Ford Mustang Forum banner

Beware the Ides of March

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  downwardspiral 
#1 ·
Well, here's what happened.. I went to bed early last night because I was stressed out and wanted to wake up in a good mood. At about 4am I woke up to a bang and the sound of a 4 cylinder revving up. Somehow I knew right away that someone hit my car, and decided I would deal with it when I woke up. I was thinking someone tapped my bumper or something, but was pretty dissapointed when I saw the damage.

My insurance is not going to cover it, since the car was deemed a total loss in Hurricane Sandy and I bought it back.. I can no longer have collision on the car. I have the tools needed to fix this myself, but where the hell can I get replacement sheet metal for these cars? There are cracks in the metal, so I cant just straighten the dents out and fix it with body filler. I'm sure as hell not paying a body shop to fix it, I'll end up spending more than what I paid for the car the second time around.

See less See more
#2 ·
Aww man that sucks ass. Was it parked in the street? You can probably get the sheet metal from a body shop, and then fix it yourself. But that being said..if they can order the panels, so can you. I would just find a reputable shop and find out where they would get the quarter from. I would be on the lookout for a crapbox car with white paint streaks on it. Make that person pay for it.

#4 ·
Yeah, I try not to park it in the street and usually don't.. but did yesterday. I have some friends with shops, I guess I'll ask them. I briefly looked around for the car, but alot of people aren't home at this hour. I don't plan on getting them to pay for it, it would be nice to find the person though :yup:

#7 ·
Thanks for the sympathy.. I took a half personal day because I was just staring at my computer screen in rage lol.

Well that certainly sucks, insurance coverage or not. Hope you are able to get it fixed and possibly track down the losers who caused the damage. Best of luck!
Thanks.. I'm not counting on it, and even if I find someone with a white streak on a black car it really doesn't prove anything. All I can do is hope the person will feel bad/nervous/guilty enough to admit they are wrong and try to help me with the situation. At this point I'm just working on fixing it and moving on with my life.

Wow that's bad. I don't know how you resisted not going to look at you mustang when you heard that bang, I would of looked in a flash.
I knew I could still fall back asleep if I reassured myself it was just a little circle on the bumper or something. If I saw it I wouldn't have fallen back asleep.
I will post pictures of the replacement process, hopefully I don't screw it up too bad lol. I am just worried about the gas tank, I am trying to figure out how much of the fuel system I will need to remove in order to safely cut and weld the quarter panel on. I'm glad I get a small amount of joy when I do things like this, otherwise I would be in really bad shape right now. This is realistically $3000 in damage with the amount of work that is involved IMO.

#6 ·
Wow that's bad. I don't know how you resisted not going to look at you mustang when you heard that bang, I would of looked in a flash.

#8 ·
I ordered a quarter panel from Levittown Ford since they are 15 minutes from me. List price on these things is $700+ :nono:. They gave me a better price, but I was hoping it would be $300 like my '73 lol. I'm going to try and do this next weekend.

#9 ·
Sucks man. Way worse than what happened to me today, especially considering I have the guy who did it and he wants to get it fixed outside of insurance.

Good luck with your repair, I wish I could help!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
It's not so bad, I did a cowl panel on my 73 and that was way more involved lol. This may be the worst possible spot to get hit though, the passenger side would have been alot easier without the fill cap there.. a fender or bumper is a bolt on and paint deal.. I hope everything works out for you too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.