Ford Mustang Forum banner

New here and thinking about an 2003 Mustang

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  SoCal2V 
#1 ·
I found 2 mustangs close to me. One is a 2003 Red GT with 55,000 miles, manual with some goodies. Short throw, exhaust, plenum, CAI. Has new AC compressor but needs charged. Could probably get it for $7500 The other is a blue 2003 Mach 1 with 80,000 miles. Don't know the upgrades yet but it's a friend of a friend's wifes car. He has 3 mustangs. Both garage kept and put away in the winter. Could get the Mach 1 for $9500. Leaning towards the Mach 1 since the guy is a mustang fanatic. Which would you choose?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just yesterday bought a 2002 Mustang GT base cloth hardtop manual with 12,950 Miles on it for $8,800 not including taxes and DMV crap... Anyway I had a option for buy a 2002 Mustang GT premium convertible auto with 50K miles on it for $8,000.

So I know the thought process in looking at least for my area.

I don't think you could go very wrong with either of your proposed options, but if it were me in those options I would choose the Mach 1. For two main reasons: 1. It is a Mach 1 at a good price. 2. Because it is somebody you know of which means more likely to be honest and up front with you and they seem to have a good Mustang background.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. It seems any Mustang around here with low miles can bring top dollar. The Mach 1 seems a little high from KBB or NADA but it is a Mach 1 and I don't come across those at all around here. And it's the original owner of the car.

#3 ·
Even with the mileage difference I'd pick the Mach1 over the red GT as long as the Mach1 has the manual transmission. I seem to remember that automatic Mach1s don't have the forged crankshaft (and higher redline) that manual Mach1s do. I like the idea of getting a well-kept car that belonged to the wife of a Mustang enthusiast, unless she can't drive stick. And Azure Blue was a Mach1 only color that year.

Darn it! I added a 2013 Boss 302 to my signature but I can't figure out why it shows when I preview my posts but doesn't show below after I post them.

#5 ·
Yes I forgot to mention only buy the Mach 1 if manual.

Not that it is all about 0-60 times, but this is a huge difference worth pointing out. I can't imagine why they are this different other than older the Ford auto the more it is bad...
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (Auto) Compare Car 0-60 mph 5.5 | Quarter mile 13.7
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (Manual) Compare Car 0-60 mph 4.6 | Quarter mile 13.0

#6 ·
Definitely the Mach.

1) Performance vs what a GT has to offer.
2) In a roundabout sort of way, you "know" the car. This is big.
3) That's a great price for such a car.

I love my GT, as do most others here love theirs. And I love my manual transmission, as do most others here (except Jon and Warrior lol). But for the difference in performance and all around potential of the car, even if it has an auto transmission (you didn't state either way, so just covering the bases here) I would still go for it. The 4R70/75 auto trans is very durable and without a whole lot of money invested can be made to be almost as much fun as a manual, and as far as 1/4 mile times go, faster. I saw the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times posted above, it won't take much to put an auto Mach into the same times as a manual Mach. And unless you are planning on making more than 600 hp, the forged crank (manual trans cars) vs cast iron crank (auto cars) is a moot point. And either way by that point you will be needing serious internal engine upgrades anyway.

#7 ·
The Mach 1 is a manual. Just talked to the owner, it was his wife's car. Only driven from May to October, they had other cars for winter. No bolt ons at all. Completely stock. All normal maintenance done, he has receipts, even the original plastic from the seats. Sounds like a winner to me. Going to go look at it tomorrow night or Thursday night. He said no rush, he's not advertising it.

#8 ·
Well there yah go sounds like a plan. $9500 is a great price, but hey $9,000 is an even better one right? haha :smile:

#10 ·
Never hurts to ask and cash in hand talks. ha

#11 ·
I get where you are going with the question as far as long term value. This is a pretty comparable toss up but here's my 2 cents. You said that you think you could get the GT for $7,500, so that means he is asking more, so reality is you may only be looking at a difference in cost of around 1-1.5k for the GT vs the Mach.
In my opinion, if the GT, had say maybe 30-35k miles or was a Vert, then the cost difference of vs. long term potential would slide in favor of the GT. While there is nothing wrong with the GT's (I love mine, and I personally believe they will fetch a buck or two down the road)., but 25k miles and $1,500 for the Mach is still a better value and should hold stronger money down the road. Mach is more desirable, better performance, and as others have said, you know that it has been cared for.
If they had only made a Vert Mach that would be driving one of those instead of a GT (I am of the rare breed, that doesn't like the Cobra styling as much as GT or Mach).
Either way I think you will get a good car for the value, but that azure blue should seal the deal:grin:

#12 ·
Ok, thought I would post an update. Went to look at the Mach 1 tonight, took it for a drive. Very nice. No rattles, clutch is great. It did need tires. Got him to toss in a set of GT wheels with almost new tires. Found 1 scratch, a couple nicks in the hood and the seat has a few wear marks on the bolster but no rips. Wife isn't happy but I'm bringing it home Friday!

#15 ·
Congrats on the new bucket dude. Spend some time going through it; replace every fluid front to rear, any other little maintenance items you notice along the way - really just to familiarize yourself with the car and have a solid starting point and know for sure where the car stands as far as maintenance goes, and you will have a very solid reliable car that will likely outlast your desire to own it. Unless of course you form an emotional bond with cars like I tend to. If that's the case, good luck lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.