injector upgrade question - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue02 View Post
Jeeze LX, what happened there?
I was past the starting line and before I could backup and get staged they went to green. I just backed up and took my time and left when I was ready. The race was already over so I just practiced launching.
Usually they'll let you get staged before they "say go." But that was at the end of the night and the track had been down for awhile so they could cleanup an oil spill. So when they opened up the lanes again there were a lot of people and they were rushing.
I'd have smoked him, he was running 9 second 1/8's. Which is kinda lame in a car with no interior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
I was past the starting line and before I could backup and get staged they went to green. I just backed up and took my time and left when I was ready. The race was already over so I just practiced launching.
Usually they'll let you get staged before they "say go." But that was at the end of the night and the track had been down for awhile so they could cleanup an oil spill. So when they opened up the lanes again there were a lot of people and they were rushing.
I'd have smoked him, he was running 9 second 1/8's. Which is kinda lame in a car with no interior.
Makes sense, no point in damaging your car. Yeah, neither the rwhp nor the e/t is very impressive for what he told you it was.

I honestly will be pretty damn disappointed if I only wind up with 260rwhp after it is all said and done.
I'm not really all that dis satisfied with the stock performance of the little 2v, but am hoping to wake it up a little (I am more of a cruiser, and car show guy at this point).
To be perfectly honest. something like this is what I am hoping to achieve.
99 04 Mustang GT Cam Swap Package ? Alternaitve Auto
I realize this is just their advertisement and that reality can be a heart breaker, but jeeze for 260rwph, not even worth it. Really hope I don't wind up in that bad of shape.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense, no point in damaging your car. Yeah, neither the rwhp nor the e/t is very impressive for what he told you it was.

I honestly will be pretty damn disappointed if I only wind up with 260rwhp after it is all said and done.
I'm not really all that dis satisfied with the stock performance of the little 2v, but am hoping to wake it up a little (I am more of a cruiser, and car show guy at this point).
To be perfectly honest. something like this is what I am hoping to achieve.
99 04 Mustang GT Cam Swap Package ? Alternaitve Auto
I realize this is just their advertisement and that reality can be a heart breaker, but jeeze for 260rwph, not even worth it. Really hope I don't wind up in that bad of shape.
I bet he only started with 200 or less rear horse though. I imagine it was a higher mileage motor that he added used pi heads, intake, and some cams. Might have had stock cams for all I know but he said they were aftermarket. He might have said it was 270 something but I remember it wasn’t all that close to 300. I remember he was running 70 some odd mph in the 1/8 and thinking, “hmm, my maxima ran that fast with my kiddos car seat strapped in the back.” I was looking forward to racing him because I’m usually one of the slowest at the test & tune. I don’t believe it had any suspension mods, and I don’t know about exhaust. He was riding around on bald street tires though.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Yeah, I did come across that one some time ago. I dunno, I purchased this car 5 years ago with the original intentions of only doing pretty much what I have done up to this point and just enjoying it. I do enjoy her every summer (stored in the winters), but for the past 3 years or so, every year I always start thinking about cams and long tubes, and then I talk myself out of it.

I have thought about the F/I route also and always talk myself out of that one as well.
In a perfect world, I think what I am really looking for is an N/A motor that puts down similar power to a Mach 1 (just exchanging some of the higher RPM power for a little lower torque), pretty similar to that advertisement I posted.
I would have gone with a Mach if they only had made a convertible. I did look at some cobra's also (non-termi), but I am one weird guys that prefers the look of the GT to the cobra.

I think what I am chasing after is obtainable (at least I hope so), I am just trying to find the best recipe to get there and hopeful to not waste a whole lot of time or money in the process.

Who knows LX, I may wind up talking myself out of this again....lol
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Yeah, I did come across that one some time ago. I dunno, I purchased this car 5 years ago with the original intentions of only doing pretty much what I have done up to this point and just enjoying it. I do enjoy her every summer (stored in the winters), but for the past 3 years or so, every year I always start thinking about cams and long tubes, and then I talk myself out of it.

I have thought about the F/I route also and always talk myself out of that one as well.
In a perfect world, I think what I am really looking for is an N/A motor that puts down similar power to a Mach 1 (just exchanging some of the higher RPM power for a little lower torque), pretty similar to that advertisement I posted.
I would have gone with a Mach if they only had made a convertible. I did look at some cobra's also (non-termi), but I am one weird guys that prefers the look of the GT to the cobra.

I think what I am chasing after is obtainable (at least I hope so), I am just trying to find the best recipe to get there and hopeful to not waste a whole lot of time or money in the process.

Who knows LX, I may wind up talking myself out of this again....lol
I bet the fellas with Mach's wish they had more power too these days. This maxima ran a 13.9 for Pete's sake and this new '03 Mach ran a 13.8. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CnqiMgo52G0

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...tang-mach-1-2/

If you went the forced induction route you'd gain low end and top end (even with a centrifugal) and you'd closer to coyote type speed vs Mach. I know we aren't all racers (I'm not either), but I bet no one wants a slow sports car. It's tough to stay relevant these days. I spent quite a few dollars to make 332 rear horse (for my pockets anyway) and I'm still one of the slowst loud cars on the road. Are you going to install the headers and mid pipe yourself? If no, how much would that cost?
I bet the blower route would be pretty close to the cost of the cams/mid pipe bought and installed, and I bet you'd closer to 400 rear horse than 300.
I wouldn't want to spend $2k or so to be as fast as a new family sedan. I think I'd rather keep the money.

Last edited by 90lxwhite; 08-23-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I completely agree with you that the best dollar for horsepower investment a 2v owner can make is to go FI. I have looked into KB, torque tech, saleen, and centri's (i would have to go centri or remove my STB (and don't really want to do that). Shop cost will play a big factor. I know how much a pita long tubes are to put on, so I would payout for that, would plan to use my current O/R/H, but I am not a welder so I would need them to modify it to fit. If the end result put me closer to the 350ish brake horse, i think I can live w/ a 2k investment to get there. Now if the price is 25 or up. Or if we are talking 260-270 rwhp is all I get, it changes everything. Truth is there is always something faster, hell by the next decade if electrical cars take over, we may be complaining about how slow a hellcat is. IMO it wont matter, I still like my mustang better. Hell there are a lot of old muscle sports cars that are not as fast 0-60 as our 2v's that are worth a whole lot more $$ and are still BA and desireable. the reason i am leaning more n/a is because i am trying to maintain a real stock look and feel to everything. I guess i am trying to do everything kind of like it got ordered from Ford this way. I know its modified, any other mustang guy will know its modified, but that is why i shy away from a blower. Trust me man, I know i'm an odd ball...lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page