Ford Mustang Forum banner

3.8l v6 - 4.6l v8 (swap)

20K views 33 replies 4 participants last post by  heavy metal 
#1 ·
I am currently creating a list, so I can get ready to do my swap in my New Edge from a V6 to a V8 2V.
If anybody on here would like to help me out and add on to the list, I would not mind it, and would greatly appreciate it.

I know some of you veterans are tired of seeing this thread pop up every few weeks, but let me assure you. I am fully capable of doing this swap. I have my own tools, cherry pickers, engine stand, garage, donor car. The whole 9 yards..

I have a '99 V6 (170K) and my donor Mustang is a '01 GT (89K). Both are Manual.

Here is the list I have made so far..

- Complete Engine W/ Wiring Harness
- Transmission
- Driveshaft
- Differential
- Motor Mounts (?)
-------------------------------
- Hydroboost
- CCRM
- ECU
- ECU Wiring Harness
- Ignition
- Cluster
--------------------------------
- Radiator & Hoses
- CAI
- Dual Exhaust

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm curious have you by chance done this swap?

I'm still not sure about having to swap the dash harness, but I'll be swapping it just to be on the safe side. I will definitely be swapping over the whole rear axle though.
I'll have to look into the fuse box and harness ordeal. I don't believe I need to swap it over, but I could be wrong.

#3 ·
Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Def swap rear axles...

Reactions: MalikGT
#12 ·
Hey everybody it's been awhile since I last posted, sorry about that. I want to give you all a quick update though. I have been in the middle of doing this swap, and I am just about finished stripping my V6 Mustang. To be honest this process of swapping over to a V8 hasn't been so bad. Everything seems straight forward and isn't nearly as troubling as I though it would be.

I have quite a few pics to post up as well of the process i've been going through. Should I post them on here, or do I make a separate thread? :grin:

#28 ·
Man! Moving right along! Since everything is out of there, it would be a great time to do a wire tuck and weld in some Scott rod panels. You could have a real smooth engine bay. Then if you deleted power steering and brakes, it would be even better.

#29 · (Edited)
What exactly do you mean by a wire tuck?

Also, those panels do look nice, but it's not the route i'm really planning on going. In the future (after this swap is done). I was going to weld in a tubular front end, so I rather not get them since I will be cutting out the front end someday. I'm also probably going to end up keeping the PS.

I plan on drifting with my Mustang, so I wouldn't mind the assist in steering. Also, what do you mean by removing the brakes. Do you mean the ABS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.