can and let us know what he wants to charge you and we can help you with a price.

Thanks for joining!
:bigthumbsup

#3 ·
He is asking $14000 to $15000. I have no idea if that is high I just kind of assumed it was. It is an auto transmission and I am pretty sure you are correct about it being a 200. The mileage is definitely legitimate because he has been the only owner. The car has been stored every winter here in Michigan and it barely gets driven during the summer. And sorry if my terminology is a bit wrong this is the first time I have really looked into the mechanics of a car.

#4 ·
SMO....yur grandiddy doesnt love you. BUT he aint stupid for wanting top dollar.
First is price is severely out of line unless it's restored.
Second the car has only 21k on it...that is a huge plus BUT it needs restoring and that price is WAY out of line.
Other people would but I wouldnt offer more than 8 or 9k

BTW...you'll get a LOT more interest if you post pic's we love pic's! Also it helps us help you.

G
#5 ·
First, I wasn't correcting you...just passing on info to help you learn about these awesome cars. The mileage is awesome but there were many, many, many six cylinder cars. Restored six cylinder 66's go in the 9 to 11 grand range. $7,000 to $8,000 would be more the range you're looking at. If there are issues that could still be a high price. I would go over the car lock, stock and barrel and look for any hidden rust or obvious rust you can find. Any amount of rust just means a LOT of rust later. It's a perpetual cancer on old cars. You don't want to spend a ton of money and then have to redo all the bodywork (even if it looks nice) at a later date. We're not trying to discourage you at all... just want you to be educated and prepared.

Cheers and keep us posted... and of course get some pics up!

#8 ·
he is waaaaaaaaaaay high. That price is ridiculous. If he doesn't believe you, tell him to come debate it here himself with the experts. Is it a fastback or coupe? That makes all the difference in the world too. If it's a coupe maybe $4000. Fastback maybe 7-8k.

#10 ·
LOL ....should there be a WARNING THREAD to new comers to post a pic before asking the value of a Stang?

We're guessing if its coupe or fastback :grinroll: and he aint telling us. :laughlitt

I like the thread last fall where the kid was trying to get free parts for his momma's car cuz she loved it so much and spent her whole life taking care of a loved one and he wanted to fix it up for her. In the thread it comes out that there was no motor or tranny. I ask " so if she loved it so much how did the motor and tranny come up missing":nogrinner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.